Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power antenna moter

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power antenna moter

The power antenna on my 4Runner is not stopping when it should. When it get's fully extended, it starts grinding the gears.

First, how do I get to this thing in order to disconnect it. Second, can it be replaced with a fixed mast? If not, do the generic replacement setups work well? Speaking of fixed mast antennas, can I replace it with a fixed CB antenna and use that for CB and radio, similar to what those adaptor boxes do, but with a proper cb antenna instead of the radio antenna (I know of the issues in using a radio antenna for CB, but are there any in the reverse scenario?)?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-15-2002, 09:49 PM

You can access the antenae motor and guts from under the fender liner. There are 'grommets' fastners holding it on. They have a round head with a square peg. They pry out, but usually break. I replaced my stock whip with a power antenae...love it. Don't know about using a CB mast. Good luck.
butnut
Old 09-15-2002, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris,

Man, I spent 4-5 hours today trying to jury-rig this crappy ebay antenna I bought to fit the stock antenna holder/bezel thing. I'm a pro now, so please don't hesitate to email me. But here's the skinny:

If your mast is not working the way it should be and the motor is making a grinding sound, most likely the mast teeth (plastic) is broken. There is probably some pieces in there too.

Here's the first thing you should do: Power everything down and unscrew the silver bezel nut (I used a shop rag and pliers) on antenna assembly. Next, turn on your 4runner and the radio and that mast should shoot out like an ICBM.

If you have a replacement mast ready, get a friend to work the radio. First, turn on the radio. Then thread the new mast teeth into the hole until you feel resistance. Make sure the teeth are facing the rear of the vehicle (SOMEBODY PLEASE CONFIRM THIS FOR ME). Then tell your friend to turn off the radio. The teeth should then catch and feed the teeth and the mast down into the assembly.

Replace the silver bezel nut. Now give it a test. If the mast does not go up and down perfectly, repeat the steps above. I'd say give it about 4-5 tries before giving up and taking the motor apart.

This is not fun:

If you have fender trim, remove it.

Next, as Brian says, there are some grommets in them that keep the fender wheel well plastic in place. You really don't have a choice here so just start pulling until the either come off (and snap off) or try using a screwdriver and carefully "peel" the plastic off and around these grommets.

The motor is located right in front of the passenger door inside the fender well. Thus, you want to perform the above near this area.

The motor is attached w/ one bolt and ... errr... I believe thats it. There are several screws that you need to remove (theyre gold and pretty obvious). You can then remove the plastic covering and take a look-see and remove any stray pieces of plastic.

Hope that helps...and if not, email me at bobkim@4runners.org.

Oh, a new mast should cost somewhere b/n $30-40 online.

Good luck!
Bob
Old 09-15-2002, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Brian,

Do you still have your fixed mast? Is it the black one? If so, I'd like to buy it from you. Lemme know.

Bob
Old 09-16-2002, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I won't have to replace the entire assembly after all. I thought it was all or nothing. The local dealer has the replacement mast for $44.

Chris
Old 09-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced the mast today ($44 at the local Toyota shop). It went better than I expected. It too about 45minutes. Thanks for the info!

Chris