Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

my taco just got wrecked.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my taco just got wrecked.....

well i went to a friends house last night and there was a few people over there, and another friend of mine in a heep strangler was there to.... as the kid in the heep left, he backed into my rear fender just behind the cab...now its all mangeled....and i have to pay some more money to get it fixed....it makes me sick that this happend, i havent had the truck but for 2 months on the 27th....

as i write this, the person that hit it calls me and tells me that he will just pay for the damages, and dosent want to turn it in to the insurance....dont know why, but should i do this, or should i say hit and run, or should i tell the truth? his parents are afraid cause its only his 1st month driving and i dont think he has full coverage.....i dunno, any help would be appreciated on what i should do, take it to a shop and fix it, bill the kid, or take it to insurance?

later
:cry: :cry:
Old 08-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

get the estimates and the cash before your 72 hours to report it is up. its cool he called and want to clear it up. check and make sure thats the law in WA (72 hrs. here in OR).
Old 08-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, get an estimate TODAY and if they can't put up the cash right away, then you can go to insurance.

That really sucks.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:20 AM

well i work all day today, and i dont think that the insurance is open, and let me get it straight cause im so pissed right now i cant see straight..... i should take the truck to a body shop and get a written estimate before 72 hours, cause after that i cant hold them responible??just want to clarify things.... thanks for the help to....

wade
Old 08-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Wade,

You need to get an estimate NOW! It sucks that he's a new driver, but thats his problem, not yours. Next thing you know, you're paying for the repairs, and trying to hassle his folks for cash. That's what insurance policies are for. Whether or not he has full coverage only affects whether damage to his vehicle, all damages to yours should be covered.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

I think what jake was saying is that in OR, you have 72 hours to report an accident to an insurance company. It may/may not be the case in WA.

Ideally you should deal with their insurance, not yours. It you go to your own insurance, you will have to put up the deductible until they recover the charges from the other insurance company.

If you go through their insurance, you don't have to put up a penny.

Claims offices for insurance companies always have an 800 number that is staffed 24-7.

Maybe there's a body shop close by so that you could get an estimate over lunch?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

no
the law in oregon is this: you must report any accident where the damage to vehicle/property is $1000 or greater to the dmv. it is an accident report, and you are required by law to fill it out if you meet the criteria. in oregon you have 72hrs to get one, fill it out, and return it to the dmv.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wimpy,

don't wait for this guy to get back to you while your legal obligation to report this to your insurance and/or DMV runs out. as others have said, get an estimate ASAP. and don't get it at a cheap, low-budget looking place. go call one or two toyota dealerships in your area and ask them where they take their vehicles for body work.

second, i have experienced and have heard too many stories of people trying to settle out of insurance b/c "my parents this and that" or "my boss will fire me" etc. usually this means they don't have money and are trying to stall for time. i know this isn't always the case, but 9/10 times, it always turns out this way, esp if the damage amount is high.

you should get your truck fixed asap to perfect condition. and remember, that is what YOU pay for insurance too so forget the sob stories.

Bob
Old 08-16-2003, 10:45 AM

yeah the thing is were decent friends, sense the 3rd grade, and i know they have money cause there actually pretty wealthy, i actually have no problem just taking it to the same place insurance would send it and haveing them do the work and letting the guy pay, but my insurance gets me a rental for downtime like that, he wont....thats what im contemplating right now, cause i could have my engine out of the 94 pickup into the 4 runner in like 2 days tops... so i may do that and just drive the runner for awhile and make him pay my insurance on that as well as the other damge fee's or something, i dont think that they can fix my bed either, cause its creased and hit hard...so i think its gonna be expensive....you guys have any idea how much it would be....its about hte same damage as getting rear ended at about 15 mph.....

oh well...ill get it fixed, its only metal.

thing that pisses me off is it was a heep that inflicted the damage... I think he was just jelouse

later
wade
Old 08-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Accident

If this guy hit you and ran, you should report his sorry a$$ to the police for not having the kahoneys to admit what he did. Not any friend I would want would do such a thing.

You are asking to get SCREWED by letting him pay you without reporting it to the insurance company. You need to talk to your insurance, the police and/or a good lawyer or you are never going to get your Taco fixed by anything other than your own wallet!

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt and got SCREWED!

Brian
Old 08-16-2003, 07:30 PM

yeah i wont get screwed, i have 36 more hours to report it if i want to, but he has insurance, didnt run, and offerd to pay right away, i have his info, and the people have money, there really isnt a way that i can get screwed on the deal, and i already talked to my lawyer about it....basically im just gonna go get an estmate and the get that plus some more money for being out of a car....whatever though, if worse comes to worse, he will just turn it into his insurance, hes working with me on it though, im not worried about getting ripped off.

wade
Old 08-16-2003, 07:46 PM

i manage a bodyshop & we get people in all the time
that say someone else is going to pay for it & doesn't want to run
it through there insurance, then when they see how much bodywork is now a days they think different,
unless they have money to piss away or are worried
about there insurance going up they will most likely
turn in a claim,
i recommend getting at least 3 estimates & choosing the best shop to do the work not the cheapest.
take good photos for evidence as well

my 2 cents

eric
Old 08-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

If you want to have recourse for the work that is done on your truck, then I would turn it into the insurance company. After they do the estimate, they may find other things wrong. If they(the father) pays you for the first estimate, will they pay you for the future work? Probably not.

It's not your job to worry if his rates go up. Your not trying to defraud anyone. You need to take care of your truck and make sure its done right.

I was rear-ended by a car once on the highway. I got a police report that showed it was totally her fault. The father calls me up and tells me he doesn't want to go through the Insurance co. He even told me where he wanted me to get the work done. I was afraid his place was going to railroad my truck through. I ended up going through the Ins. and going to the shop I wanted.

Be careful!! Remember, the father is looking out for his son and trying to save money. He doesn't care if the work is done right on your vehicle. Don't sign anything!!!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Just another thought:

If you do turn it into the insurance co, his issue (the father) should not be with you, but with his own son for driving so carelessly.