95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Q about Revtek lift and CV angles

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Ken
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q about Revtek lift and CV angles

After installing the Revtek 3" lift and new Bilsteins, as described in this thread, I still have some concerns about the CV angles.

I did do the diff drop included in the kit, but from what others have mentioned, the CV angles still seem way off. I thought at first that the spring seats were upside-down, but those checked out fine.

Can anybody w/ a 3rd gen, Revtek 3" lift and Bilsteins help me out and check their CVs, and if they are at a better angle than mine, let me know what you did?

My options currently look like, removing the top-out spacer, or weighing down the front w/ ARB bumper + winch.

Here are some pics:

Driver's side:

Pass. side:

Thanks!
Ken
Old 05-31-2004, 11:26 AM

bump have the same question about the cv anglels
Old 05-31-2004, 12:29 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ken
After installing the Revtek 3" lift and new Bilsteins, as described in this thread, I still have some concerns about the CV angles.

I did do the diff drop included in the kit, but from what others have mentioned, the CV angles still seem way off. I thought at first that the spring seats were upside-down, but those checked out fine.

Can anybody w/ a 3rd gen, Revtek 3" lift and Bilsteins help me out and check their CVs, and if they are at a better angle than mine, let me know what you did?

My options currently look like, removing the top-out spacer, or weighing down the front w/ ARB bumper + winch.

Here are some pics:

Driver's side:

Pass. side:

Thanks!
Ken
I have done the same lift and yes your angles looks like mine too, Mines been on over a year almost 2 and have recently replaced the right side Axle due to boot failure. Last one was replaced last year. $89.00 for a complete axle with lifetime warranty, so if it rips again its goign back for free replacement.

I think they failed due to age and angle change more than just the angle change IMO. Heck the Runners almost 7 years old, got to expect to replace a few things.
I have also considered pulling the top-out spaces too but have currently decided against it, not worth lossing the lift for now. and then the front would look lower than the rear, Well maybe not if you don't replace the rear spacers with OME springs like me. It was always lower even prior to the lift in the rear.(Before any one says saggy springs I just had them replaced on the TSB for free a month before doing the lift
Guess thats why the say 3" front 2 1/2" rear for the Revtek kits.
I also considered getting a bigger spacers for the diff drops but heck its already at the bottom of the rock guard as Toyota calls it. So not sure if that is a good option, Let see if anyone has any better ideas....
Other than frotn bumper and winch... but that does sound like a good idea in the long run.

Edit: just remembered had this pic after the axle replacement at few weeks ago:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...41764902yDHgsk

Last edited by WT; 05-31-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

from what i've seen on other pics around yotatech, your angles look pretty normal for that size lift ...
Old 05-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Ken
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
from what i've seen on other pics around yotatech, your angles look pretty normal for that size lift ...
Hmm that makes me feel a little better. For some reason I felt that the CV angles were still way off even compared to other Revtek 3" installs. Ok at least we're all in the same boat (except those w/ heavier front ends )
Old 05-31-2004, 01:45 PM
Ken
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WT
I have done the same lift and yes your angles looks like mine too, Mines been on over a year almost 2 and have recently replaced the right side Axle due to boot failure. Last one was replaced last year. $89.00 for a complete axle with lifetime warranty, so if it rips again its goign back for free replacement.

I think they failed due to age and angle change more than just the angle change IMO. Heck the Runners almost 7 years old, got to expect to replace a few things.
I have also considered pulling the top-out spaces too but have currently decided against it, not worth lossing the lift for now. and then the front would look lower than the rear, Well maybe not if you don't replace the rear spacers with OME springs like me. It was always lower even prior to the lift in the rear.(Before any one says saggy springs I just had them replaced on the TSB for free a month before doing the lift
Guess thats why the say 3" front 2 1/2" rear for the Revtek kits.
I also considered getting a bigger spacers for the diff drops but heck its already at the bottom of the rock guard as Toyota calls it. So not sure if that is a good option, Let see if anyone has any better ideas....
Other than frotn bumper and winch... but that does sound like a good idea in the long run.

