Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recall work, even though I had to pay some

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinh
I agree they had to remove the bolts anyway but if they just stuck 3 new bolts in there and turned it loose and they were stripped and fell out again then you would be banging down their door trying to sue them. It would be nice to think that they were doing a propper fix for you to make sure it didn't happen again. At least they didn't just slap a new knuckle on there and charge you for that too, a lot of shops would have.
I asked them and it didnt happen. just the bolts stripped out. I dont mind paying for new bolts as I didnt have 3 of them, no big deal, but for labor that would have happened anyways I dont want to pay for since it was a RECALL!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neliconcept
I asked them and it didnt happen. just the bolts stripped out. I dont mind paying for new bolts as I didnt have 3 of them, no big deal, but for labor that would have happened anyways I dont want to pay for since it was a RECALL!!!
So I'm confused......
Did they repair the stripped bolt holes or not?

If so, then the charge seems legit.....if not, then you're right, it should have been included in the recall work.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-07-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

I asked about the extra hour that I had to pay, in quotes "we had guys trying to push the lower control arms up so that we could get the bolts in and it took a couple of us to get it up so we could get it back on the ground (2 hours of work reduced to one hour of pay) thats all I was informed of. I heard nothing about stripped sockets
Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Update, we FINALLY, got a hold of the service manager since he decides to take 2 hour lunch breaks, well he got a little snappy with my dad. the tech orders to me

Install of balljoints due to MODIFICATION, well they told me they had to chase threads for the bolts to go back in, if that was put on the original order and I was told that to begin with, I would have gladly paid 1 hour of labor. however it was not mentioned to me.

We are going past the service manager on to the area rep for toyota
Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Service Managers are hired to make as much money for the company as possible. When Ford put out a recall for certain year intake manifolds on the 4.6 engines, my friend took his car down to get the promised re-imbursment for the manifold he had already had to replace. The service manager there tried to intimidate him by telling him there was a non-refundable $90 inspection fee to verify the car and manifold were legitimate, and that he would have to drop the car off in order to do that. He said the hell with that and came back when another service manager was working, that manager had one of the techs go pop his hood, confirm the updated manifold in 20 seconds, no BS inspection charge, and he walked away with a $735 check from Ford, hassle free. See the difference service managers can make...go get your refund, personally I consider it fradulent when they try to charge you labor for bolts that needed to be delt with anyways.

The guys you delt with probably took too long and the service manager didn't want bad numbers showing up that his techs worked on it for x-hours, when it should have taken less time. To me it sounds like that manager really charged you, to cover his end, so he doesn't give too much free labor away.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

they only have one service manager, he got snappy with my father when my father was trying to understand the points in which both the manager and tech were contradicting each other with statements that did not go hand in hand. We are going up the ladder, done talking to the service depo at this stupid dealership