Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suspension for my Double Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WATRD- I'm not trying to argue or anything, but I think you might of gotten some duds. Because the only bad things i've ever read about Bilsteins was in the post. I have just never had a bad experience with Bilsteins. It could be some other part of your suspension is making the ride harsh, because my friend's Tacoma is pretty much stock (just 31" tires, and a K&N Air Filter) and it rides great. I'm just going by how my friend's truck rode with Bilsteins.

-Braden
Old 10-08-2002, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 91Runner
WATRD- I'm not trying to argue or anything, but I think you might of gotten some duds. Because the only bad things i've ever read about Bilsteins was in the post. I have just never had a bad experience with Bilsteins. It could be some other part of your suspension is making the ride harsh, because my friend's Tacoma is pretty much stock (just 31" tires, and a K&N Air Filter) and it rides great. I'm just going by how my friend's truck rode with Bilsteins.

-Braden
No worries.

I had a pretty high opinion of Bil's back in the day... my Jeep rode on them as did a few of my other 4x4's and muscle cars. But since changing to the Tacoma's and hearing that everyone else had the same experience that I had, I am pretty down on Bil's for the Tacoma. Yours is only the second 'good' story about Bil's that I have heard in six years or so of hanging with the Taco crew.

But, it's good to voice both sides. That's the only way that someone will get all the information they need to make an informed decision.

On an unrelated note, please forgive me if I seemed argumentative. After hanging with TTORA for the past couple of years and hearing the same stories over and over again, I forget that many of the folks on this board have not had the benefit of of listening to several thousand owners of the same vehicle, try out combinations of mods and debate the pro's and con's for hours and hours. There are certain things that we take for granted over there; Bil's are bad, the deckplate sounds neat but doesn't result in a dyno gain, the Helix Power Tower is snake oil and the like. But here, it's a whole new ball game.

I will continue to voice my opinion and what I have seen in practice. Some may listen, Some may not, :pat: and still others just need to learn things for themselves,

In the end, it's all good.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Rob, you got that shower in yet
One of my few mods left to still do.

I'm a little worried about cutting the heater line. I am not sure if I'll enquire the help of Doxon on that, or get with someone on the board here when I purchace it.
Corey
Old 10-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey
Rob, you got that shower in yet
One of my few mods left to still do.

I'm a little worried about cutting the heater line. I am not sure if I'll enquire the help of Doxon on that, or get with someone on the board here when I purchace it.
Corey
I have it sitting in my living room, ready to go... Now I just have to find the time to get it in and plumbed.

Just be sure to cut the line after the heater controls
Old 10-08-2002, 06:35 PM

back to suspension...

just looked at that cornfred site. WOW! i think im sold.
full 3" lift kit. $285 + $25 shipping on the east coast. comes with rear AALs, new shocks, and the brake line extender thingy... and the front spacers. or maybe thats not with the spacers, because it seems kind of cheap to include them. either way, the front spacers are only 150 + 10 shipping. thats less than the revtek, and uses AALs. mmmmmm i am geting excited just thinking about it.

how much to have someone install all this? i dont want to do it myself. not too much labor, is there?
Old 10-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Re: back to suspension...

Originally posted by rowan
just looked at that cornfred site. WOW! i think im sold.
full 3" lift kit. $285 + $25 shipping on the east coast. comes with rear AALs, new shocks, and the brake line extender thingy... and the front spacers. or maybe thats not with the spacers, because it seems kind of cheap to include them. either way, the front spacers are only 150 + 10 shipping. thats less than the revtek, and uses AALs. mmmmmm i am geting excited just thinking about it.

how much to have someone install all this? i dont want to do it myself. not too much labor, is there?
Join up with the local TTORA chapter and you find the member prices to be even better.

The install is EASY. We have it down to about four hours for the complete kit. No big deal and beyond the spring compressors for the front, it can be done with normal tools you might already have. You may be able to find a garage that will install user carried in parts, but many won't do it for liability reasons anymore.

Your best bet might be to find a group of local enthusiasts with a garage and tools and pay beer and pizza to have it installed if you are dead set against doing it yourself.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:52 PM

i dont really want to do anything myself, to my own truck. i need to learn some @#$@ first. maybe on someone elses... but not mine! there are a couple of local places that will do it im sure. one of which would be really cheap.... but last time i was up there, they weren't too nice to me. maybe because i made them replace my dad's spider gears and ring and pinion in my dad's yukon xl. haha. i might go there though, or i have another place in mind... which would be more expensive.

WATRD, if its so easy, why dont you head over here and help me with it? heheheh jk
Old 10-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: confused

Originally posted by trdtacoma01
I'm confused, some people tell me the bilsteins are good for ride comfort others tell me it will be bumpier. Honestly, at this point I dont think I'm going to lift it, it will be more $ than just shocks and I dont really need it in a 2WD although it would look cool lifted. Anyway, I have heard a lot about HD Bilsteins being much better than the Tokico shocks on the TRD Double Cab, I think anything is better than these. Also, I hear some people recommend the Revtek, others dont, others say spacers suck, others say they are ok, and others say they are good, same goes for coilovers, I am just too confused. Also, I wanted to add that I rode in a TRD Tundra today and it too is much smoother than my Tacoma, does the TRD Tundra have Bilsteins?
Welcome to the world of opinions! I don't know about thousands, but at least hundreds of people on ttora say there's not much you can do, it is a truck. I say go with the statistics.

Also, since you have 2wd then you can probably go up to 3".

The reason the tundra won so many awards is because of it's soft ride. Two of my brothers each have a tundra and they both say they're too soft. They "wallow" too much.

Check your tire pressure and make sure their not up at 40+ psi.

