Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Are Optima/Odyssey's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are Optima/Odyssey's worth the money?

Anyone who has an Optima or Odyssey battery, do you feel that the battery was worth the $$ you put into it? I'm due for a new battery, as mine I know is lagging right now. I've had it for 3 years, its a Truestart from Toyota!

I do not run a high power stereo system, nor do I run anything else besides a CB and lights. I am getting an air compressor soon though (MV50). Should I just stick to Interstate or something along those lines, or shell out the extra cash for a nice deep cycle?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a red top in my '96 in '02 or '03. Never had a problem with it and I don't plan on replacing it any time soon. Still going strong.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt bother unless you have high drain items like winches, high powered stereos, lights, etc.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
I wouldnt bother unless you have high drain items like winches, high powered stereos, lights, etc.
Thats what I was thinking.

I just don't want to be caught with my pants down somewheres.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I ran a red top in the 4Runner for 5+ years or so.
It never let me down.

This was with winching with it, listening to a powerful audio system with the engine off for 30 minutes at a time, it worked great.

Putting in a yellow top as a 2nd battery very soon.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 AM

i had a yellow top in mine, and i dont think that its worth it one of the cells went bad in it after about a year and the yellow top is the only one without a warr.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The red top is great for starting, the Odyssey you get the best of both worlds with deep cycle and cranking amps.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:57 PM

They are not, don't buy into marketing hype.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have 4 or 5 yellow tops that run like champs. A good battery cost $$$.

Invest in a good multipurpose battery charger too.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Whats a good battery charger? I've got an old one from what looks to be the 70's. It seems to work decent, but, who knows. I've only used it once.

Well, if you aren't going to want to spend the $$$ on a battery, what would you suggest? I wont be getting a winch for at least 1-2 years due ot the fact I am a full time student.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

I have had three optimas and for most people they would be great but for me they just do not have a big enough reserve. This means a quick cycle to dead and quick recharges which they do not like very much.
I am on my first set of two (to give me a 24 volt bank) Odysseys and so far I have been very impressed. They are expensive and heavy but just these two batteries are equivalent to roughly 9 Optima yellow tops and they would weigh considerably more and still be damaged by total discharges and quick recharges. I will let you know if these last the 10 years they were projected to last. If they do, then I will be a believer.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Whats a good battery charger? I've got an old one from what looks to be the 70's. It seems to work decent, but, who knows. I've only used it once.

Well, if you aren't going to want to spend the $$$ on a battery, what would you suggest? I wont be getting a winch for at least 1-2 years due ot the fact I am a full time student.
You could swap in a better alternator. (even scrounging junk yards for a higher amp alt that will be a direct (or nearly so) replacement. An higher amp alternator will make up for a marginal battery in all but the most demanding situations. It is my belief that the 40 amp (my estimation) alternator in my 4Runner was directly responsible for the early demise of every battery I ever installed. It just could not keep up with the demands and eventually the battery, no matter its reserve, is only as good as the alternator that feeds it.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, so you set 2 batteries in parallel to get your 24V... now, what do you run off that? What is the point of having 24V, wouldn't that damage the 12v circuits in the car? Ive taken a circuits class, but, cant remember
Old 09-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

Wow, so you set 2 batteries in parallel to get your 24V... now, what do you run off that? What is the point of having 24V, wouldn't that damage the 12v circuits in the car? Ive taken a circuits class, but, cant remember
In series to get 24 volts to power 2 air compressors. Output on the big one doubles from 8 CFM to 16 CFM when I run it on 24 Volts.

The circuit is isolated from the 12 volt system and is dedicated to the two compressors--both 24 volt. Although I may also eventually power a 24 volt winch as well since 24 volt winches have roughly double the power without consuming double the amps of a comparable 12 volt winch.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

I like your avatar. I am drinking a Tecate right now with salt and lime.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the odysseys.

Only concern there is that they are big. You'll need to fab up a custom bracket.

Never had an issue, great in cold weather, winch all day long, etc.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 PM

I purchased an optima yellow top back in February and I love it. Well worth the money. I've ran my stereo and auxillary lights for hours while I'm camping and it starts right up. I also monitor the output of it on my volts gauge, it never dropped below 13.5V during 4.5 hours of using my hellas without the motor running. IMO it was worth the $200
Old 09-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a good one that will charge multiple types of batteries (GEL, water, etc) and do other things like check your alternator, jump start, etc. I use mine every year at least to recharge my dead lawnmower 12V battery.

Seems like I picked it up at Target or somewhere for $25 on sale.

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
I have had three optimas and for most people they would be great but for me they just do not have a big enough reserve. This means a quick cycle to dead and quick recharges which they do not like very much.
I am on my first set of two (to give me a 24 volt bank) Odysseys and so far I have been very impressed. They are expensive and heavy but just these two batteries are equivalent to roughly 9 Optima yellow tops and they would weigh considerably more and still be damaged by total discharges and quick recharges. I will let you know if these last the 10 years they were projected to last. If they do, then I will be a believer.
I think the highlighted portion is the key. Like I said I have never had a problem with any of my Yellow Tops and I've drained them dead as a hammer numerous times and they always charge right back up over a period of a couple hours and the one in my 85 has been going for 3 years now no problems. I actually have (3) Yellow Tops in my 85...one for cranking and then a pair set up in a custom system with a marine switch and Painless Dual Battery wiring system. For the average 4x4er, an Optima is a good choice as it is small, sealed and can be mounted in any position.

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
I like your avatar. I am drinking a Tecate right now with salt and lime.
Any beer tha you have to put salt and lime in to make it drinkable is crap.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
I like the odysseys.

Only concern there is that they are big. You'll need to fab up a custom bracket.

Never had an issue, great in cold weather, winch all day long, etc.
Where did you hear that? i got the biggest one i could find (PC1700T) and it is too SMALL. It fits perfect except for how tall it is. I used a 2x4 to fix that and it fits fine.

And yes, it was 100% worth the money for the battery. When i switched it over you could hear the engine cranck over SO much faster and you can just tell it works better.

Plus i left my lights on one night by mistake and the next day it didn't even blink when i started it up.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM

I wish someone could show me one un-biased test where the Optima outperformed a competitor at half the price. I don't believe such a document exists. The only thing that says Optima is better is their marketing garb. I do agree that they may handle steep angles better, but for most folks that not an issue and I'm not even sure how much fact there is behind that either. Just remember to look beyond the marketing, you'll see the Optima isn't any different than other batteries that cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much.

Quick Reply: Are Optima/Odyssey's worth the money?