Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Some weekend mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
x2. I did the ISR when I did my deckplate, and it sounds great. I did mine a little different than yours, Rocko, I followed Atwinda's writeup, but it achieves the same purpose. Fun stuff!
yeah I really wanna follow I think it is Tony_4Runner's ISR MOD, but this one will do for now, he did his beautifully out of a tube of Delrin plastic and a nipple and it looks great!!! But this one, like I said in my thread costs under $7 and took like 20 minutes. lol.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

drguitarum2005 - Awesome job on the rims. They look great.

Originally Posted by YotaFun
Thanks!!
I figured I would have to sand them a bit...
YotaFun - Im no expert with painting but when I was painting steel projects we used Muriatric Acid. Its a very good cleaning agent and also acts as a small sander/etcher to the metal. It worked very well seeing the projects came out better after cleaning with the acid than when not.

As drguitarum2005 mentioned your prob gonna need something to etch it. This is just one more way to do it. Just my 2 cents on it.

Oh and if you do use it....be VERY careful....It is kinda dangerous, so use rubber gloves, and a mask, and then make sure you rinse and dry off the metal after using it so that it wont rust. The acid seems to speed up the rusting process. If you have any detailed questions about it let me know. Ill try my best to help.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elkaholic
YotaFun - Im no expert with painting but when I was painting steel projects we used Muriatric Acid. Its a very good cleaning agent and also acts as a small sander/etcher to the metal. It worked very well seeing the projects came out better after cleaning with the acid than when not.

As drguitarum2005 mentioned your prob gonna need something to etch it. This is just one more way to do it. Just my 2 cents on it.

Oh and if you do use it....be VERY careful....It is kinda dangerous, so use rubber gloves, and a mask, and then make sure you rinse and dry off the metal after using it so that it wont rust. The acid seems to speed up the rusting process. If you have any detailed questions about it let me know. Ill try my best to help.
Thanks alot for all the info and advise...
When the time come I will def PM you...
It's getting cold now around here...
So I am thinking of waiting till early spring so I wont have to contest with salt and such since snow I am sure is right around the corner....
Again thanks alot though...
I can already see the Runner the way I want it...
:bounce2:
Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

rims look 100x better now
Old 11-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by dexter
rims look 100x better now
thanks, i like them
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 PM

I used the same paint on my 4runner rims, and its been a few months, and durable i must say, also used chassi saver on my frame, its a paint that kind soaks into the metal but beaware if you get it on your skin its going to be their for awhile, paint thinner will not get it off. the company makes a special thinner for it. Its the bomd for anything you have thats rusty, dries rock hard, and will not chip. Comes in satin blk, gloss blk, and silver as far as i know of.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SteelHound
I used the same paint on my 4runner rims, and its been a few months, and durable i must say, also used chassi saver on my frame, its a paint that kind soaks into the metal but beaware if you get it on your skin its going to be their for awhile, paint thinner will not get it off. the company makes a special thinner for it. Its the bomd for anything you have thats rusty, dries rock hard, and will not chip. Comes in satin blk, gloss blk, and silver as far as i know of.
Yeah I need some of that chassi paint to...
Will do that when summer comes...
And maybe a Body Lift...
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 AM

Yea, that rim paint is also good to paint the black in between the side front and rear windows, pillars i guess you woud call them, mine was faded, all nasty looking so i used what had left