Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

t100 vs 3rd Gen 4runner tcase questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t100 vs 3rd Gen 4runner tcase questions

I've been searching all over hell and back trying to figure out if its possible to get the tcase from behind an A340F out of a 3.4l T100 (aka ~95-98) and get it to bolt up to the auto A340F out of a 3.4l 3rd Gen 4Runner. Basically I'm trying to swap a 3rd gen 4runner to a passenger side front output case, but stay as stock as possible by using the chain case and not have to get an adapter and not have to go to the gear case.

From the info I've gathered around the nets the past week or so I've been searching, the answers I've found are:
a) it will just bolt up (i'm skeptical); or
b) you can swap the tail-housing from the A340F auto from the 3.4l t100 over to the A340F auto from the 3.4l 4runner and then the t100 case will bolt right up; or
c) not possible. you have to swap the 3.4l t100 A340F with the tcase.
So, what say ye? Whats the real answer? And anybody have any pics or schematics of these that could help me (and I'm sure plenty of others out there) understand more clearly?

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 08-04-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the post!

So I've found this thread on Toyota Trail Riders where a guy SASd his tacoma and used a t100 case...he mentions issues with the shift rails (T100 forward shift vs. Taco top-shift), the coupling and of course the tail housing. However, he mentions at one point that he may have to use the t100 tranny to get it all to work. But, I couldn't figure out exactly what he ended up doing, so I've posted up there looking for an answer as well. If he did have to swap trannies, my next problem is that one of the posts I read somewhere (ttora perhaps?) seemed to indicate that the A340F in the 3rd Gen 4Runner was different than the A340F in the Tacoma and that the T100 case would actually work behind the A340F in the 3rd Gen 4Runner, but _not_ behind the A340F in the Tacoma.

A few searches on car-part.com using various years 4wd/AT 3rd Gen 4Runners and 4wd/AT 1st Gen Tacomas seemed to indicate the tranny and t-case could _not_ swap between the two, so that seems to indicate there are some differences between the Taco A340F and the 3rd Gen A340F....? I was actually thinking they would be the interchangeable...anybody know the difference(s)?

Any light anybody could care to shed on this topic would be GREATLY appreciated...

-Ferg-
Old 08-09-2010, 02:59 AM

And I've also found this post on TTORA that i believe to be the same guy as in that Toyota Trail Riders thread, but in this post he indicated the tranny/tcase combo he used was from behind a 3.0...

So I'm back to believing that the key to this working still hinges on the 3.4L versions...

And a side note that I've just thought about...the T100 case that guy has pics of is CLEARLY a chain driven case. From behind the 3.0... Joe, is yours that is pictured above also a chain driven? Maybe the only that changed in the T100 between years is the engine (from 3.0 to 3.4) and they kept the same auto and tcase?--I did see a thread where somebody said that, but it just seemed off... However, of course, a search on car-part.com for transfer case for 4wd T100 seems to indicate that the ~'95+ is not interchangeable with the earlier T100 case....

Man I can't wait til this is all figured out.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 AM

What are you up to Ben ..............break something .
Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 AM

this is very simple. T100 never came with a 340f passenger drop.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
this is very simple. T100 never came with a 340f passenger drop.
I have a hard time believing that. Can you link me a defining doc or provide me some other piece of defining info? I've read plenty of threads the past few weeks with plenty of different folks talking about the A340F throughout all years of the T100...and likewise that the T100 was always passenger front diff (it shares the same suspension design and many same components as the 2nd Gen 4Runner).

-Ferg-
Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by theferg
I have a hard time believing that. Can you link me a defining doc or provide me some other piece of defining info? I've read plenty of threads the past few weeks with plenty of different folks talking about the A340F throughout all years of the T100...and likewise that the T100 was always passenger front diff (it shares the same suspension design and many same components as the 2nd Gen 4Runner).

-Ferg-
The 2nd gen 4runner came with a 340f???????

Here is what I used for my research.....

Ill make it easy for you though. The T100 never had a passenger drop 340F

debate over.

