Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The relationship b/n lifts, wheel alignment and CVs---who has the definitive answer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The relationship b/n lifts, wheel alignment and CVs---who has the definitive answer?

Guys,

In my continuing lifetime education series titled "The Finer, Muddier Things in Life", I want to check my technical understanding of lifts as it relates to CVs and wheel alignment. I haven't found the time yet to take my 4runner into the shop for a wheel alignment. But of course, I found time to wheel in Pismo w/ Tom and Steve last weekend.

Now I've poured through several threads about this topic and I'm trying to nail down the relationship between these three things. So, someone please correct me if I'm wrong here:

When you perform a suspension (not body) lift, the angle of your CVs are *raised* and so the angle of the tires take on a positive camber. Since the top of the tires are now pointing outwards, this will cause unnecessary wear on the tires. Furthermore, the CVs themselves may become damaged (i.e. torn boots, leakage of CV grease, etc) because of the raised angle caused by the lift.

Did I get it right?

Now here what I still don't quite get: how will a simple wheel alignment change the angle of the CV back to its original (or close to original) stock position? Maybe I'd have to see it done to understand.

Oh also, anyone know of a good place in the LA area for wheel alignments? Preferably one w/ a 1 year (or some mileage) guarantee?

Thanks for any and all replies. My brain thanks you.

Bob
Old 05-15-2003, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me see if i can explain this...

getting an alignment after a suspension lift is required. however, an alignment will not change the angle of your CV joints much - if any. generally, they will push the bottom of the tires out with the alignment to get your tires back to stock settings. this may or may not affect the angle of your CV.

i'm sorry if i got you more confused. it's just hard to put in words without actually showing you. the best thing to do is to go to an alignment shop where you can actually talk to the guy doing the alignment. i took my to sears and chit chatted with the guy as he did my alignment.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Bob.

Yes you are correct about the camber issues with lifting your rig. But your pp springs will only throw your camber off a little. I would be more worried about "toe" that is the tire killer!! How long has it been since you installed your springs? Since you are still running bald-stock tires, I would wait 2-3 weeks after installing your lift to let the springs settle.

On my old 1994 Ranger, i installed 2 inch front springs (actually lifted it 3 inches). I only had a .75 degree camber nut, but I adjusted it so I could get as much negative camber as possible (on a alignment rack). I ran Dueler MT's and with the camber being off just slightly, I didn't have any issues with it wearing out tires quicker than normal.
As you can see, it has a little positive camber..

And about your CV's, with the amount of lift that we get out of the PP springs (i got 1.5 inches) the CV angle is not excessive. On my truck the front axles are pretty straight, and I am not sure if you would really benefit with dropping the front diff.

If you are lifted and the CV angles are excessive, you do run a chance of having the boots leak and more stress on the joints, but I am not sure if it is a cause of them ripping, unless they are already brittle. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I hope that made sense, its still early!
Old 05-15-2003, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

I don't remember exactly where I saw this last but isn't there some kind of kit or part that readjusts the CV angles back or close to stock?
Old 05-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Revtek makes a differential spacer kit for 30 bucks that will return your CV angles partway back to stock (not all the way if you go above 1.5" of lift).
Old 05-15-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for the response.

I would be more worried about "toe" that is the tire killer!! How long has it been since you installed your springs? Since you are still running bald-stock tires, I would wait 2-3 weeks after installing your lift to let the springs settle.
Travis, wow would the toe be thrown off by the lift? Would they be "Toe In" or "Toe out"? And the PP lift springs were used so I imagine there won't be much settling beyond what it is now. But I'll take the recommendation and wait another week.

I'll try to get into the garage to see them align it so this all makes sense.

Bob
Old 05-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Guys,

Thanks for the response.

Travis, wow would the toe be thrown off by the lift? Would they be "Toe In" or "Toe out"? And the PP lift springs were used so I imagine there won't be much settling beyond what it is now. But I'll take the recommendation and wait another week.

I'll try to get into the garage to see them align it so this all makes sense.

Bob
Usually toe-out, the way that I am visualizing it is that when you lift a truck you increase the legnth between the A-arms, since our steering is connected behind the wheel, the rack would be "shorter" because it is now at an angle, therefore making the tires toe-out in the front..

An I right on this??

My PP springs were also used, and mine settled a little bit.
When are you getting the tires? I would get the tires and alignment done at the same time.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:03 PM

Mine's not that bad

Mine's not that bad with OME shocks/springs up front. Now I do have trimpackers but I do not have 1" or 1.5" spacers yet, nor do I have the differental drop yet. They're on the way though. This photo doesn't do it justice, but the tire IS off-camber with the top pointing outwards. It's really noticeable when I'm turning at low speeds to full lock. It seems to be more difficult to turn the first 360º of the steering wheel, but then during the last 180º or so the wheels seem to almost "fall" into full lock. It's much easier to turn the last bit than before the lift. My CV angles aren't level, but they're not so extreme yet. Hope this gives some insight. Pic:

Zach