Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger off, labor and price

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2.4l 1985 goes fater than 85 on flat highway... something is definately wrong if a truck with a s/c and anotehr liter with 2 more cyliners cant go faster than my truck, which has seen easily over 100 mph
Old 11-03-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barrafp
I will give these suggestions on fixes a shot. I still have a couple of months with this SC
Hi Allen,

About a month ago, I had trd do a buyback on my s/c. After running the s/c for almost 4 yrs and 55k miles. I had South Bay Toyota do the labor. trd is supposed to pay the dealer for the labor, I'm supposed to receive my check from trd within the week.

I had the infamous pinging and then the oil leaking. I tried everything trd recommended to eliminate the pinging - chevron 91 octane gas, ect button engaged, 2 step colder spark plugs, trd colder thermostat, they even installed the infamous 'ping' pulley (larger diameter for less boost). Still pinged until the end. The kicker for me was when the normal s/c rattling at idle started getting louder. I figured it was due to the lack of oil in the unit since all of the oil was now on the outside of the s/c - D'OH! Two years ago, I had taken the vehicle to the dealer when I noticed the oil leaking out of the s/c nose. I did this when I was still under warranty. trd claimed that some of the s/c units had too much oil in them and that leaking was normal. Right. I could buy that if the leaking occurred early on, but I had already had the s/c for 2 yrs and 30k miles. So, rather than push for a warranty replacement, I pushed for a buyback. I've never been happy about having an incomplete s/c that pinged - I've contemplated the fuel mods, but never did 'em. Anyway, after having to write a pretty forceful email to trd, they agreed to the buyback.

The buyback included:
- removal/buyback of s/c
- re-install of stock manifold
- removal/buyback of boost gauge
- replacement of a-pillar molding
- replacement of fan belt cover
- removal/buyback of spark plugs
- re-install my oem spark plugs
- removal/buyback of trd thermo
- install of oem thermo
- labor to perform all of the above work

I hope you kept receipts and have some leverage for a buyback . . .

Good luck!

Steve.