Last edited by Dan.3; 08-09-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 AM

i just found a t100 pic with a passenger drop diff and transfercase. i dont know if its a automatic or what engine it has or what year but its a pic.
Attached Thumbnails t100 vs 3rd Gen 4runner tcase questions-t100liftrear2.jpg   t100 vs 3rd Gen 4runner tcase questions-t100lift1.jpg  
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 AM

The 2nd gen 4runner came with a 340f???????

Here is what I used for my research.....

Ill make it easy for you though. The T100 never had a passenger drop 340F

debate over.
No need to be a douche about it Mr High-n-Mighty. I also have been using for my "research". As well as Pirate4x4, yotatech, ih8mud, toyota trail riders and wherever the hell else I can find any info on this.

Since you won't just tell me, or post me a link (even a link of your all powerful search...) I can only assume that when you say "the t100 never had a passenger drop 340f", you are indicating it was another tranny or version of the 340, aka the 340h. Which I have also found in my searches. But, unless plenty of other people are wrong, you are wrong about the 340f not being in a T100 with a passenger drop tcase.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=t100+case
http://www.toolandfab.com/forum/show...hp?t=40&page=2
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2367
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=5580.0

Need me to find you some more to read? From now on, I'll be attaching a link in this thread to any piece of info I find that supports my thinking. You, sir, can feel free to stay on out of this thread (think you said something about "debate over") if you don't have any further substantial piece of information to help out in here.

And I don't believe I said the 2nd Gen came with the A340F....

-Ferg-
-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 08-09-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 AM

hey ferg have you looked into trying to mount one of the older geardriven t-case's sense there alot stronger then the chaindriven ones and there passenger side drop. although i dont know if it would mount to your transmission sense you have an automatic and sense the transmission to t-case bolt pattern may be different.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by warpigg
hey ferg have you looked into trying to mount one of the older geardriven t-case's sense there alot stronger then the chaindriven ones and there passenger side drop. although i dont know if it would mount to your transmission sense you have an automatic and sense the transmission to t-case bolt pattern may be different.
I have actually. It needs an adapter. Both marlin and inchworm make one now. I'm trying to avoid an adapter if possible.

-Ferg-
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM

No need to be a douche about it Mr High-n-Mighty. I also have been using for my "research". As well as Pirate4x4, yotatech, ih8mud, toyota trail riders and wherever the hell else I can find any info on this.

Since you won't just tell me, or post me a link (even a link of your all powerful search...) I can only assume that when you say "the t100 never had a passenger drop 340f", you are indicating it was another tranny or version of the 340, aka the 340h. Which I have also found in my searches. But, unless plenty of other people are wrong, you are wrong about the 340f not being in a T100 with a passenger drop tcase.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=t100+case
http://www.toolandfab.com/forum/show...hp?t=40&page=2
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2367
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=5580.0

Need me to find you some more to read? From now on, I'll be attaching a link in this thread to any piece of info I find that supports my thinking. You, sir, can feel free to stay on out of this thread (think you said something about "debate over") if you don't have any further substantial piece of information to help out in here.

And I don't believe I said the 2nd Gen came with the A340F....

-Ferg-
thought we were talking about the 3.4l in which the 340f passenger drop never came behind in a 3.4l t100.

the first gen 4runner also had a passenger drop 340f in it too

Have who ever you are buying the transfer case from send you a pic of tcase and compare it to your tcase see if it looks like it will match. Take measurements if you have too.

You should call marlin and find out if he knows. If it will match up you will need a speed sensor adpater from him since the 3.0 used an analog sensor and the 3.4 used a digital sensor. without a digital it you may have issues with the add 4wd not engaging. You would need to look at the EWD to know for sure though.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM

thought we were talking about the 3.4l in which the 340f passenger drop never came behind in a 3.4l t100.

the first gen 4runner also had a passenger drop 340f in it too

Have who ever you are buying the transfer case from send you a pic of tcase and compare it to your tcase see if it looks like it will match. Take measurements if you have too.

You should call marlin and find out if he knows. If it will match up you will need a speed sensor adpater from him since the 3.0 used an analog sensor and the 3.4 used a digital sensor. without a digital it you may have issues with the add 4wd not engaging. You would need to look at the EWD to know for sure though.
I appreciate your response. Much better this time.

