Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

mobile 1 synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does the Pennzoil run per quart? They had it buy one get one free at the Advance Auto around here but by the time I got there all they had left were the weird weights (20w-50, etc). I'm not the type that has M1 branded on my buns so I'm willing to change to something better. I have just stuck with M1 forever since they used to be near the top.

Also, why would Mobil 1 make a change for the worse when they have built up such a huge customer base? Do they just figure people won't find out? The type of person that buys full synthetic motor oil is the type that cares about this sort of thing.

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 08-16-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chimmike
FYI:

the formula of Mobil 1 has changed. It is no longer a full synthetic, it has some dino base formulas.

I recommend Pennzoil Platinum. A VERY good oil with excellent reviews and tests post-engine run.

check out Bob Is the Oil Guy (a lubrication/maintenance forum intensive on oils......M1 isn't all that great anymore)
Got a link to this? That is the first i have heard about it and i will be doing my oil pretty soon.

I also don't mind going with something else, just want the best for my baby.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobile 1 along with only a few other brands are made from a synthetic base meaning it's a true synthetic.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

That is what i found when i spent a LONG time reviewing all the oils before my first oil change.

That is why i want to know if it has really changed.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 AM

Post Mobile1 is no longer a true synthetic

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...=all&vc=1&nt=8

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=mobil+1

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/...ad.php?t=44601

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...synthetic-now/

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157034

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140252

http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads....te_id/1#import

I use to use mobil 1, i just felt cheated because i thought it was a true synthetic.

Last edited by Knuckles; 08-16-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM

I have heard this about M1 before on the GTO site I go to. Also, the site chimmike recommended above (http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...t=0&Board=UBB1) does have threads about M1 not being as good as it used to be.

Rob
Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Well, well.

After reading those i see that there seems to have been a lawsuite that was the reasonf ort eh change (read it for yourself).

So now the question is, What IS a TRUE Synthetic??
Old 08-16-2007, 08:41 PM

I have been running Mobil1. and a K&N oil fliter for years. I change it every 3000 mile and it still looks cleand when it drains out. I pretty much only run my truck for wheeling now so I only change it about 1 time a year now. Does anyone have any experience with Royal Purple? I have a buddy that works on rare european sports cars and he says RP is all his shop uses.

Mark
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 AM

I run Royal purple 5w30 in my 3.4 Taco. The reason is that I only pay $4.16 a qt. because I work at NAPA. Anyone know how it compares to Mobil One? My cost is cheaper than Mobil One but if it's not as good I would switch over.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:06 AM

I think Royal Purple is considered better than Mobil 1. M1 doesn't claim to increase horsepower just by using their oil (from less friction), which Royal Purple does and has backed up with testing.

Rob
Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 AM

You guys need to get your story straight for one thing. This all happened 7 or 8 years ago.! Mobile 1 has never let me down and there's no reason to feel it will now! It's almost funny how story's get so far off track and untruths added all the time. You guy's do what you want but there is no reason at all to switch from Mobile1. It's still the best on the market today and that has been proven many times. Nothing has been changed at all. Mike
Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

It isn't going to mkae me spend more on a true synthetic and I'm not going back to dino oil so it doesn't matter to me. I know my M1 pours better below zero than dino oil and I did this test just last year like I did 12 years ago.

I could also test M1 on the stove like I did 12 years ago and see what burns up quicker.
I think all these threads are just silly and don't really prove anything from what i read.
If I was driving a drag/roadcourse car again I might consider Royal Purple or the like but M1 is fine in my 190hp 4Runner.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Show me where Mobile 1 is no longer a synthetic oil. They are not likely to be doing false advertising with there great reputation in the synthetic field.
I remember when they first hit the market and several other oil company's tried to put them down in every way they could but there claims were proven false and Mobile 1 won out.

Chimmike, Get a life. Before you start making false accusations about Mobile not being a full synthetic you better be able to back it up with proof and not just gossip from other sites. Do you really believe that Mobile 1 would destroy there reputation in such a foolish manner?
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Lu...bil1_5W-30.asp
Old 08-18-2007, 02:36 AM

Yaaawwwn........ yet another oil thread.

I agree. Show the real PROOF that they are selling something other than what they advertised.

Oil choices are as plentiful as people's choice of prophylactic for intercourse:
I don't think there is one "right" product. Choose what feels right!

People are so worked up about this oil or that oil. As long as you have proper OCI's with a UOA to validate your decision, then what's the problem?

And short of having a crazy all-out race engine worth as much as most people's car, then I think it is pretty hard to justify spending big bucks on low volume synthetics. (The Mobil1's, Castrol, and such that Walmart carries should do just fine.) Your engine will last long already just by regular maintenance. You can spend twice as much on synthetics, and perhaps make a marginal gain in performance or longevity.

But it is it really worth it on an engine that can be replaced for $1000?

Not every vehicle is worth the extra expense.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:07 AM

Thank you Q-DawgVFR! Well Said! This is a thread about something that is 7 years old and just to be sure everyone understands there was no lawsuit. Another internet myth that people have latched on to. If we didn't know there was any difference up to now then why even be worried about it. Let's change our oil regularly with the oil of our choice and get on with life.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 AM

While I was doing my motor someone told me that I shouldnt use the synthetics to break the motor in with. That they were to slippery and would'nt let the rings wouldnt seat. This guy also recomended I use diesel grade oil rather than gas oil as the formulation has changed over the last couple of years and did'nt do well either. Anyone else heard this? I'm at 2500 now and getting ready to put the 3rd change in, I'll use Mobil 1 from now on.
Jim
Old 08-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

My friend rebuilt his '97 Supra's motor and he ran dino oil for the first 1800 miles changing at 600 miles and then switched to M1 syn and the last time down the strip was a mid 10 in the 1/4.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by foot0069
While I was doing my motor someone told me that I shouldnt use the synthetics to break the motor in with. That they were to slippery and would'nt let the rings wouldnt seat. This guy also recomended I use diesel grade oil rather than gas oil as the formulation has changed over the last couple of years and did'nt do well either. Anyone else heard this? I'm at 2500 now and getting ready to put the 3rd change in, I'll use Mobil 1 from now on.
Jim
I prefer to wait 10K miles to go to a syn oil. I also do a few short changes off the bat. 1K, 3K, then the something close to the OEM interval until 10K.

You do want to wait until 1 full change interval at least. Like on my 07 the change interval in 5K, so the min # of miles on the truck should be 5K before swaping.

Never heard the diesel thing. I will run Amsoil TSO when I hit 10K next month or so.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:02 AM

Mobil1 is in the Corvettes, GMC and others right off the assembly line. No reason to run standard oil first but it's up to you. Either way will not hurt anything but I suggest you flush your engine before switching. Mike
Old 08-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

rebuilding a motor vs one that's brand new and manufactured on an assembly line are two completely different things.

Quick Reply: mobile 1 synthetic