Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mechanic Broke My Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so im in school today and i get a call from the mechanic, he says the injector is cracked, not a busted rail or a bad o-ring, but the injector itself. Then he procedes to tell me how he didnt use any manual labor to look at the injector (even though yesterday he told me it was visibly dirty). I ask him what we are going to do about this problem and he says $1100 plus the tow truck bill. THE TOW TRUCK BILL?! are you kidding me?! And when i ask him why its having this problem now and not when i brought it in, he accused me of Purposley sabotauging my only car to get him to replace an injector for free.

My dads lawyer is now involved and I cannot wait to put this guy out of bussines. Im only 17, so i cant take legal action myself, nor do i want to put someone who is trying to make an honest living out of bussiness, mistakes happen, but this guy changed his story so many times im not sure what he did or didnt do. And so it begins...
Old 03-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Im sorry but i got to say this. Sue that bastard!!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another crook mechanic talking BS and lying out both sides of his mouth.
Injectors don't crack. They are metal with a plastic electrical connection. It doesn't appear he is qualified to work on that motor. His own FU is being blamed on you....heard that before from the really low IQ type.

Your lawyer knows how to handle that idiot. I would settle for nothing less than the dealer fixing it and the mechanic paying the bill.

My $0.02
Old 03-20-2008, 04:37 PM

My roommate owns a mechanic shop and I work there on my days off from my FT job. It makes me mad to hear of mechanic like this. People like him make it harder for shops like ours and mechanic like us to work. It sucks when the customer is skeptical and doen't trust you. All of our customers are referred from other customers. We have never advertised and are a member of the BBB. One thing is sometimes the BBB can be unfair though. We had a lady come in with a CEL. She had a burnt spark wire. (166K miles on orig parts) Scan read that the EGR valve was bad. Advised the customer and she declined. Took off the EGR and cleaned it for free and told her we cleaned it but it may still trip a CEL and if it does she is going to need to go ahead and replace it. Few weeks later she calls and says CEL is back then asks for a refund for the plugs and wires. We refused advised her why again the light was for. She called the BBB. BBB came to us and said a fair resolution was for us to pay for half of the parts, labor, and tow for her to get the EGR valve replaced. Tow? it still runs fine. We declined, BBB finally sided with us and in a professional manner told her to go $%#& herself.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM

dont have time to read the whole thread but that sucks.

you need to find a technician not a mechanic.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 PM

dude, make sure that *whatever* that guy says about the injectors, he doesn't throw away anything...if he says an injector is cracked (???wtf), them have him show you the injector. If he says he tossed em, ask him why...sounds like the old "bait and switch" to me!

I'd tell him to stop all work, let him know that you're getting a lawer, and tow that thing outta there and find a better shop...then come back after him for what it cost you to have it fixed by someone else. Now that there's bad blood (he's saying you sabotaged your rig just to get it fixed?!?!) who knows what else he'll friggin do to your motor. Don't wanna get you paranoid, but the truth is there are many a**holes out there that are trying to make money, unfortunately in a dishonest way. Ahh life...school of hard knox. I've been there man, good luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 PM

I say you kill the guy.

That'd probably fix issues. Well, maybe not. But do it after he pays you. Yeah.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Well i just got home, i spent a good few hours with the mechanic face to face instead of over the phone, it changed his tone a bit.

I finally informed him that this was going to become a legal matter unless my car left the shop exactly as it entered, if not better.

So after another good hour of persuading, i finally left the shop with a brand new injector, and full engine scrub, no money out of my pocket. So i solved the cylinder2 misfire, and have my car back to running order. It may have taken a little longer than i wanted, but he ended up taking care of it in the end. He made a seemingly sincere effort to apologize for his accusations, so i think he realized his mistake and did what he needed to fix it. Im not going to reccomend this shop or return to it, but in the end it turned out alright.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NwRunner
Well i just got home, i spent a good few hours with the mechanic face to face instead of over the phone, it changed his tone a bit.

I finally informed him that this was going to become a legal matter unless my car left the shop exactly as it entered, if not better.

So after another good hour of persuading, i finally left the shop with a brand new injector, and full engine scrub, no money out of my pocket. So i solved the cylinder2 misfire, and have my car back to running order. It may have taken a little longer than i wanted, but he ended up taking care of it in the end. He made a seemingly sincere effort to apologize for his accusations, so i think he realized his mistake and did what he needed to fix it. Im not going to reccomend this shop or return to it, but in the end it turned out alright.
cool.... I think

at least it is fixed and didn't take much more work (weeks/months)
Depending on the shop, I have made sure to at least pay a fair share of parts/labor even if service wasn't completed as asked, but in my case it has always been "we didn't know how to do XXX" so we charged you just $8.00 for the part we took off" .... In your case, it doesn't sound like I would pay anything besides initial inspection cost/fee