Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My new 96 Tacoma started missing!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new 96 Tacoma started missing!!! HELP!!!

Ok guys here is the story...

Went down last friday to a used car lot, and struck up a deal on a 1996 Toyota Tacome 4x4 w/ 122,000 miles on it. I put $500 down, and signed the papers... They wouldn't let me take it off the lot (GOOD THING!!!) because the insurance places were closed, and I could not get proof of insurance (required to take the vehicle off the lot)...

OK So I got insurance on the truck on Monday, went down there with the rest of the cash... Paid the truck off in full, and asked them to bring it around for me... Well they couldn't get it to start. First they said the battery boost chager box wasn't strong enough, even though it was turning over just fine... I was standing there watching all of this mind you... Then they said it was out of gas, went to the nearest gas station got gas, came back and put it in the truck... Still would not start. Now I was starting to get mad, and thinking about getting my money back. They called the mechanic down, the mechanic tested for spark. It did have spark. He pulled a plug and it was dry, so he decided it wasn't getting gas, and he would pull the tank to replace the fuel pump and deliver the truck to me tomorrow...

SO today rolls around, my Uncle says that I can still get my money back and they legealy have to give it to me because I haven't taken dilevery of the vehicle yet, so he said DO NOT LET THE DELIVER IT TO YOU! So they called and said it was done and that it was not the fuel pump, but it was actually the "Ignition switch relay"... OK, whatever. I told them not to bring it to me, and that I would come and pick it up after work... My uncle took me down there, and everything seemed fine. The truck started and sounded ok in the lot. My uncle left, and I started to leave shortly after he did. I noticed the dash lights were not working, so I turned back into the lot and told them that. They said they couldn't help me because all the tools were locked up because the mechanic had gone home, but assured me that it was a good rig, and just buy some fuses from WalMart... OK so I head back out, and I didn't even get 1/8th of a mile down the road, and it started missing, and the check engine light came on. I was gone from the lot for less than 2 minutes. I turned around and took the truck back and told them that it was a turd and I hadn't even gotten to the next stop light and the engine started missing, and the check engine light came on.. They tried to tell me that it was fine, and to go and drive it around for a couple of days and the computer had to reset itself from changing the new sensor in!!!

The thing they changed looked like a bug fuse that would come from the engine compartment. The salesman said it came from behind the dash somewhere. It was a green in color... << like that color... Anyway, would changing this thing have anything to do with the miss? If the computer resets will the miss go away? Should I get my money back before it's too late?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you got a used car lot gem :pat: i really doubt that the relay would have anything to do with the check engine light, but the misfire would, and no it probably wont go out after you drive it for awhile, i would take it back and see if you can get them to fix it, I'm not too educated on how the legalities work with this kind of situation, but I'm sure someone who does will reply, and Welcome to Yotatech
Old 11-30-2004, 07:25 PM

Get your money back and go buy another Toyota, any other Toyota!
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Did anyone check this truck for the external HG leak?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:40 PM

I guess the relay had to do with why it wouldn't start last night. I know that they pulled the EFI fuse out last night long enough to reset the computer when they were trying to find out why the truck wouldn't start. I'm thinking I should just get my money back also, but they won't give it to me. They will however sell me a warranty ($700-$1800 depending on which package I get). I don't know what they are required to do by law, anyone know if I have a certain ammount of time to take it back.. Technically I haven't taken possesion of the truck yet. This sucks!

What is an external HG leak?

Last edited by RacnJsn95; 11-30-2004 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Adding to the post...
Old 11-30-2004, 07:46 PM

Most of the lemon lots around here will give you three days to take it back..

.. not all, though.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:30 PM

Well what did you pay for it, and obviously it has some probs, but what kind of appearance shape is it in?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:31 PM

Schuey... Where are you at? I'm in Oregon also, and I think it is damp and rainy... Especially right now... It sucks...

My Dad and my Uncle are going to go down with me tomorrow. If the truck doesn't run perfect tomorrow, than we will begin the fight to get my money back. If it does run then we will begin the fight to get a warranty for free due to my inconvienence for the last 5 days... Anyone have any ideas why it's missing?

