95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Peel & Seal user feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
-J-,

The butyl tape was purchased at an autoparts store. They usually keep it either with the weather strippping or with the autobody repair stuff. I got it at a place called Beacon autoparts long ago (they are long gone). I've seen it recently at a specialty autobody repair store.
thanks again Mike. I'll go by Pepboys and check this afternoon. I gotta go there and find some plastikote and denatured alcohol to paint my white Firestik II.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:58 PM

Hey, sorry to add to a dead thread, but i live up in the Woodlands area, and purchased half of my stereo at mobile one down there in spring, If you know of any places that sell PNS or know where i can get some without ordering it online, that would be really helpful.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Go to Lowes. I think it's near the roofing stuff or something. If you haven't found it by Sunday then let me know. I'm coming down to Houston Saturday for a week so I can check the Lowes stores by my house and pick some up and then meet you somewhere on Hwy 6 or in Tomball and give them to you. Just let me know.

Last edited by keisur; 12-13-2004 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Funny thing... I just spent all day Saturday stripping the interior of my truck to
put the stuff down under the carpet. Rewired both my amps and put everything
in nice and neat. Was about 6 hours worth of work, but came out great.

~castrol
Old 12-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

you did a better job with the front than I did. I started at the rear and worked my way up and by the time I got to the front my fingers were so sore I just started slapping it down.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

I figured the seats would absorb a lot of sound, so I spent most of my time working
around the tranny hull and floorboards. Seemed to work pretty well. Doors made the
most improvement though.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good man, I'm getting ready to do that myself. Did you end up getting it at Lowe's? I will try and go there tonight and if they don't have it I'll try and find it online and order it so that it'll be here by my xmas break.

Let us know how it sounds with all that stuff in there now. I may buy a bunch of it and put it on top of the other stuff that I've already got back there.

Fink
Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

I actually got mine from Keisur. Apparently he was moving, and didn't want to take
this stuff with him... so he GAVE it to me. Yep. Donated. Free. For that I am very
grateful. The rolls are nowhere near the size I was looking for while at Lowe's so that
is something to keep in mind.

Okay, my thoughts and feelings.

I did the doors and the back wall of the cab first.
This really made a huge difference in the way the doors sounded when they closed,
and also seemed to make my door speakers sound a lot less... tinny? Echoey? Hard
to describe. But the sound is a lot cleaner. I had to turn the bass down about 3
notches after doing the doors and back wall. I eventually want to carpet the back
of the cab.

This weekend I did the floor, and to be honest, I had a lot of noise coming from the
drivetrain. It did make some difference, and since my sub sits right on the floor, it
seemed to change something with that, because I had to turn my bass down another
2 notches. It just got to where it was too much. It didn't make the big difference the
doors and back wall made.

All in all, I would do it again, I just wish I would have had time to do the whole entire
truck at one time. I can imagine the difference would have been quite large, given the
amount of material I put in. Almost 3 rolls total, by the way.

Another byproduct of doing this... when the truck is on, and the stereo is blasting
away with the doors closed, there is VERY little sound escaping. Used to be you could
hear it like the windows were down and the doors were open. Now I can pull into my
driveway at night with the stereo going, and not bother anyone.

~castrol
Old 12-13-2004, 04:46 PM

I'll go to lowes tomorrow after school (I'm a senior, we get out at noon and i'll let ya know if i find any, I actually live in Willis, but have no problem driving to the woodlands (just got back from mobile one as a matter of fact, picking up a replacement fuse for my amp kit) The local lowes doesn't have it, nor does the local Home depot, but there is a home depot and a lowes in the woodlands... I'll let ya know how it goes, thanks for the reply btw.

I'm also picking up a lot of road noise that i think is coming from the wheel wells, I can PNS the doors, but what would be good to use on the inside of the weel wells? Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Well if you've got a 2nd gen its easy to remove the side storage pockets and then you can put a layer or two on top of the wheel well from inside, I did this and it quieted down my 33" BFG's quite a bit...atleast from my POV.

Fink
Old 12-13-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by castrolSi
when the truck is on, and the stereo is blasting
away with the doors closed, there is VERY little sound escaping. Used to be you could
hear it like the windows were down and the doors were open. Now I can pull into my
driveway at night with the stereo going, and not bother anyone.

~castrol
really? this makes it louder in the cab? i would have thought it would deaden it.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CCSeniorGuy05
I'll go to lowes tomorrow after school (I'm a senior, we get out at noon and i'll let ya know if i find any, I actually live in Willis, but have no problem driving to the woodlands (just got back from mobile one as a matter of fact, picking up a replacement fuse for my amp kit) The local lowes doesn't have it, nor does the local Home depot, but there is a home depot and a lowes in the woodlands... I'll let ya know how it goes, thanks for the reply btw.

