Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rock Slider idea, Couldn't find info.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Ive seen and heard of people angleing them more downward, then putting some skateboard grip tape (~10 $$) on the parts where family or others would be using them as steps...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidAlexander
This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. Thought I would find it for you.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/ks-mo-tornad...up-beware.html
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I have that bookmarked and I'll be looking into that. So for the summer projects, should I go with the SS lift or flares and sliders?????? LOLOLOL My list of projects should be getting smaller, not larger....
Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I too am in need of sliders that can also be used as steps.

Here is a teaser pic of what I have been working on this winter:

I didn't put the diamond plate on the very top of the sliders, but set it slightly lower inside the openings. This doesn't cover up the slider "look".

These will be mounted straight outward with no angle, and should make for a functional slider and step both.

I plan on doing a full write-up after I get them mounted this spring.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
MT Goat has come up with the best idea for a slider step.
I have a wife and 3 girls age 11-15. Daily drove my old '05 with stubb's sliders they complained. Broke one or 2 heelsThey B&M about getting in and out of my '81 Trekker with Sliders.

It was how high the sliders are on the truck not so much the surface.

Now I have a collapsable step stool...light, compact, $15 and doesn't limit frame clearance
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bandit runner, nice sliders - if you're mounting them level you may want to add drain holes to prevent them from pooling water.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bandit Runner
I too am in need of sliders that can also be used as steps.

Here is a teaser pic of what I have been working on this winter:

I didn't put the diamond plate on the very top of the sliders, but set it slightly lower inside the openings. This doesn't cover up the slider "look".

These will be mounted straight outward with no angle, and should make for a functional slider and step both.

I plan on doing a full write-up after I get them mounted this spring.
I like that idea as well. I 2x the idea of somekind of drain hole though. If I put them up on top or recessed like your's the first thing I was thinking of was ice\snow build up on them and causing more harm then good. I was thinking of finding a plate that has a hole pattern in it for traction plus drainage. Maybe something along these lines:

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/pe.../big_round.jpg

I wouldn't mind trying to powder coat the whole thing and see how it holds up as well.
Attached Thumbnails Rock Slider idea, Couldn't find info.-big_round.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
MT Goat has come up with the best idea for a slider step.
I have a wife and 3 girls age 11-15. Daily drove my old '05 with stubb's sliders they complained. Broke one or 2 heelsThey B&M about getting in and out of my '81 Trekker with Sliders.

It was how high the sliders are on the truck not so much the surface.

Now I have a collapsable step stool...light, compact, $15 and doesn't limit frame clearance
If they want to B&M remind them [the kids anyway might not work with the mrs.] that they can always walk...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by psraff
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I have that bookmarked and I'll be looking into that. So for the summer projects, should I go with the SS lift or flares and sliders?????? LOLOLOL My list of projects should be getting smaller, not larger....
I am glad that could help you. It should be easy for Stubbs to replicate that for you since he has already done it before.

Go for the SS lift and Sliders. Peace.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Bandit runner, nice sliders - if you're mounting them level you may want to add drain holes to prevent them from pooling water.
I like that idea as well. I 2x the idea of somekind of drain hole though. If I put them up on top or recessed like your's the first thing I was thinking of was ice\snow build up on them and causing more harm then good. I was thinking of finding a plate that has a hole pattern in it for traction plus drainage.
Yeah, I've gone back and forth on the drain hole idea. Right now, I think I will leave them out. I can always drill some 1/2" holes in each end of each plate later while they are on the truck, if it becomes an issue. My running boards were mounted flat, and they didn't have any drain holes.

For your reference, some of my earlier ideas were captured in this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...p-idea-138065/

The reason I ended up going with the diamond plate was mainly financial. I got it all from a friend for free! But I do really like the way it looks.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Stolen image from above posted thread : This is what I was going to do with my sliders...Looks pretty legit...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Fairly new fab shop up in OR (Revenge Fab) made a set for me that were fairly flat and work great as a step. At first, I was a little worried about the lack of angling upwards. Was hoping for something a little 'tighter' to the body.

Here are a couple of pics

which should give you an idea of the width and 'flatness' of the angle.

But after rocking with these, I'm really pleased. My wife really likes that she can use them as a step to get into/out of the truck.