*edit* It's in great shape! It was a one owner adult owned truck! Super straight, nice paint, nice interior, new goodyear tires. On paper I paid $10,000 for it, but that was only to get the bank to finance me. I ended up cancelling the financing and paying cash. So I paid ~$7000 for it... Still a little high for a 96 Standard cab, short bed. Extremely high since it does't run!!! The weird thing is that it ran great for my test drive last Friday, and now it doesn't run worth a damn! I'm just glad it starting having problems before it even left the lot... If I would have actually taken possesion of it, then I wouldn't be able to get jack from them!

Last edited by RacnJsn95; 11-30-2004 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Adding more to the post...
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 PM

I'm down here in Coos Bay.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:06 AM

External head gasket leak test...

How is this done?
Old 12-01-2004, 04:23 AM

I don't believe that it is the head gasket... It will only miss untill it gets upto about 3000 rpms, and then it will stop and run... I really really really want my money back... It's been 5 days and I haven't been able to get 1/16th of a mile away from the lot!
Old 12-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eduardo kang
External head gasket leak test...

How is this done?
It's not a test. Just call any dealer with your VIN and find out if the 3.4 has had the HG recall done. It was an external problem and applies to 96 and 97 models.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95
I don't believe that it is the head gasket... It will only miss untill it gets upto about 3000 rpms, and then it will stop and run... I really really really want my money back... It's been 5 days and I haven't been able to get 1/16th of a mile away from the lot!
So essentially you bought a truck without test driving it. Is that right?

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-01-2004 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:03 AM

i would run as fast as you can from this tacoma. Anyhow if your determined to go with it have the dealer change the Throttle Positioning Sensor also. My truck was cutting out at around 2500-> 3000 because of a bad tps sensor.

....get your money back and buy an old 22r. Those things run forever.
good luck man.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the truck checked out by another mechanic you trust (ask friends and family for one they recommend if you don't know anyone). Even if you have to pay for it, a second opinion and a decent list of what is wrong with the truck will be invaluable. Then I would take that back to the dealer you bought it from and either have them fix the items on the list or go into legal action against them to get the money back. This is their opportunity to make good and refusing to fix the items will show a lack of responsability and potentially false representation on their part (very good legal leverage).

The less stressful route may be to accept what you bought and just start fixing whatever is broken on the truck but it may cost you a bit since you have no idea what is wrong with it currently.

First thing I would do is to get the CEL code read....that should give you some indication of where any serious problems lie. Post the code # here if you need more help on diagnosis.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-01-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:35 AM

A coil pack begining to go bad can cause problems starting, missing, and will set off the Check Engine Light. I second the motion to take take it to another mechanic for diagnostics - heck, take it to Autozone and they can pull the codes for free.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:44 PM

Run from it. There are a bunch of reg. cab tacomas out there. I agree with everyone else and say forget it!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

What motor are we talking about anyway?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:25 PM

I did test drive it on last Friday, and it ran great! But then the problems started on Monday when I went to pick it up at the dealer... It has the 2.7 4 cyl. They fixed it today, they said it was just a bad plug wire, but I'm tired of messing with it, and I just want my money back... My Dad went down with me tonight, and took it for a test drive. He is, and has been a mechanic for the last 20 or so years, and has his own shop. He mainly focuses on Harleys, go-karts, motorcycles and quads now though. He said at first it had a little exhaust leak. Now that it finally ran, he took it out, and really got on it, and it blew out a chunk of the exhaust gasket (where the exhaust bolts to the manifold), and made the leak bigger, and really noticable... Turns out when the dealer mechanic was putting a new manifold on the truck, he over tightened it and broke off one of the ears. Instead of telling someone he just used a big washer and a nut and bolt to hold it together... My Dad told the dealer that he wanted it fixed, and they flew off the handle saying to take it to a mechaninc and put it on a scope. Blah blah blah... Then he said to come back tomorrow and if the dealer mechanic agrees with what is wrong (which is blatantly obvious) then he will cancel the deal and I can get my money back! So my Dad is going to go down tomorrow and get my money and my car back. I hope the don't chance their minds. Dad will get it. We are going to look for another Taco on Saturday! Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 12-02-2004, 03:52 PM

Def. get your money back, 7000 is quite high, haha. My brother (2 years ago) got a 95 Taco V6 manual, ex-cab, 4x4 for 6800 (BUY-IT-NOW on Ebay). Lease return, awesome shape too.

But, yeah...just keep fighting for your money back. I imagine they will give in.

Quick Reply: My new 96 Tacoma started missing!!! HELP!!!