Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Wheels & Tires are On! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any shimmys or shakes between 65 and 75 mph?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Very well done. I'm thinking they'd look good painted black
Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM

What's really amazing here is that you took before and after pics in the same exact location! Ha ha. Wouldn't it have been easier if you took pics right after you were done, regardless of where that was?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:43 PM

can moderators please delete this thread? its making me want these wheels too bad!!!!

seriously people, i just spent a ton on my runner, i dont need to go drop 700 more on new wheels
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM

Rock Slide, your 4Runner looks great - one of your pics is my new screen saver.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sloan
yep, i go for bama but i've been to every auburn home game this year... even picked up an Auburn University shirt from Tiger Rags at the New Mexico St. game to show some support. I doubt though I will have any Orange and Blue on though come Saturday, November 24th
Give it time...you still got a ways to go before the Iron Bowl. I am sure you will have converted by then . Buying that AU shirt was the first step.

Originally Posted by 89-4run
Rock, love the look! I too was looking forward to seeing the new tires and wheels on your rig Very good stuff and congrats!
Thanks. Really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by spacewrangler
any shimmys or shakes between 65 and 75 miles per hour?
No shimmy or shakes. It has a very minimal amount of shutter to it between those speeds, but I feel it's simply b/c of the roads. Sometimes I don't feel it all, other times I do. It did this even before the wheels and tires which leads me to believe it's the roads causing the shutter.

Granted it rides a little stiff b/c of the lift, but I do not mind it one bit.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
Very well done. I'm thinking they'd look good painted black
I'd like to see that too. Granted I would never do it to mine, but I would like to see it .

I would also like to see the spokes painted a gunmetal grey, but leave the lip unpainted. For example, the picture below almost has that look. Just would like to see those spokes a little darker grey for the full effect:

Originally Posted by Shoua
What's really amazing here is that you took before and after pics in the same exact location! Ha ha. Wouldn't it have been easier if you took pics right after you were done, regardless of where that was?
Maybe, but by doing it this way, I feel it gives better reference points for comparison. Second, the background in any photo can either add or take away from the main focal point of the picture. Thus the reason I opted to take a shot of my 4Runner parked on a small street in a heavily wooded area and another of it parked on the white concrete of a small auto shop's parking lot. Both landscapes add to the picture in their own unique way.

As far as having the same before and after pictures, that was merely luck! I really did not mean to take the pictures in the exact same location...I simply took a TON of before and after pictures just for the heck of it. When it came time to post them in this thread, I was just as surprised as you to find that so many matched!

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
can moderators please delete this thread? its making me want these wheels too bad!!!!

seriously people, i just spent a ton on my runner, i dont need to go drop 700 more on new wheels

Sure you do. Go ahead and drop the money today. Then you can have that weak and queasy feeling later about spending money you don't have

Originally Posted by Dillon
Rock Slide, your 4Runner looks great - one of your pics is my new screen saver.

Great!

I will do my best to get more so that one does not get old

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-21-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Hey Rockslide - when you had the tires delivered to you house, did you have any trouble getting them to an installer? I just had Goodyear MTR's 265/75/16 delivered to my house, and they're big tires. I wonder if they'll all fit in the back of my 4runner.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Great looking wheels, good choice on Tire brand, the Mud Grapplers would have looked better on there i think. but still, looks GREAT on your 3rd Gen. and the TRD wheels really compliment the looks of your 4Runner.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Hey Rock, that setup is sweet! Congrats!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by johnw999
Hey Rockslide - when you had the tires delivered to you house, did you have any trouble getting them to an installer? I just had Goodyear MTR's 265/75/16 delivered to my house, and they're big tires. I wonder if they'll all fit in the back of my 4runner.
It was a tight fit, but with the back seats folded down, I was able to get all 4 tires + the 4 new rims (still boxed up) in there. Yeah, I did not think it would all fit either, but it did.

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Great looking wheels, good choice on Tire brand, the Mud Grapplers would have looked better on there i think. but still, looks GREAT on your 3rd Gen. and the TRD wheels really compliment the looks of your 4Runner.
Originally Posted by 89-4run
Hey Rock, that setup is sweet! Congrats!
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the compliments!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Rock, I know it's been said more then a few times but, VERY NICE WHEELS! Now I have to start looking for a set too! Several of your posts have inspired my modding, getting ready to do another light mod, looking at putting VW side markers. Really nervous about cutting big holes in my fenders, but what the heck. I found a set of VW side markers this past weekend and they are LED so they will have that nice clean clear look but be very bright amber. I'll post here when I start the mod with pics of course. Once again, sweet wheels!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Ritzy .

Good luck on the turn signal mod...I've been eyeing that one too, but I have not built up the courage yet to cut those holes in the body

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:22 PM

looks real nice.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i think those just completed the look of your rig, very nice
Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

UPDATE 5.22.08

PART 1
Went wheelin' last weekend and learned the hard way that subjecting alloy wheels to rocks is not the smartest move.

While climbing a very rocky hill, my front right wheel slammed into a nice sized rock. I hit it with enough force that my truck jumped 3ft back upon the hit. When I got to the top of the hill, I got out and inspected the rim & tire for damage. The tire was fine, but the rim had 'earned' a small scratch. Definitely something I could live with.

2 or 3 days after, I finally got around to cleaning the truck. I took all 4 tires off to clean out all the mud and found that the damaged wheel was more than just scratched...it had actually cracked into 2 places.

Just to point out, the wheels were not over torqued. Since day one, they were torqued to the proper ft lbs and have been done so every time I rotate my tires.

Small scratch:

Scratch in relation to the 2 stress fractures:

Left side fracture:

Right side fracture (notice that valley on top):

Guess I'll be ordering a new wheel real soon. Probably should also invest in a 2nd set of wheels and tires just to wheel with...this could get expensive otherwise. It was a fun day nonetheless. Sorry no wheelin' pictures.

PART 2
My 4Runner developed a wobble about 2wks ago any time I applied the brakes while moving. It felt like a grocery buggy with one wobbly wheel. Other than braking, the truck drove fine.

I knew it could not be my rotors b/c I just upgraded to the tundras, so I took the 4Runner down to a local tire shop and had them look at it. They confirmed my brakes were fine and found the problem to be caused by my left rear tire. The tech said it's the same feeling he feels when a tire is on the verge of seperating. He spun the tire on the machine and showed me the wobble in it. So he swapped my spare on and the now the truck drives fine. It just sucks because I have only 14k miles on them.

I have always rotated them at the correct intervals and have always kept them at the correct air pressure. I have already odered a new tire and it should be here today. Plan to mount it tomorrow.

Discount tire has already emailed me a discounted ups shipping label to return the defective tire to them as soon as my new one arrives. I was told I should expect some form of credit back because of this defect.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-21-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Man,I can't believe you did that to the rim,that must've been one heck of a whack. Sucks you had an issue with the Nittos but it'll be remedied and you should have pretty much a solid life wityh the Nittos. Mine are getting close to 40k and I still should see plenty of treadlife til next spring when i'll get a new set.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Just got both my new TRD wheel and new nitto installed. Truck rides much better (and safer) now.

And yes, I will continue to run nittos. I have been very, very pleased with them. Discount Tire was also very understanding in the tire matter too. Between purchasing a new tire and sending the old one back for a refund, the process was very smooth. Great guys to do business with.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 05-27-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good choice, man, that's a clean rig. good luck wit'em!

oh no! i posted before i saw pg. 2! jeez i wish i wished you that good luck a little sooner!

get a set of steelies for off roadin', ya madman!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 05-27-2008 at 08:44 AM.