Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote Start Completed....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, I have seen those pagers with the screen. Too expensive though. What I am looking for is just an add on remote starter that can start my truck from a good distance (1/4 mile?) without the LCD. It would be nice if it starts by pressing the lock button a couple times. I did read that some remote starters wont work right if the factory remote doesn't work when the truck is running. Is this just to turn the truck off? If so thats no problem for me, all I would want is the truck to turn off after 10 minutes. This is the remote start that I am thinking of getting. Will this work with the factory remote, even though my remote doesn't work when the truck is on? All I need is for the remote to start the engine, not stop it. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:07 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dibble9012
yea, I have seen those pagers with the screen. Too expensive though. What I am looking for is just an add on remote starter that can start my truck from a good distance (1/4 mile?) without the LCD. It would be nice if it starts by pressing the lock button a couple times. I did read that some remote starters wont work right if the factory remote doesn't work when the truck is running. Is this just to turn the truck off? If so thats no problem for me, all I would want is the truck to turn off after 10 minutes. This is the remote start that I am thinking of getting. Will this work with the factory remote, even though my remote doesn't work when the truck is on? All I need is for the remote to start the engine, not stop it. Thanks!
Looks like this unit uses the factory alarm trigger to engage the starter, but since you have a 99+ you will also be in need of the bypass module for the key chip thingy. You will never get 1/4 mile range from the factory remote so how ever far you can arm and disarm it now is the best you will get, the reason I just decided to replace mine was I wanted to be able to start it from more than 10' from the truck and carry just one remote. I have seen soem decent prices on some of teh 2way out there on a web site I will have to look for again, how much are you planning to spend ??
Old 01-21-2005, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WT
Looks like this unit uses the factory alarm trigger to engage the starter, but since you have a 99+ you will also be in need of the bypass module for the key chip thingy. You will never get 1/4 mile range from the factory remote so how ever far you can arm and disarm it now is the best you will get, the reason I just decided to replace mine was I wanted to be able to start it from more than 10' from the truck and carry just one remote. I have seen soem decent prices on some of teh 2way out there on a web site I will have to look for again, how much are you planning to spend ??
Why even bother with a 2way, if you want it cheap, get one like the 550ESP like I did for about $100 (new on ebay). They are not that hard to put in at all either and I can start mile from roughly 1/4 mile away easy so the truck is nice and warmed up by the time I get to it. Also if you sell your stock alarm on ebay you might even end up on the positive cash flow side (not sure what they go for right now).
Old 01-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WT
I dont have the engine immobilizer, just metal keys, I dont think there are any chips in them.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

$30 dollars at pepboys will get you something to start your car from up to 500 feet (ive checked, its right). it has 3 buttons...one to honk the horn, one to start it up, and one to turn on the lights. the first and third button only work if the vehicle is started. its made by designtech. i didnt wire up the horn and lights thing because i just figured no point. took me and my buddy about 2 hours to install, but only that long because all the wires that need to be accessed are under the steering column and are a b*#@h to get to. sounds like what you want dibble. o and if you always leave your radio on like i do, you can look at the 4runner and see if its started if the antenna is up. i didnt have to buy anything extra like a transponder or whatever, and i dont believe youll have to as you have a 2000 also.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:13 PM

I have the viper 791...and this thing is I wouldn't recommend paying full price...they run around $ 500 with install at circuit city and best buy....I work at best buy so I got my discount Around $230 installed...it is a great system!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

I actually looked at the one at autozone, but it doesnt work with the factory keyless (start car using stock remote) everyone can look at my thread about remote starters so the information is all in one placec.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
You just need to wire up a relay to the trigger output on the alarm (ie one of the auxilary outputs).
Then just make sure the output for that aux is tied to a button on the remote.

We found an easier way to wire up the rear window. After looking at 4crawlers page, the logic behind the 1st gen & 3rd gen windows is pretty much the same. There's a switched power & a constant power wire in the tailgate. I cut the switched pwr wire, spliced it into the constant & it's ready to go with no extra relays. Also traced the wires that control up & down to the drivers kick panel, which may be an easier spot to splice into. Mine's wired for auto up & down, although I know there was some discussion about auto-up not being safe if you have little ones around.