Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New info/fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New info/fuel pump

For those of you that don't know, I've had problems with my rig ever since I had the head gasket recall done. After it was done, me and a buddy of mine ran some injector cleaner through it at the dealership because we couldn't figure out why it was missing (and the jackass mechanic said it was normal). The problem is that for the first 5 minutes he didn't have the fuel pump disconnected. Ever since then my engine has sounded different, especially when cold or under load.

So I went up to the dealership the other day and talked to a mechanic. He said that when you don't disconnect the fuel pump, it blows a valve in the fuel pump. He did say that the vehicle wouldn't run. My truck runs so I think that it could have damaged the fuel pump and therefore is not putting out the right fuel pressure. Does this sound possible?

I pulled one of my spark plugs the other day and it was white (which means lean for those that don't know). I haven't gotten any codes though.

My original thoughts were that maybe the fuel pressure regulator or the injectors could have gotten messed up. The fuel pump didn't even cross my mind until now. I guess it makes sense.

So, does anyone know how hard it would be to replace the fuel pump? Would it be a job for the dealership to do?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Re: New info/fuel pump

Originally posted by 93_Runner06

So, does anyone know how hard it would be to replace the fuel pump? Would it be a job for the dealership to do?
Depends on your ability and tools. This sounds like a dealership issue. Can't they resolve it since it was never done right in the first place?

You: Truck runs fine + headgasket recall performed = truck runs crappy. How hard is that for the dealer to figure out?

The dealer is responsible in my eyes. Do you have any documentation for the problems you are experiencing?

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 06-12-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

See the problem is that when we did the injector cleaning it was a side job. My buddy works at Toyota so I only had to pay for the cleaner. There wasn't a work order generated or anything like that.

As for documentation, all I have are the receipts. I didn't write down every time that I have been to the dealership. It has been plenty though.

I think I f-ed this one up. When the dumbass mechanic told me the miss was normal, I should have just called the 1-800 number instead of messing with it. I may still call the number anyway, but I'm probably SOL.

Now the truck doesn't run all that crappy anymore. It has a hesitation every once in a while and the engine sounds different from what it did before the injector cleaner. It doesn't miss anymore. It's just the sound. It isn't all that bad, but just gets on my nerves a little.

I will never take it back to the dealer that did the work.

TOR,
You work at the dealership right? Could you ask the techs what would happen if you do the injector cleaning with the fuel pump hooked up? I would like to have a second opinion so that I can continue to try and figure out what my problem might be.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2003, 03:29 PM

Hey man, I don't know if it's helpful, but I've changed fuel pumps on a bunch of EFI cars (not toyotas) but I don't remember seeing a valve in or around the fuel pump. I think they are all pretty much the same tho. I know you are supposed to disconnect the fuel pump when performing certain fuel injector cleaning techniques, but I dont see how it would be harmful if you didn't, other than diluting the cleaning agent. This is pure speculation, but if the fuel injector cleaning technique + your fuel pump = 2x the fuel pressure, then it may have messed up your fuel pressure regulator....or your fuel pump pressure is > fuel injector cleaning machine and they never got cleaned......or maybe I need another beer hehe GL
Old 06-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by heliax
...This is pure speculation, but if the fuel injector cleaning technique + your fuel pump = 2x the fuel pressure, then it may have messed up your fuel pressure regulator....or your fuel pump pressure is > fuel injector cleaning machine and they never got cleaned......or maybe I need another beer hehe GL
I asked the mechanic and he said that it wouldn't have hurt the fuel pressure regulator. I know there was a lot of stress on it because the fuel line going to it started leaking. I can still feel it pulsating like it should.

Umm beer...I think I'll go and get one too.