Steve
Old 10-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rowan
i dont really want to do anything myself, to my own truck. i need to learn some @#$@ first. maybe on someone elses... but not mine! there are a couple of local places that will do it im sure. one of which would be really cheap.... but last time i was up there, they weren't too nice to me. maybe because i made them replace my dad's spider gears and ring and pinion in my dad's yukon xl. haha. i might go there though, or i have another place in mind... which would be more expensive.

WATRD, if its so easy, why dont you head over here and help me with it? heheheh jk
Hmmm... I have always wanted to visit Maine...
Old 10-08-2002, 10:16 PM

cornfed???

ok, so what is this new cornfed lift kit. Is this like the Revtek, if so, is it better and why. I still havent ruled out the possibility of lifting her but I want to make sure if I do go that route, to get a good quality kit. Also what are these AAL's, are they shocks? If so, how do they compare to the Bilstein HD's.

Thanks again
Old 10-09-2002, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

new choice

Well let me add a other choice. Total Chaos,this is a real suspension systems not just a lift. With Total Chaos you get 13in of working travel.:eek: Just a thoughthttp://www.chaosfab.com/
Old 10-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Re: cornfed???

Originally posted by trdtacoma01
ok, so what is this new cornfed lift kit. Is this like the Revtek, if so, is it better and why. I still havent ruled out the possibility of lifting her but I want to make sure if I do go that route, to get a good quality kit. Also what are these AAL's, are they shocks? If so, how do they compare to the Bilstein HD's.

Thanks again
The Cornfed kit is not new. He has been producing spacers for various coilover suspensions for years. He is a longtime TTORA member and his kits are cheaper and better quality than the Revtek. There are two easy ways to lift the rear of a Tacoma. One is blocks, the other is AAL's or "Add A Leaf". They are an additional leaf that is inserted at the bottom of the leaf pack that increases the curve of the pack, causing lift. The Revtek comes with blocks that can break and which increase axle wrap. The Cornfed system has AAL's, which decrease axle wrap.

To lift a Tacoma with spacers, you need to spacers for the front, AAL's or blocks for the rear, a BPV or Brake Proportioning Valve bracket and rear shocks. That is it.

A spacer lift is not a good long term option with the TRD progressive springs, due to the sagging and coil bind caused by their installation. You may start out with 3" when the lift is first installed, but eventually it'g going to sag down to 2.5" or 2" and since the coils are now binding, the ride will be worse.

Most of us with time spent with the Tacoma suspensions avoid the Bilstein shocks like the plague. They are too stiff. But, there are those on this board who seem to feel otherwise, so Caveat Emptor.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:50 PM

WATRD, i would've said the same thing... drink to that

that chaos fab stuff looks nice, but WAY expensive. i think cornfred is the answer for me.

what im i still doing up? goodnight!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:35 PM

Hey Rob (WATRD)!

You make the rounds Mr! It is good to see you sharing your information around different boards. I love reading what you have to say. You are very knowledgeable (sp?) and have great insight in regards to our trucks. Take care bud, and see you on the TTORA board!

Clay
Old 10-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AutoRotate
Hey Rob (WATRD)!

You make the rounds Mr! It is good to see you sharing your information around different boards. I love reading what you have to say. You are very knowledgeable (sp?) and have great insight in regards to our trucks. Take care bud, and see you on the TTORA board!

Clay
Clay! Nice to see you here!

I appreciate the compliments. Corey and I frequent a few of the same trails, utilize the same dealer and generally cross paths from time to time, so I thought I might lurk around a bit here. There are a some good folks here and I thought that some of them might be able to benefit from my years of wheeling and time spent wrenching on the Tacoma, not to mention that I might pick up a thing or two along the way

It's pretty slow around here still, at least compared to the national TTORA board, but things seem to be picking up. Once we get a few more people with knowledge and experience aboard and can put a few "old wives tales" to rest, this could be a killer board

It's nice to see some folks here who are concerned with keeping their rigs looking nice as well as making them perform. I have always liked the idea of wheeling, but keeping the carnage to a minimum. If you started a thread about which running boards looked best, you would get your hat handed to you over there hehehheh I tend to run to the hardcore end of this crowd, but I like being able the pick up stuff that I wouldn't otherwise read

Keep in touch! It is good to see some familiar faces starting to show up around here
Old 10-10-2002, 10:54 AM

I completely agree Rob. I don't like shredding my truck when I'm wheeling, but that doesn't mean that I don't wheel. I have ventured over to the pirate board as well from time to time and it really is a shame to see the attitudes over there. There is so much information over there that you can get overwhelmed, yet you have to get past all the name calling in regards to your IFS truck before the solid axle guys will ask anything. This poor guy posted on that board about some fender flares on his non-lifted Tacoma Prerunner. The guy was completely blasted. I think that is pathetic. Anyway, take care of yourself and I'll talk with you later.

Clay
Old 10-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I too believe in not gashing & bashing the rig.
If I had Bill Gate's $$$, then I could care less, but when you have one rig for your double D, and to use on weekends, you tend to take better care of it.

I enjoy getting out in the hills a lot, but I'm not there to ruin my rig I have poured thousands of dollars into.
I'm there for the awesome scenery and to have fun getting there and being there.
The Toy does just fine for my purpose.

Yes, I got slammed a few years back over at POR for asking what the best type of paint to use on Aisin manual hubs was.
A few actually came to my defense as they were interested in painting theirs also.

I pretty much stopped even going there to look at some of the killer rigs.
Plus I hate pop ups. Pop up ads are just plain evil.
And if I want to see nice rigs, there are other forums with galleries I can gawk at.
Corey