95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Strange sound coming from behind the console

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange sound coming from behind the console

Hey guys:

Okay, I really need some help here. It hasn't affected performance (that I've noticed) but it's happening with more frequency.

I thought I heard a rustling sound a few weeks back that sounded like my CD player was reorienting the laser so that it wouldn't lose it's place (my stereo wasn't on) so I ejected the disc and didn't think much of it.

Later on I heard the same thing but the CD player was empty.

It sounds kind of like gear movement (like when the CD laser is tracking) and a little like something rustling underneath heavy plastic. I can't quite explain it.

Now I'm hearing it quite a lot and I can't figure out what the heck it is. I have noticed that when I have my system on VENT, I get alternating cool and warm air (when the dial is cranked all the way on cold). It's not drastic but noticeable.

I have a hard time tracking this sound as it sounds like it's coming from the passenger seat and behind the glove compartment - which further leads me to believe that it's behind the dash and I'm hearing the sounds through the HVAC vents.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

My A/C works fine, by the way.
Haven't checked the heater.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a total guess, but it kinda sounds like coolant is leaking into the heater core when the heat should be off. The noise might be gurgling from some air bubbles that are squeezing by the valve.

See if your heater controller needs to be adjusted, there should be some cables back there and an adjustment. (I have no idea how to do this though).

This begs the question why are there air bubbles in the coolant (if there are air bubbles in there)? Check your oil cap for a milky substance and the coolant for engine oil, tell tale signs of a headgasket failure. However, I doubt this is the problem. Sometimes, there's just air in the system that hasn't been purged.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:35 PM

When I change my vent control from recirculate to fresh air it makes a similar sound to what you're describing. Maybe something is shorted out and causing it to keep opening and shutting. Push that button and see if it causes the sound you keep hearing.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

I just went out to check it out and for a while the sound was pretty constant. I wasn't able to tell if I was causing it or if it was doing it on its own.

After a few minutes the sound frequecy died a bit and my pushing the circulate button doesn't cause a sound.
One thing I remembered though is that when it's on circulate the air comes out a bit more powerfully. When I have it on vent it's pretty much consistent. The temperature just fluctuates - maybe that's normal.

Rob:
That was my original thinking as well but I can't find any way to really prove this. I was hoping that somebody else might have run into this problem and had it taken care of.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

Blower Motor has "trash" in it...

I had the same problem...it is "trash" in the blower motor. I took the glove box out. Right above where the passenger's right foot would be you will see a circular black component...this is the blower motor. First remove the glovebox and the metal support cross-bar. Disconnect the power supplies to the blower motor and remove the 3 screws holding it in place. Remove the motor. Now when I did this I found the fan was crammed full of leaves and cigarette butts...I don't know how they got in there but it was amazing how much trash had ended up in the fan assembly of the blower. I took the fan out...cleaned it and sprayed some WD-40 on the shaft. I then reinstalled the fan into the housing, installed the 3 screws that I removed, re-connected the 2 power cables and re-installed the glove box...VOILA no more noise. I am pretty sure this is the problem you are having...Let me know if you need any assistance. My digital camera is OOC right now but I will do my best to lend a hand via email.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:19 AM

I had a problem similar to yours a couple of months ago, but I think a bug had gotten caught behind the dash/in the vents and was trying to get out. I could've been wrong, but the sound is no longer there.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

I just thought I'd revive this in case anyone had similar problems (I doubt it)

I recently ejected a tape that I had in the deck and haven't heard any sounds since. I could have SWORN that the sound was there before I put the tape in but hey... no sounds, I ain't complainin'
Old 12-02-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently ejected a tape
...dude, what a "tape"?

Man, I haven't even TOUCHED an audio cassette tape in years! Its filed in my mind with 8-tracks!

Glad you got the problem fixed, though I did learn more about the blower motor and how to check that.

Bob
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Strange sound coming from behind the console

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Hey guys:

Okay, I really need some help here. It hasn't affected performance (that I've noticed) but it's happening with more frequency.

I thought I heard a rustling sound a few weeks back that sounded like my CD player was reorienting the laser so that it wouldn't lose it's place (my stereo wasn't on) so I ejected the disc and didn't think much of it.

Later on I heard the same thing but the CD player was empty.

It sounds kind of like gear movement (like when the CD laser is tracking) and a little like something rustling underneath heavy plastic. I can't quite explain it.

Now I'm hearing it quite a lot and I can't figure out what the heck it is. I have noticed that when I have my system on VENT, I get alternating cool and warm air (when the dial is cranked all the way on cold). It's not drastic but noticeable.

I have a hard time tracking this sound as it sounds like it's coming from the passenger seat and behind the glove compartment - which further leads me to believe that it's behind the dash and I'm hearing the sounds through the HVAC vents.

Anybody have any ideas?

Could be Gremlins. Watch out those things are crazy, and by god whatever you do don't let them touch water. Be very careful

Ok just kidding I didn't have a good answer so I thought in replace of good knowledge I would just give some comic relief.

Last edited by Jonathan; 12-02-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
...dude, what a "tape"?

Man, I haven't even TOUCHED an audio cassette tape in years! Its filed in my mind with 8-tracks!

Glad you got the problem fixed, though I did learn more about the blower motor and how to check that.

Bob
Since my girlfriend is 75 miles away from me I find that on some of the late night drives it helps to have an old radio drama or books on tape to keep my interest up.
Along with caffeine, Jolly Ranchers, gum, and sunflower seeds

EDIT:
I think the fact that I had no idea what the heck that sound was after having owned my truck for over 2 years is a testament as to how much I use the tape deck
Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Strange sound coming from behind the console

Originally posted by Jonathan
Could be Gremlins. Watch out those things are crazy, and by god whatever you do don't let them touch water. Be very careful

Ok just kidding I didn't have a good answer so I thought in replace of good knowledge I would just give some comic relief.
No, my gremlins are somewhere in the rear suspension cause they squeak whenever I go over a speed bump... and they must be outside and getting wet cause there seems to be an increasing amount of sqeaking each time :pat:
Old 12-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Strange sound coming from behind the console

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
No, my gremlins are somewhere in the rear suspension cause they squeak whenever I go over a speed bump... and they must be outside and getting wet cause there seems to be an increasing amount of sqeaking each time :pat: