Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pics of new 2002 SR5 Sport 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of new 2002 SR5 Sport 4Runner

Well this is my first post after lurking around here for quite some time. I've been researching what should be my next purchase for a replacement SUV (replacing my '92 Pathfinder). I looked at pathfinders, xterras, Jeep YJs and Tacomas but all of my researching pointed towards the 3rd gen 4runner as being the best. I've been watching the used car market for about a year and came across this 4Runner and couldn't pass it up even though I was looking for a '99 with rear diff locker.

It has 94K miles. The previous owner said it has a 2" lift that was installed by the owner prior to him. I'm not exactly sure yet what components are in there to lift the truck but the gas struts are yellow so I'm assuming they are OME? It also has 285/75/r16 Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo IIs with very little wear. This lift and tire combo is what I would have done with a stock 4runner had I not come across this 4runner. I'm not sure how I don't have any tire rubbing issues on either the upper a-arm or fender flares but I don't seem to (and there aren't any wheel spacers). I'd like to put some mud flaps on the front wheels to keep the paint of the rocker panels protected but I would need some pretty low profile flaps. Let me know if you know of some. As some of you may know, Toyota Red wasn't a color option in 2002. The guy I bought the truck off of was the head painter at a body shop and painted the truck this May. He did a coat of Toyota Red and then a top coat of Pearl. The paint looks really nice in person and is tough to photograph well.

These are the only pics I have for now as it's at the mechanic's garage. It's currently -45C (-49F) with the windchill today and the rear brakes were locking up due to frozen gear oil in the rear drums from the axle seal leaks. Going to have the axle seals and brake shoes replaced (as they are saturated in oil and were sticking even after cleaning the brake drums out really well).

Immediate plans for the truck are:
-find thin front mud flaps and install
-weathertech floor and cargo mats
-deckplate mod
-Nokya H3 yellow bulbs to replace burnt out fog light bulbs (pretty sure they are burnt out and not rusted away)
-troubleshoot auxiliary reverse lamp wiring as they currently aren't working
-wire factory fog lights to turn on even when brights are turned on

Short term plans:
-determine if bypassing the rad and installing an external transmission cooler is really necessary
-center diff drop kit if it doesn't have it already
-clear corners
-illuminate cup holders with LEDs to match factory dash lights (already noticed the difficulty in finding the cupholders at night when I drove it home)
-install heated seat kits
-remove clock from dash and take it to an electronics repair shop to see if it can be fixed

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed!

Last edited by cj_rezz; 12-13-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 PM

from looking at the side steps it might have a bodylift. But it might just be the angle. Nice find! I've always loved those colors. I like the old blue color they did a while back. But I dont think I would rock it on my '99. Get mechanical stuff outta the way first, of course assuming you probably already know that.. Figure out what the lift is and if you need a diff drop. If it's just two inches though you should be fine. Can't wait to see your future plans come to life. You got a sharp lookin rig.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 PM

All I gotta say is Good Luck Loosing that in a parking lot lol.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Is that the original paint? I know Toyota offered red but that red looks a bit too bright (they offered a darker red after '00) and I don't think Toyota fully painted the grill and the middle of the lower valance. Also a little iffy on the red accents on the inside but if it was painted right you shouldn't have any issues with paint rubbing off over time but overall that is a nice 4Runner.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

The red isn't a facotry color from 2002, it's Toyota Red. I think there was a darker red offered in 2002.

The interior paint seems to be very good quality. I couldn't chip it with my fingernail on the edge of the trim. Initially I hated the interior color but I think it was something that turned away a lot of potential buyers which allowed me to get it for such a good deal. And actually, the interior paint looks better in person and it's kind of growing on me. But worse case, I take the red parts off and take them to good good quality black paint put back on.

Red definitely wouldn't have been my first choice but when I saw the truck in person my mind was changed. I almost didn't go to look at it after I saw the pictures for the ad online.

I'll have to check if there is a body lift, I just assumed there wasn't.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 AM

I would definitely change the interior red accents, that would just drive me nuts. The rest of the car looks good overall. Wouldn't be my first choice in colors, but it is definitely one of a kind.

Does it have the locking rear diff? That is one thing that I never checked on mine before I bought it and it should have been the first. I was so excited to get the car I bought it and checked it out later....I'm still kicking myself for buying the Runner with out the E'locker.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Nice truck! I do love the Toyota Red!

As for the broken clock, check out this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/9...t-work-195848/
There is a guy on ebay (he's now on YT too) who can fix it.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice find, i was also looking for the 99 locked but ended up with an 02. I absolutely love it and don't regret a thing, the color is actually kinda cool. Get all the mechanics fixed and then get ready to live with an empty wallet...welcome to the addiction.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 PM

Overall, you got a pretty nice truck. Very unique!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

Nice looking runner! I like the red, it different. first thing i would get is a wallet chain, these crafty little suckers will pick your pocket in the blink of an eye.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 AM

As I suspected, there is definitely no body lift. Looks like spacers up front and longer coils in the back with yellow struts....

I'll definitely check out that guy on ebay to repair my clock as it's actually quite annoying to not have it working.

The locked '99 would have been ideal but I live in the prairies (Saskatchewan) and there aren't many good sites to get off road here. Some day we plan on moving out to British Columbia and there would be a lot more terrain out there so I might wish I waited for one with an e-locker then.

I got her back from the shop with the axle seals replaced and new brake shoes. Now it's driving real nice and hopefully this vehicle will be like my 92 pathfinder. I owned it for 7 years and didn't put a dime into repairs, just general maintenance.

I know the modding addiction all to well. This is my other baby that also makes me broke:

Picture was taken on Needles Highway just outside Sturgis during the Rallly.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Red3.slow
first thing i would get is a wallet chain, these crafty little suckers will pick your pocket in the blink of an eye.
Amen to this, this should be my next mod haha.

Sounds like an OME lift? What are the spacers made out of in the front? Rear yellow shocks are either Old Man Emu or Bilstien prolly. Cool looking 4R. I love those seats, but with a -49F windchill, I'm glad my leather ones are heated...