Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SEAFOAM and Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SEAFOAM and Superchargers

Greetings I have read most of the Seaform thread and did not see anything about using this product with the S/C. I looked at the brake booster hose entry method and had a concern about the Seafoam entering the engine via the S/C. Does the Brake Booster line draw vacuum from behind the S/C rotors? Or does it draw vacuum ahead of the rotors or in the middle of the blower. I really dont want to draw this stuff through the blower and risk any kind of damage. I know that fuel passes through the blower, but I would rather have the motor injest the Seafoam beyond the blower. Is there another ported vacuum/pvc location that is beyond the supercharger? thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

if the hose has vacuum to it, its after the supercharger, because if it was before, it would have no vacuum
Old 07-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Banned

Nope, you're wrong.. If the hose is BEFORE the supercharger, then it will have vacuum. If it's AFTER then it will be pressurized and bleed off your boost and you can't get anything to go in when air is coming out.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um, unless the supercharger is in boost, there is a vaccum on both sides of the impellers. At idle, the vanes in the impeller are just loping along, not providing boost.

Hook up a boost guage and check it out
Old 07-02-2004, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WATRD
Um, unless the supercharger is in boost, there is a vaccum on both sides of the impellers. At idle, the vanes in the impeller are just loping along, not providing boost.

Hook up a boost guage and check it out
your right Rob, i wasn't thinking, i forgot about the throttle body, anything after that would have vacuum while idling
Old 07-04-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by metalhed
Greetings I have read most of the Seaform thread and did not see anything about using this product with the S/C. I looked at the brake booster hose entry method and had a concern about the Seafoam entering the engine via the S/C. Does the Brake Booster line draw vacuum from behind the S/C rotors? Or does it draw vacuum ahead of the rotors or in the middle of the blower. I really dont want to draw this stuff through the blower and risk any kind of damage. I know that fuel passes through the blower, but I would rather have the motor injest the Seafoam beyond the blower. Is there another ported vacuum/pvc location that is beyond the supercharger? thanks
Seafoam is safe to use on supercharged engines (according to Seafoam), and while I have never done so, several people at TTORA have.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Banned

:pat: doooh... I forgot we were talking about the engine at idle... I guess I was thinking only about the supercharger and the PSI it produces and not about WHEN it produces it...
Old 07-09-2004, 06:18 AM

So, has anyone done the Seafoam treatment that has their engine supercharged? Did you use the same hose? I was gonna do it today, so a bit of peace of mind would be nice. Thanx!
Old 07-09-2004, 06:22 AM

Nevermind - did some more searching and answered my own question. The PCV hose is safe to use for us SC'ed guys.....
Old 10-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

So who has acutally done it? I am going to pick up some seafoam tonight and give it a shot.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Banned

I have. Went through the PCV just like before. No problems.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
I have. Went through the PCV just like before. No problems.
Same here. Gained 1 MPG in the 4Runner, 1.3 MPG in the Corolla, and 2.1 MPG in the Camry. I'm waiting for my Dad's results in his Honda and Ford.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

I've done it too.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

:cry: I have also done the seafoam treatment. Although I have no SC...
Old 10-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it doesn't harm my S/C.

Now should I try this on my Celica? It doesn't have a PCV valve so I would need to find a different line to go into. I am just worried about it doing something to my turbo.. And yes, I am over cautious!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Travis, use the brake booster line, that's what I use, go to home depot and get a small section of 3/8" thick PVC clear tubing, when the celica is all nice and warmed up (in fact take that to Home depot) disconnect the brake booster line and make sure you hold on to the tube and dip in and out in the can real quickly, let the car sort of stabilize before you dip the tube back in the can, otherwise you'll hyrdolock too quickly and not get the full benefit. If that happens, just let the car be for five minutes and restart, and continue the process. Let it suck up about 1/3 of the can since it's a turbo then hydrolock it by leaving the tube until it sucks as much as it can and dies. Leave it for about 5-15 minute (the more you leave it in there, the more it softens up the built up carbon). I did my honda the same way and worked great!

[EDIT] Now that i think about it, you're burning carbon and I don't know if that's good for a turbo or not as it uses expelled gases to power the turbines. According to their website it's safe for all 2 and 4 cycle engines. If it was my car, would I do it....yup I would but i guess I wouldn't let it sit inside the engine too long after it hydrolocks.

Last edited by Mohamed; 10-22-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:48 PM

Well after my original post I used the Seafoam thru the brake booster hose and it worked. Made a ton of smoke and did nothing for increasing MPG. no biggie I now know the motor is clean internally.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by metalhed
Well after my original post I used the Seafoam thru the brake booster hose and it worked. Made a ton of smoke and did nothing for increasing MPG. no biggie I now know the motor is clean internally.
Try a can in your fuel tank. That's where I got the biggest increase.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well I am going to try a couple of bottles in my 4Runner first and if it helps like everyone says, I will put it in my Celica.

I read some of the MR2 boards (same engine as my Celica) and they also swear by that stuff!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

I did the Seafoam treatment last night. I ended up using about 1/2 of the bottle into the engine via pcv hose. I then let it sit for 15 minutes and added 1 bottle to my 1/4 tank of gas.

I started it up, and you guys weren't kidding about the smoke! I didn't think it would stop. I drove it 3 miles and filled my tank with premium.

I noticed that it does idle smoother. I haven't tested it to see if there is more power since its raining and I don't want to spin out of control.

Now I am going to use the other 1/2 can I have left and use it on my Celica. So far I am happy with the results.

Quick Reply: SEAFOAM and Superchargers