Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear tweeter/hiding amp HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I know is, any seat in my truck sounds like the best seat in the house. If that is how it sounds to me - and the people who SIT in the rear, I can't argue that.

A lot of the time, I do have people sitting in the back and sometimes I'M the one sitting in the rear. When there isn't anyone in the back, I can always use the fader, hehe.

Last edited by Jason B; 02-26-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed, If you are pleased with how it sounds, that is all that matters!

Im just saying that in competition the judges frown on/deduct points as the rear fill will pull the soundstage from on the end of the hood closer to you. That's only if you compete, and yeah there is the fader option.

Steve
Old 02-26-2003, 08:06 PM
DuB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it can clear the door grille, I'd mount the tweeter of the comp set coaxially with a backstrap (floating in front of the mid mounted to a metal strip). That way your the distance between your tweet and mid are minimized. Having it up in the door like Jason's raises the sound stage though, which is nice. It's back seat anyway, who cares?

I have a JL coax set in the back and people haven't complained yet. I'd get a matching Dynaudio System 220 or something back there, but once again, I don't care enough about my rear passengers to baby them w/ a $500 component set

BTW, for anyone building a baffle to mount speakers to in the front that replaces the entire plastic thingy: use 1/4" hardboard for the base, and then 5/8" or 3/4" or whatever MDF for the spacer/mounting ring for the speaker. I started with a 3/4" MDF base and ended up having to dremel the heck out of it to get it to about a 1/4" thick :pat: The Dyn 7"s were HARD to install since they're pretty big drivers. The huge, deep basket and frame were hard to get to fit under the door panel, and in front of the window rail. I had to trim the sheetmetal a little and fiddle with it a LOT. Our doors really were made for 6.5"s...
Old 02-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just found this video I made 2 years ago in one of my folders. If you have a good system on your pc with a sub, play this LOUD. It came out decent.

Interior surround vid with music
Old 02-27-2003, 09:38 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
Agreed, If you are pleased with how it sounds, that is all that matters!

Im just saying that in competition the judges frown on/deduct points as the rear fill will pull the soundstage from on the end of the hood closer to you. That's only if you compete, and yeah there is the fader option.

Steve
Some of the judges in those lines need to learn how to listen and not look. I had a set of tweeter mounted up high on the front corners of the door (basically right behind the side mirrors) well I had disconnected them, bought some good separates and had them in kick panels firing up towards you. Well imediately the judge is like too much sound on the left here. It's probably because you have these tweeter mounted here and one is closer than the other causing the unbalance. I started laughing and pull the tweeter off and said "is that a fact" well these aren't even hooked up. So where could that balancing problem be coming from. After that comp. I removed them completely, never adjusting the balance and had no prblems from then out.

By the way 159.8 is pretty damn impressive. Do you mind me asking what's driving that number? I haven't been competing for a little over 5 years. I sold all my shat and was done. It's a money sucking hobby. I ruled the low wattage class in my area. I never went to all the different cities to compete though. I'll try and find some pics of my stuff.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JSB
Some of the judges in those lines need to learn how to listen and not look. I had a set of tweeter mounted up high on the front corners of the door (basically right behind the side mirrors) well I had disconnected them, bought some good separates and had them in kick panels firing up towards you. Well imediately the judge is like too much sound on the left here. It's probably because you have these tweeter mounted here and one is closer than the other causing the unbalance. I started laughing and pull the tweeter off and said "is that a fact" well these aren't even hooked up. So where could that balancing problem be coming from. After that comp. I removed them completely, never adjusting the balance and had no prblems from then out.

By the way 159.8 is pretty damn impressive. Do you mind me asking what's driving that number? I haven't been competing for a little over 5 years. I sold all my shat and was done. It's a money sucking hobby. I ruled the low wattage class in my area. I never went to all the different cities to compete though. I'll try and find some pics of my stuff.