I have seen some of Revenge-Fabs later modle production sliders and they don't seem as wide as mine. They are made to order for each customer, so you can dictate the width and the angle...

Rick
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM

The step idea is great. I have been thinking about a different approch and having some nice tucked up sliders that dont stick out at all, maybe just the width of the 1.75-2" bar. Basicly enough to protect the rockers from rocks coming up from undernieth. I have been in trucks with the standard style sliders angled up and it is a real pain to get in and out, you always end up with dirty pants from rubbing on the bar, the wife hates it when her dresses get muddy.

Has anyone done something like this?, I would like to see some pics.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 PM

check these out

http://www.olympic4x4products.com/si...uble-side-bars

heard about them when I was over on the jeep forum.
This might be the best option for some as I think they could be easily
modified for a 4runner or 4door tacoma.

The jeep guys that have em claim it takes about 30min to reverse them.
Keep em down for everyday driving and then turn em up on the weekends before you hit the trail.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ericdg16
check these out

http://www.olympic4x4products.com/si...uble-side-bars

heard about them when I was over on the jeep forum.
This might be the best option for some as I think they could be easily
modified for a 4runner or 4door tacoma.

The jeep guys that have em claim it takes about 30min to reverse them.
Keep em down for everyday driving and then turn em up on the weekends before you hit the trail.
That could be a useful idea... only down side [potentially] is they would be bolt on not weld on... but a workable solution and with an airgun or elec. gun you could probably pull a double switch in under 15mins with practice... not quite rally car territory but certainly close enough...
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM

I believe there is a bracket that welds on and then the sliders bolt to the bracket.
Could be wrong though its been a while since I researched these
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM

I know ARB was working on some with the guy from Overland journal, he is on here i think.. they were marketed as side steps, but apparently they worked decently well as rock sliders...
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Doing that to a slider looks nice, but really serves little purpose...kinda like putting a milk bucket under a bull.

The above statement is true if you don't care about your paint job.

I installed my sliders and my custom inserts a week or two before a trip to Joshua Tree. Here's what 4-days of desert driving did to 3 coats of primer and 6 coats of paint:

Note the hundreds of rock chips on the bottoms of the plates. Where do you think those rocks would have hit? Yup, the vehicle paint.

You've all seen these pics, but here is how they look freshly painted:

Had I installed these plates right away, I would not have picked up 40 rock chips per side from just one trip to Death Valley. These are definately doing the trick. If you don't care about your paint, then I agree, this would be a waste of time.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
The above statement is true if you don't care about your paint job.

I installed my sliders and my custom inserts a week or two before a trip to Joshua Tree. Here's what 4-days of desert driving did to 3 coats of primer and 6 coats of paint:

Note the hundreds of rock chips on the bottoms of the plates. Where do you think those rocks would have hit? Yup, the vehicle paint.

If you don't care about your paint, then I agree, this would be a waste of time.
My thoughts exactly. But I'm sure someone will come on here stating that it wouldn't have happened to your sides because auto paint has a bit of hardener in it so they wouldn't chip like that and so on and so on.... But I really like your sliders and that style of plate. That's what I was thinking of going with when the time comes. I'm saving those pics of your's so I can use them for when mine are made up.

Thanks for all the info guys! It really helped me out!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by psraff
My thoughts exactly. But I'm sure someone will come on here stating that it wouldn't have happened to your sides because auto paint has a bit of hardener in it so they wouldn't chip like that and so on and so on....
But they would be wrong. The day I pulled my running boards off and put on rock sliders, I had zero rock chips. I did an extended weekend trip in Death Valley and got probably 40 rock chips (per side) in the bottoms of the doors. The second year I went to Death Valley I temporarily installed rubber inserts between the sliders and it did the trick of keeping the rock dings down. That's what inspired my permanent plates.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
But they would be wrong. The day I pulled my running boards off and put on rock sliders, I had zero rock chips. I did an extended weekend trip in Death Valley and got probably 40 rock chips (per side) in the bottoms of the doors. The second year I went to Death Valley I temporarily installed rubber inserts between the sliders and it did the trick of keeping the rock dings down. That's what inspired my permanent plates.
That confirms it in my book then. Many thanks!