Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Brake Adjustment, Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Adjustment, Help needed.

At the 230,000 mark the rear axle seals started to leak, although the rear brakes on my '97 SR5 were good, as they had been replaced a couple of years ago, because they were saturated with gear oil, I determined to replace them and because I put everything new on the axles, I also bought new brakes and spring kits for the rear as well. Up to this point no issues. After the axle and brake R&R I noticed the emergency brake lever travel was getting less and less and eventually the rear brakes started to heat up with the emergency brake off. I pulled a wheel after re-adjusting through the slot on the back plate, but could not see any obvious problem. I noted the cable and external parts were functional, loosened the adjuster and everything was fine for a few weeks, then the rear brakes started tightening up again and the travel on the brake lever again shortened up. I've read several posts on the brakes not working or not adjusted properly but have found nothing on why they want to keep self adjusting to the point of rubbing. What can I do to keep the adjusted brakes in the same position without them tightening up again?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did you replace the adjuster hardware ??

Which style Ebrake do you have ??

A 97 SR5 could be a pick up or a 4Runner .

It is possible the adjuster spring is weak and allowing the cam to ratchet more then one click. This is the spring that holds the lock

This would tighten the shoes up pretty quick .

When you backed the brakes off it took two tools one to hold the lever away from the cam (star wheel) the other to turn the Cam.

If not you have something together wrong !!

The only other thing it might be is the E-Brake hanging up but you say all is well.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply, Yes, all new hardware, 4Runner with center console Ebrake. All new springs, yes it takes two tools, and the Ebrake functions well. I'm pulling the wheels tomorrow, I'm wondering if it is a bell crank problem. I did not put this together myself and the mechanic that did has been gone for the holidays, should have done it myself, I guess, but didn't have a press to remove the rear axle seals. There is a right and left side and it would be possible to reverse that too, i'm guessing. But thanks anyway. I am not understanding how the adjuster stops adjusting. Given every time you pull on the lever it seems to move the adjuster, what stops it from eventually tightening up? Hopefully I'll answer a lot of my own questions tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Being you do not do the job who can say what might be wrong
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 AM

There could be a couple things wrong. Theoretically the rear drums are self adjusting brakes. The reason for the clicky cam wheel and stuff. Ususlly it doesnt work and you have to anuslly go back there and adjust the thing yourself or everytime the behicle gets serviced. The problem here is that there is too much movement in the shoes which is causing it to adjust up everytime you oull the lever. If everything is out together correctly then the drums may be to worn or machined too much or too many times. This will cause excessive angle on the shoes and ecessive movement on the actuating parts of the rear brakes causing it to keep adjust up to the next click. Try putting on some new rear drums and readjusting if nothing else works. Also what brand of shoes where installed? I have seen subpar brands of resr shoes do the same thing