Again, i apologize if my posts are confusing--I'm trying to wade through all the muck out there in the internets that is surrounding the T100. I don't get why there isn't a single person that can say for sure, and provide some substantial information regarding any of this. Is there no Toyota partsmen on any of these boards that can look up this stuff in their parts catalog and cross reference the part number to which transmission and transfer case?

BAMF--I actually am speaking about an A340F, with passenger drop, that came behind the 3.4L in the T100. Well, been speaking about a whole helluva lot of different muck, but ultimately, I am trying to figure out if it actually exists (I'm 99% sure it does) and if so, whether there is any way to get that tcase to bolt up to the A340F behind a 3.4L in the 3rd Gen 4Runner.

if you are so sure this doesn't exist, please tell me how/why. I honestly I would truly really appreciate some documentation of some sort that shows this as I have plenty of other threads from people stating it does exist and that they have one etc etc.

(In fact, I just got a response on a thread on marlin's forum from some guy stating he has just such a setup.)

Also, from Off Road Solutions FAQ page (they were the kings of 3.4L swaps). I've highlighted the good parts:

What automatic transmission can I use? Will my 3.0L auto transmission work with the 3.4L engine and computer?

You can use an A340 automatic transmission from a 3.4L or 3.0L application. ORS recommends the 3.4L version for a couple of reasons:

If the donor engine is from a Tacoma, 4Runner or Tundra the 3.0L version will not work flawlessly. The engine computer also operates the automatic transmission. There is a different type of output shaft speed sensor in the newer (3.4L version) transmissions that the ECU will be looking for. Unfortunately the 3.0L sensor is also not easily interchangeable with a newer type. This will create an imperfect shift pattern and a constant engine trouble code (check engine light).

T100 donor engines don’t share this problem. If you plan to use the 3.0L transmission a T100 donor engine will work well and is highly recommended.

Keep in mind that the 3.4L version of the A340 auto transmission was upgraded in performance and strength from the 3.0L version and may be worth the additional cost, see below.

In a 2WD applications transfer case issues don't apply and a 3.4L version of the auto transmission is highly recommended.

Will my transfer case work with a 3.4L version automatic or manual transmission?

No, and neither will the 3.4L transfer case.* You will need a gear-driven transfer case from a 1979-1995, 4-cylinder, manual transmission Truck or 1984-1993, 4-cylinder, manual transmission 4Runner. The transfer case must to be converted to or equipped with a 23-spline input shaft and top-shifting configuration. You will also need a Marlin Crawler transmission x transfer case adapter (available from ORS) for installation of this transfer case. Some of our A/T conversion kits are equipped with this adapter.

This transfer case is needed to correct the front driveshaft output. On Tacomas, 4Runners, and Tundras the front driveshaft output is on the driver side. On your vehicle it outputs on the passenger side.

*Unless you have a T-100 donor vehicle. If the donor 3.4L parts and transmission are from a T-100, the T100 front driveshaft output is on the passenger side (like yours). In this case the T100 transmission and transfer case would work without modification.

An Atlas transfer case can also be used behind some 3.4L transmissions. Advanced Adapters manufactures an adapter to make this happen. This would be ideal for hard-core applications that may require the additional strength.
They seem to have some good info, however, its still not quite clear because there is no mention of the A340F (or any other tranny) in the second section where they state that using the transmission (with passenger drop) from the T100 donor 3.4L is a great idea... However, if the auto and tcase off the vehicle you are swapping the 3.0L out of is the A340H, and so is the tranny from the T100 donor, wouldn't it be a moot point and not even worth mentioning as being a great idea?--especially given the fact that in the first section they state that the 3.4L from a T100 would be a great candidate because it works fantastically with the auto tranny from behind the 3.0L.....?

This says to me that there indeed is T100s with the 3.4L, with the A340F, with passenger drop.

Somebody please find some part numbers of something to clear any of this info up!

