Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Smoothest ride for 3rd Gen 4Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoothest ride for 3rd Gen 4Runner...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but all the other threads have usually talked about shocks for offroading and stuff. All I want is a SMOOTH ride. Which shocks should I get for the smoothest ride? Bilsteins? Also, does the spring have an affect on the ride comfort? Do you think those should be changed as well? I have about 90k on my 4runner now and I do not believe that either has ever been changed. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JMT529
Sorry if this has been asked before, but all the other threads have usually talked about shocks for offroading and stuff. All I want is a SMOOTH ride. Which shocks should I get for the smoothest ride? Bilsteins? Also, does the spring have an affect on the ride comfort? Do you think those should be changed as well? I have about 90k on my 4runner now and I do not believe that either has ever been changed. Thanks.
I think for a smooth ride, throw a set of Bilsteins on. I don't think there will be any smoother springs than the OEM set.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Away

I disagree. The smoothest ride, by FAR, is with SAW's up front and either Downey/Bilstein or OME/OME in the rear. That setup rides WAY better than the stock ever would.

My .02
G
Old 02-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

You will not get a smoother ride from Bilsteins. If anything, it will probably be worse. The Bilsteins will get rid of the floaty, bouncy feeling when you go over humps in the road but they will not make your 4Runner ride like a car. I asked the same thing shortly after buying my 4Runner, and it's just the way the 3rd gens are. They are definitely not the smoothest vehicles on road, but they are pretty tough off road.

Matt
Old 02-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say stock springs, spacers (if you need em) and OME (old man emu) shocks.
That will be pretty plush and definately soak up some bumps.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-20-2004 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

Good tires also make a difference in ride comfort. Old worn tires or over inflated tires can be hard as rocks.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:27 PM

I have ranchos. the rear are 9000's with the remote so you can adjust the stiffness 'on the fly' from 1-9, soft to hard. love them
Old 02-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Use stock springs and Old Man Emu Firm shocks. I think you will find that OME shocks will give you a smooth ride. Don't let the Firm fool you. It seems that is more on the rebound side which is good for control.

Gadget
Old 02-20-2004, 07:26 AM

Gadget,

I have been trying to figure out this shock issue too. I am looking for a smooth, controlled (not harsh) ride because I only venture off road about 10 percent of the time. I currently have Bilsteins which handle great but are way too stiff for the crappy roads where I drive daily. I just want a more controlled ride (not floaty like stock) that isn't harsh. Would you recommend the OME firm shocks over their comfort shocks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

To add a little to what Gadget said, it is important to note that OME shocks are low pressure, while Bilstiens are high pressure. This means that they will dampen bumbs differently. I actually have OME comfort shocks in the front and firm in the rear (with OME 881/891 coils) and really like the way it handles compared to stock, that is until my rear coils decided to sag, but thats another story...

And what ALBPM said about tires and tire pressure is also important...check that, too.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:09 AM

YES.

Gadget
Old 02-20-2004, 08:30 AM

Anyone know the techical difference between high pressure and low pressure shocks? Also what would be the pros and cons of each? Just curious......
Old 02-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bbeast
Anyone know the techical difference between high pressure and low pressure shocks? Also what would be the pros and cons of each? Just curious......
High pressure = sports car like, corners flatter, harsh on bumps
Low pressure = off-road, soak up bumps, more body roll, comfort on road
Old 02-20-2004, 09:01 AM

So, in theory, for on-road driving and handling the combination of ADDCO sway bars, progresive rate springs and OME FIRM shocks should give us the best of both worlds........ flat cornering with controlled reflexes and a "smooth" ride. Any comments?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bbeast
So, in theory, for on-road driving and handling the combination of ADDCO sway bars, progresive rate springs and OME FIRM shocks should give us the best of both worlds........ flat cornering with controlled reflexes and a "smooth" ride. Any comments?
The addco bars are good, OME firms are good but the PP springs may be a bit harsh.
The stock springs are the softest ride (be sure to get the 99+ springs in there if you don't have em).
Old 02-20-2004, 10:42 AM

What's the difference between the 99+ springs and the 96-98 springs? Also, are you talking front and back springs or just the rears?

Does anyone have an idea what the difference is between the OME comfort shocks and the OME firm shocks? Which would be better to use with the stock springs?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

I'd really like some opinions also. What is the difference between 99+ springs and 96-98.

I'm currently thinking PP 1-inch lift springs, OME firms, and Bridgestone AT
Revos 265/75-16.

I drive on road, but they are rough rural mountain county roads and I'll see lots of dirt, snow, and gravel.

thanks all
Old 02-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mgspann
I'd really like some opinions also. What is the difference between 99+ springs and 96-98.

I'm currently thinking PP 1-inch lift springs, OME firms, and Bridgestone AT
Revos 265/75-16.

I drive on road, but they are rough rural mountain county roads and I'll see lots of dirt, snow, and gravel.

thanks all
In 99+ they changed the springs to be just slightly stiffer to help with the sagging problem on years before.

I will be running almost the exact same setup but using OME springs as well.
I don't think the PP springs are very well suited for offroad at all....very stiff.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

How much lift do the OME provide? I don't want to make very many other modifications. I can do the diff drop, but I don't want to mess with cv angles, exhaust, etc.

Do you like this set up from xtreme?

One set of Old Man Emu front coils
One set of Old Man Emu front firm struts
One set of Old Man Emu rear coils
One set of Old Man Emu rear shocks
One set of Old Man Emu 5mm Trimpackers
Old 02-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mgspann
How much lift do the OME provide? I don't want to make very many other modifications. I can do the diff drop, but I don't want to mess with cv angles, exhaust, etc.

Do you like this set up from xtreme?

One set of Old Man Emu front coils
One set of Old Man Emu front firm struts
One set of Old Man Emu rear coils
One set of Old Man Emu rear shocks
One set of Old Man Emu 5mm Trimpackers
That is the one I am getting!
Make sure to get the diff drop with it too.....it's a must have for long term reliability.

Quick Reply: Smoothest ride for 3rd Gen 4Runner...