That is one of the problems with judging in the lanes. Everything is so subjective and I agree, judges tend to hear with their eyes a lot.

Any how, the 159.8 was with a pair of Digital Designs 9515s http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/woof...p?series=9500e (DD9515s for short - 15" subs.) The link shows the current "e" series 9510 (a 10" version), I had the "a" series motors, but I reconed them and brought them up to "d" series specs. Each was recieving about 1800watts or so for a set of Power Acoustic 2100d's. (Overrated at 2100watts but benched out at ~1800) My 4runner was walled off and the common chamber box was 27cubic feet with 488 sq inches of port tuned to ~35hz. Box peaked around 42hz because the box was too big. Should have been closer to around 15-18 cubes for those woofers and i might have been able to get them over a 160. Oh and metering was done with a termlab mic. Legal metering on the dash of course.

The funny thing was that even with "only" 4kw, I was severely underpowered for my class. World finals in my class typically had 12-16kw on a set of 15s or 18s. :eek:

Im getting a set of the 9915s, argueably the most badazz subs ever made...lol
http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/woof...p?series=9900a

now to get those damn orion HCCA 6s components back.....grrr

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 02-27-2003 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:37 PM

Rear tweeter defeat

I also install 2 tweeter on the rear door with 5-1/4 midrange, but I add 2 hidden in-line push button switch from radio shack:

"http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT LG%5F010%5F007%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D1565 "

This is installed inside of each door handle well, which rear passage use to close the door when sit inside. It is hook up in-line from crossover to tweeter. So most of time I would disbale tweeter from crossover when only has front seat passeger, fade it slightly to the front to get proper rear-fill with midrange only. Only turn on when rear passage request (Actually they will turn it on by themself from the switch). This way, it won't distort front image if not necessary.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:40 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
That is one of the problems with judging in the lanes. Everything is so subjective and I agree, judges tend to hear with their eyes a lot.

Any how, the 159.8 was with a pair of Digital Designs 9515s http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/woof...p?series=9500e (DD9515s for short - 15" subs.) The link shows the current "e" series 9510 (a 10" version), I had the "a" series motors, but I reconed them and brought them up to "d" series specs. Each was recieving about 1800watts or so for a set of Power Acoustic 2100d's. (Overrated at 2100watts but benched out at ~1800) My 4runner was walled off and the common chamber box was 27cubic feet with 488 sq inches of port tuned to ~35hz. Box peaked around 42hz because the box was too big. Should have been closer to around 15-18 cubes for those woofers and i might have been able to get them over a 160. Oh and metering was done with a termlab mic. Legal metering on the dash of course.

The funny thing was that even with "only" 4kw, I was severely underpowered for my class. World finals in my class typically had 12-16kw on a set of 15s or 18s. :eek:

Im getting a set of the 9915s, argueably the most badazz subs ever made...lol
http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/woof...p?series=9900a

now to get those damn orion HCCA 6s components back.....grrr

Gees!!! That's some awesome stuff. The last time I heard some one hit around there was 157.something. He was running 12 JL's and I think 3 power 1000's in an isuzu trooper. It was pretty cool. He didn't loose any seating either. He had to line the roof in 3/4 plywood. Of cousre I never got into it THAT heavy. I was running two punch 60ix's, two JL w6's I think. (The duel voice coils/$400 a woofer) Boston Pros, audio control xql. I couldn't afford the eqt's. It was pretty sweet. I put it all together in my garage. I couldn't get in good with any of the shops. They always wanted me to pay retail. Anyway I never had the monster base but I always kicked everyone's ars in my class in total points. I think I registered a 128.something with that setup. I sort of miss the days. Good luck with this years finals. I always enjoyed those outlaw SPL drag events.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Jason B
I just found this video I made 2 years ago in one of my folders. If you have a good system on your pc with a sub, play this LOUD. It came out decent.

Interior surround vid with music
That's an awesome system! It looks really nice, and from what I can tell it sounds pretty good too.