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 08-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM

the only passenger drop behind the 3.4l(5vz) in the t100 was the 340h. I have been through a 3.4 swap. I know of all the options. thefallman was one that used a 340h out of a 95.5 t100 for a 3.4 swap. so that all the connections plugged right in. From 96 on the t100 along with the tacos and 4runners where driver side drop 340f's. With the help from thefallman I used my existing 340h from my 88 4runner 3.4 swap.

Dont ask me why toyota did a 340h behind a 3.4.. It makes no sense at all to go from a 340f behind the 3.0 from 93-95, 340h behind the 3.4 in 95.5 but, then back to an 340f but this time a driver side drop 96-98. I couldnt tell you and Im sure nobody else could either.

And by the way. the atlas transfer case is if you used the AW4 out of a jeep. The toy tcase will not bolt to an AW4

Last edited by Dan.3; 08-09-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM

if you are doing an sas on a 3rd gen why wouldnt you want to get an adapter to mount a gear drive tcase?????
Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 PM

the only passenger drop behind the 3.4l(5vz) in the t100 was the 340h. I have been through a 3.4 swap. I know of all the options. thefallman was one that used a 340h out of a 95.5 t100 for a 3.4 swap. so that all the connections plugged right in. From 96 on the t100 along with the tacos and 4runners where driver side drop 340f's. With the help from thefallman I used my existing 340h from my 88 4runner 3.4 swap.

Dont ask me why toyota did a 340h behind a 3.4.. It makes no sense at all to go from a 340f behind the 3.0 from 93-95, 340h behind the 3.4 in 95.5 but, then back to an 340f but this time a driver side drop 96-98. I couldnt tell you and Im sure nobody else could either.

And by the way. the atlas transfer case is if you used the AW4 out of a jeep. The toy tcase will not bolt to an AW4
Again, this still does not sound right. I've never heard of a factory drivers side front output in a T100. Everything I have ever read has stated that all years of the T100 has passenger side front output tcase, and had a near identical front torsion IFS setup as the 2nd Gen 4Runner (they share an interchangeable front diff at the very least but I believe a whole slew of other parts as well).

And in a similar thread over on Marlins forum, there are two guys stating they both have 3.4L/A340F with the passenger front output chain driven case, both from 97 T100s. And one of them is still in the 97 T100 with that setup though he is stating he converted from forward shift to top shift tcase. (Which i thought I had read somewhere that all forward shift 340s were actually 340H... again, why the hell nobody knows the real answers to this stuff, and can provide documentation, is driving me freaking nuts!)

I've been searching the local classifieds for later years T100s for sale near me to just go see for myself (and taking some damn pics) but have yet to find any near enough to me to go have a look.

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 08-10-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 AM

my t100 has the passenger drop
Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to open this thread back up. I'm curious theferg, how did things work out? I am currently in the middle of the conversion as well and we have a 3.4 from a 99 taco and a 97 T100 tranny and tcase - we've read this is a good match. according to what we've read, there are a couple of pins that need to be relocated in the harness to match up to the T100, but that, for the most part, things are pretty easy with this setup. We've had a lot of issues figuring out which tranny and tcase to use and i'm hoping this set up worked out for you. Do you have any advice? did you run into any issues? we're a little concerned that the tcase shifter doesnt' match up with the tcase shifter in my 91 runner.

Last edited by cospringsrunner; 06-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used the stock gear drive tc on my swap with a marlin adapter and stock mount. i have a 96 T100 engine that i was going to use, but did not because of missing parts ,harness ect. but it did have an auto with a passenger side drop chain drive transfer case.
i did not get the trans and transfer case. i used a 4 runner engine, trans, harness and ecu from the same car. my tc shifter issue was solved with two blocks of wood in the vice and a little bending. not as many people swap auto's. mtn goat has a auto swap thread in the 3.4 section look at the stickies at the top of the page. good luck with the swap ...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It'd be cool to have a T100 doner and use the engine and trans as a unit. But, I would not go out of my way to find an inferior (in strength) T100 chain transfer case just for the passenger side output. If you're going to have to use time/effort/money, get an adapter and gear drive case. Again, if you already have it, by all means, run it. The wiring is cake. And you're not going to be able to use the stock shifters with an auto swap anyway.

Quick Reply: t100 vs 3rd Gen 4runner tcase questions