Edit: just remembered had this pic after the axle replacement at few weeks ago:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...41764902yDHgsk
Just compared my old front shocks with the Bilsteins, and the distance between the shock mount and spring seat is the same *whew*.

Yeah I have the OEM springs so my rear is less than 3", so I would still be able to remove the top-out spacer w/o causing too much difference between front and rear. It may even level it out better.

I also just thought of spraying the CV boots themselves with some sort of grease/dressing in an attempt to increase their longevity, similar to how tire dressings are supposed to help the surface of a tire from becoming too "flaky". Hmm.. Meguiars on CV boots? Ah well, it's probably a different type of rubber anyway so it may actually hurt instead of help.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:49 PM
Ken
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WT
Last one was replaced last year. $89.00 for a complete axle with lifetime warranty, so if it rips again its goign back for free replacement.
Was that at a stealership or some other shop?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking CV angles

I still think those CV angles are a bit harsh. I've got OME all around with 882s up front and an ARB/M8000 sitting on the front and my CV angles are really good IMO. EDIT: I have a 1" custom diff drop spacer, stainless steel. I would think eventually you are going to have issues caused by such a harsh angle, but only time will truly tell!
http://www.drawhorn.org/882s.JPG

Good luck!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-31-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Wow Brian, that angle of yours looks soo beautiful (no diff drops on that one?)

I'd say if your fins are touching, it's time to lower it abit (maybe 1 fin touching eachother but nothing more I think. The only really way to find out if you went too far is by having broken parts! doh! which will suck on the long run. If you need more height, look into some roger brown body lifts.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:32 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ken
Was that at a stealership or some other shop?
OPS forgot to mention self-install and parts from Advance Auto.. I actually think once you do it once you can probably do it in less than a hour per side if needed.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Smile

OK - dumb question - why would Revtek sell a lift with a diff drop that didn't provide a proper fix? (please don't flame me). You're cv angles look pretty good in my opinion. I've compared my 4Runner to my Tacoma and they are more similar than different. For what its worth.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Talking Fins touching

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
OK - dumb question - why would Revtek sell a lift with a diff drop that didn't provide a proper fix? (please don't flame me). You're cv angles look pretty good in my opinion. I've compared my 4Runner to my Tacoma and they are more similar than different. For what its worth.
Fins touching is bad and the CVs are meant to be almost straight across like the angle in my pic attachment. 3" of lift on the front end of an IFS is pushing the limit IMO and you are just asking to blow out a CV, especially if you don't use something like a diff drop to compensate for it. The Revtek and Daystar lifts may be cheaper up front cost, but you are going to pay for them in the long run. Spend the money up front and get some OME and don't worry about your CVs.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-31-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Ken
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Fins touching is bad and the CVs are meant to be almost straight across like the angle in my pic attachment. 3" of lift on the front end of an IFS is pushing the limit IMO and you are just asking to blow out a CV, especially if you don't use something like a diff drop to compensate for it. The Revtek and Daystar lifts may be cheaper up front cost, but you are going to pay for them in the long run. Spend the money up front and get some OME and don't worry about your CVs.

Brian, how many inches of lift does the OME give? Perhaps for those of us who have already spent money on the Revtek, if we remove the top-out spacer, would get us closer to having flatter CV angles.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

Talking Depends

Originally Posted by Ken
Brian, how many inches of lift does the OME give? Perhaps for those of us who have already spent money on the Revtek, if we remove the top-out spacer, would get us closer to having flatter CV angles.
It depends on the type of OME set up you get, but I've got 882s up front with N91Ss and it is about 2.5-3" of lift with an ARB/M8000 and I have a diff drop. If I didn't have the ARB/M8000 then I'd be at a much harsher CV angle due to less weight up front. 882s are recommended by ARB to use with a custom bumper/winch combo because of the added weight. You see how good my CV angles look and with a 2" body lift and 285s I'm sitting 41" at the bottom of the fender well from the ground measured at the center of the tire.