Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

older pick ups and snowboard carrying

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
older pick ups and snowboard carrying

hey all i am pretty new to the forums and have been really interested in yota trucks for awhile now. i want to out fit my truck for tahoe trips. light off roading and most importantly good gas mileage and daily drivability.

what is the best way to go about carrying snowboards and stuff?

i looked on yakima.com for roof racks and they offer one that attaches to your rain gutter (doesnt seem to strong of a hold)
or i was thinking just tying them up and having them stick out of the bed slightly. i just think the rack would look funny

thanks guys
Old 07-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Banned

Short beds are 6 feet long. How long is your board? My skis are 185s and they fit flat and straight in the bed. I could stack 100 pair back there with boots and close the tailgate and shell door. Longer ones could fit diagonally.

The roof raingutter things won't work too well unless you have a cab high shell on the bed and a different type of mounting for the rear rack. Those really effect areodynamics which will slow you down on the climbs. I speak from experience.

Also there are products that are like roof racks but they go across the top of the bed. With that if it hangs past the tailgate some its no big deal. I'm not sure who makes or sells them though.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:53 AM

rack

I got a rack that carries two snowboards and attaches to a window via suction cups and you roll the window up on it. I've had it for like 5 years and never let me down. I think they discontinued making them though. Just throw them in the bed and you will be fine. You might want to spend money on performance before a rack so you can make it up the hills. Have you thought about getting a 4runner? I have a first gen 4runner and love it. You might also want to look into getting a turbo if you need more power, or v6. Turbo much more fun to work on and modify but v6 easier to find. Either way if you go with a yota you will be happy. I'll see you on the slopes of Kirkwood
Old 07-28-2003, 01:18 PM

I have a Thule roofrack with gutter feet that mounts on the roof with Yakima Plus-Nut Toploaders. These are bolt-through the roof with an expandable anchor so that the headliner doesn't need to be removed. My 94 did not have gutters, and I didn't want to use the aero feet with a short roof kit since I didn't think that it would be too secure. I have a Bauer roof basket(with (2) Hella 500 and (2) ProComp 100watt lights on Wilderness Racks clamp on light brackets and a luggage rack clamp CB antenna mount), Thule long tray bike carrier and my hi-lift jack mounted(with a 4x Rack) on the cross bars. I was wary about drilling through the skin of my truck, but for a roof rack it was the most secure option.

Last edited by seafarinman; 07-28-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

having been a long time yakima user , you can trust the gutter mounts completely if installed properly , and if your racks are close to gther it wont matter much as long as one binding is between the racks , thats more for theft than anything else , a great source for used yakima racks and accesories is on ebay , the 1a towers are what you would need for raingutters . and the proper bar length , probably a 48 inch, and then which ever snowboard/ski rack you desire , theres a lot of options , i beleive yakima is making a magnet mount rack now too. , worse comes to worse , attach a rack across the bed of your truck for securtiy and your bed wont get banged up and then of you ever decide to get a mtn bike and ride those same trials during the summer that you just scorched down that winter youll be all set up for a bike rack . again try ebay for a less expensive bike rack for the same bed style rack , i wouldnt suggest placing bikes on top of cab , theres not enough distance between the bars to give optimum preformance.

if in doubt follow the yakima guidlines. there have great products , but they are very proud of them , as you can see by there prices , again check ebay.

airrikk17
Old 07-29-2003, 08:50 PM

wait so a 4 cyl yota truck wont make it up the hills to tahoe or the mountains in general???

and thanks for the info guys

im gonna try just putting them in the bed and if it doesnt work or messes up my board then ill go yakima.

im going to herculine the bed and inside of cab with in the 1st week of owning it . any suggestions or warnings on that?

Last edited by needayota; 07-29-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Herculine... is that the DIY stuff?

I hear that stuff peels terribly. I used another DIY brand to spray one of my sliders and now I'm in the middle of sanding it all off because of the chipping and peeling :pat:

My opinion is to just suck it up and pay for a Rhino lining. I had that put in my truck shortly after I got it and I don't regret it at all.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:44 PM

4cly

A 4cyl toyota will make it up any hill, it just won't break any speed records doing it. If you are the kind of person that has to keep up with traffic this might be a problem. My engine does fine in the hills for me, I can pretty much keep 55 in 3rd gear up some pretty steep passes. Good luck