Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Pinion Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Pinion Noise

Alright guys...just a quick update on the runner...then I'll get to the thread subject.

Back about 3 or so weeks ago I had the interior out of my car as I was soundproofing it, and I noticed that the plastic piece around the shifters was missing all but one tab (the things that the screws go through to hold it in place) so I went to Landers, my local dealership, and ordered that piece. Well it turns out that there were two pieces underneath that were completely trashed, my initial problem was that something was moving around underneath and was getting in the way of the shift movement so it would get stuck in Reverse and I wouldn't be able to move it. Anyway, long story short I had just about every piece around the shifters replaced and I cleaned it all up so all of that is working great now.

Second thing I had done was while it was in the shop I told them that my defroster wasn't working, I knew the source of the problem so since I know all of the guys up at the Toyota place they let me come up one afternoon and fix it myself using their tools, and what cool tools they have lemme tell ya! So its working now, finally!

So after that I had it back in the shop because my idle was doing some really weird things...for about 5 minutes it would be so high that when I would shift the whole truck would LUNGE forward and make a loud noise when it finally caught in Drive, and then sometimes it would be so low that it would almost die at a stop light. Turned out to be a bad TPS, so I ordered one and had that put on and then I had also noticed a loud belt noise when at certain RPM's, this turned out to be a bad A/C ilder tension bearing, so I put that on myself, it was a snap, using the tools at the dealer.

OK, so everything is A OK, well, I had asked them to investigate a weird noise coming from the rear of the truck, only when moving. Turns out what I had thought be some sort of leak in a window or something (because it sounded like wind), it turns out to be rear pinion noise. They said that eventually I will need to have the pinion bearing replaced and should probably have the seals and all that checked out/replaced. Well, to get the dealer to do it JUST the labor with my discount is gonna be ~$300 big ones and then the parts that I would need, as long as nothing else is messed up when I tear into it, is gonna run ~$120. So i'm lookin at over 400 bucks here to get this bearing replaced.

My question for y'all is, one of the guys up at the dealer said this is not something urgent as of now...but if I leave it, it will just keep getting worse and worse and he says if I leave it too long it could break and then I'm looking at an entire new rear end.

Bottomline...is this BS, is this something I should replace immediately, there is no way in he!! I can do this myself...so...what should I do guys?!?!?!

Thanks for readin! Sorry for it bein so long,

Fink
Old 01-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if your pinion bearing goes out, it could grenade your gearset...no way it'll take out the entire rear end though.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Could be the rear d-shaft u-joint. Is there a high pitched squeak that is speed related? Does your rear end "clunk" when you change gears or go from forward to reverse or brake?

Old 01-20-2005, 05:39 PM

Wait until it grenades and put new gears in along with an ARB locker and call it a day.

Gosh, how I wish my gears would grenade like that.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

So I should wait on it then?

Waskilly,

No squeak, not really any noticeable clunk when shifting, atleast that I've experienced.

Fink