I'm also picking up a lot of road noise that i think is coming from the wheel wells, I can PNS the doors, but what would be good to use on the inside of the weel wells? Any suggestions?
if you live in willis then stop at the one in Conroe off 105 I think it is. it's where the walmart is and also it's the Lake Conroe exit off of 45.

but what would be good to use on the inside of the weel wells? Any suggestions?
Mud.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:04 PM

That was the lowes I went to, I asked the old guy with a cane who was standing at the desk if they had peel and seal, he said that they used to carry it, but nobody was buying it, so they quit carrying it a couple of months ago...
(btw, that's loop 336)

the teenagers that worked at Home Depot, had no clue what peel and seal was, (all of whom were working in the roofing/insulation area of the store) and then one of them sent me to the paint department for some reason... The older lady knew what i was talking about, and it WAS in the roofing department, however they too quit carrying it...

Do you mean actual mud, or is that a reference to some other kind of sound deadening material?

(also, My rig is a 1997 4runner, so i think it's a 3rd gen, thanks for the idea tho)

Last edited by CCSeniorGuy05; 12-13-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a b#### of a time finding it and thats why i bought it from mcmasters. look in my writeup for the link

bob
Old 12-14-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

That was the lowes I went to, I asked the old guy with a cane who was standing at the desk if they had peel and seal, he said that they used to carry it, but nobody was buying it, so they quit carrying it a couple of months ago...
(btw, that's loop 336)

the teenagers that worked at Home Depot, had no clue what peel and seal was, (all of whom were working in the roofing/insulation area of the store) and then one of them sent me to the paint department for some reason... The older lady knew what i was talking about, and it WAS in the roofing department, however they too quit carrying it...

Do you mean actual mud, or is that a reference to some other kind of sound deadening material?

(also, My rig is a 1997 4runner, so i think it's a 3rd gen, thanks for the idea tho)
Mud was a joke. I'll PM you my cell phone number and you can call me next Monday. then I'll go get some. or you can go to the Lowe's at both Hwy 6 and 529 or the one on Fry Road, I know they have it. It's actually near all the flashing and stuff. I never ask people at those stores for anything because 9 outta 10 times they don't know their noggin from their caboose.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotaluver
really? this makes it louder in the cab? i would have thought it would deaden it.

Wait, I am confused.

I had to make some pretty dramatic adjustments in the way my stereo was
set up, but, I am not using anything even close to being considered quality
items. Yes, it is louder in the cab. I don't have to turn the volume levels to
NEAR what they were to achieve the desired "rocking out levels". Where I
used to listen to certain songs at a level of 19 (indicated on my cheap
Pioneer head unit) I can now get the same level of loudness at about 15.

The stereo is almost inaudible outside the truck at normal levels. Almost
totally. Higher levels, like really loud, are audible, but nothing like it was
before. You can hear the music, but you actually have to stop and concentrate
to figure out what song is playing.

I am running 2 pawn shop amps... an old school Coustic and a another amp
I can't even remember. (Cleveland? Cinciniati? Some city I think...)
Both cost me about $40. I am also running a Pioneer
HU that I got on sale for like $86 and Jensen 8" sub in a tube that I got from
Walmart for like $50. Polk audio are the highs, as they were the only thing
not stolen last time the truck was broken into.

The way I have it set up now, if it gets broken into again, pretty much all
they get is the cheap HU and a Jensen sub. Won't they be disappointed
when they look at that!!! The amps are now bolted to the cab after this
past weekend.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:27 PM

nothing at lowes. and didn't make it to home depot today. I think i'm going to just order it off mcmasters and go ahead and pay the shipping. I wont install it until it gets warmer anyways... it's supposed to freeze tonight, should i be worried about protecting my subwoofers (2 sony xplodes, 10"; prefab factory ported box w/amp mounted on box, so if i remove box and bring it in, it'll be a big pain in the arse...)

suggestions?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think they freeze. Home Depot doesn't carry that stuff, only Lowes, and I guess it's only the two Lowes I mentioned (Hwy6@529 and Fry@I-10). I believe the Lowes at 249 and Louetta has it too. it's like $12 a roll of 6"x36' or something. I may actually go get more because I still have a few places to finish up. they even have it at the one down the street from me here in Greenville on Woodruff Rd.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Well I went to one of the Lowe's here locally and I couldn't find it, I talked to three people and they couldnt find it either. I'm gonna have to go to the other Lowe's around here tomorrow I guess and hope they have it. If not then I'll have to order it online I guess.

Does anybody have the updated item number so I could give them that and maybe that would help.

Fink
Old 12-30-2004, 11:12 PM

hey guys, sorry for bringing this tread back up...
couple of questions, I noticed that some of you guys are doubling up the peel n seal. Is there a big difference with one layer and 2 layers?

Next, for like the cargo area and ceiling, some people are putting the peel and seal and then carpet padding. Do you think there will be a difference if i only put in one or the other?

Lastly, if ordering from mcmaster.com - Sound Deadening Material for Doors-
"Self-Stick Roll Roofing" (Part #9640T2 @ $18.56/roll) - is this for peel n seal or some other material like it? cuz it doesn't exactly say peel n seal.

Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Peel & Seal user feedback