Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???

Ok, so without a doubt I have the Manual Hub Conversion down to a science.

Off Road Solutions sells a kit with all BRAND NEW parts for a 4Runner for $1039. The thing about this is that there axle shafts and outter CV's are aftermarket. Stronger? Who knows. The hubs are Warn, which are OK, but the Aisin hubs are by far superior.

A kit I could put together would be all used genuine Toyota parts and Aisin hubs. It would include brand new Toyota bearings and 2 complete boot kits/axle shaft re-build kits.

ORS does not provide boots and the clams they send are instant trash can items.

So is 700 low enough? If not I really can't get it any lower.

I could offer to re-build the axles for you for a fee and some type of send your ADD spindle and I install the Manual Hub and ship it back. If you can install an ATS arm you can pull the sprindles. Your just not going to be able to press out the hub or have the impossible to get Toyota tool to remove the brass ring.

So................................................ ...........................
Old 04-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Another thing I could do is offer a kit WITHOUT the alxe shafts and you could buy Tacoma Manual Hub axles shafts at a local Car Quest, etc and "try" to turn in your ADD 4Runner axles as cores.

Just tosing out ideas here.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

"IF" they take your ADD alxes as cores on the Manual Tacoma axles you would be looking at 200 for 2 completely re-manufactured shafts.

You could buy the Taco axles and turn in your 4Runner ones a week later or something like that.

Just tosing out ideas.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting idea, I would probably be interested in this in a few months. Keep the updates posted here.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:25 AM

SURRRRRREEE!!!

Now you decide to explore this...

*grumbles about being out 1100 bux*
Old 04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Since "junk yard" parts will varry maybe it would be best to put a webpage togehter with your target, "junk" and the new Toyota Parts you will need. You get the goods and maybe I could offer some type of Toyota Tool/Press/Axle Rebuild solution.

????
Old 04-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Basically you send me all your junk and new parts and I maek it so you can bolt it on your truck in your garage.

The thing is that at this point, you'll be down durring the shipping off/return period.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

This would definately make it a more accessible mod. I know that I would seriously consider it.

The only questions I have about going the used/rebuilt path is the axle shafts. I know the ORS axle shafts are both thicker and longer. Are there any disadvantages to using the shorter Toyota axle shafts? Why does the ORS kit need longer ones?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

I'm up for this. Sometime in august though. No problems with the runner being down, I have a second car. keep us updated
Old 04-15-2004, 09:45 AM

And you plan on doing ALL these things by yourself? Soon you'll need to get an extra set of hands..........

And just when I said I was DONE with my truck.......

btw, what exactly are the benefits of the manual hub conversion? All I know is that you can turn them off so ur axles aren't spinning up front and therefore have a higher susp. lift? Do they serve as some type of front locker as well?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 00Runner
This would definately make it a more accessible mod. I know that I would seriously consider it.

The only questions I have about going the used/rebuilt path is the axle shafts. I know the ORS axle shafts are both thicker and longer. Are there any disadvantages to using the shorter Toyota axle shafts? Why does the ORS kit need longer ones?
Its the way the new axles and hub are... you need the older style that the spline of the axle goes through the assembly... hence why you need to replace everything from starting at your inner axle out....

The newer axle is just not right for a manual hub... Id take pics of what I mean since im confusing, but the kits in the garage at home...
Old 04-15-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Toyo_Runner96
And you plan on doing ALL these things by yourself? Soon you'll need to get an extra set of hands..........

And just when I said I was DONE with my truck.......

btw, what exactly are the benefits of the manual hub conversion? All I know is that you can turn them off so ur axles aren't spinning up front and therefore have a higher susp. lift? Do they serve as some type of front locker as well?
Here's my take on manual hubs...

1) your CV's arent turning all the time... which means less wear on the boots and the axles... expecially at high angles (any sort of lift)

2) Some say better gas mileage... I have doubts and I was close to not even listing this...

3) Say your out on a trail... you break a CV, you dont have manual hubs... you dont have a spare... your screwed... call the flat bed... If you have manual hubs, just make sure its not hanging (the broken part) and unlock and limp out in 2wd or have someone pull you out...

Now thats just what I heard on #3... Im willing to be proven wrong.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

I have always wanted the mauals on my rig...but at $1200+ I was going to wait untill my ADD gave out before I did it....but for $700 or so I would be getting it done a lot sooner.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Its the way the new axles and hub are... you need the older style that the spline of the axle goes through the assembly... hence why you need to replace everything from starting at your inner axle out....

The newer axle is just not right for a manual hub... Id take pics of what I mean since im confusing, but the kits in the garage at home...
I can picture what you mean about the splines on the outer shaft. Obviously you need this for the new locking hubs to lock onto the axle shaft. I was specifically refering to the center shafts that are longer with the ORS kit. As far as I'm aware there is no change in the splines on the ends of this shaft, they are just longer and thicker (stronger?) than stock. Just not sure what the advantage of this longer shaft is.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 00Runner

I drill the ORS guys on the Chinaman trail on this one. The shafts them selves are thicker, but Steve Hunt broke one durring our conversation. The ORS shafts have 2 factors, they are multi-splined so they mate the 4Runner innner tripod the the aftermarket outter. The reason they are longer is that the aftermarket CV is shorter, so an ORS axle and a stock axle are the same length when assembled.

Used parts that are in good conditon should be fine, remember these shafts have NEVER turned unless the driver locked the hubs, some of these truck may have never been shifted into 4WD and maybe have no use at all.

It's not like a used 3rd gen axle that has turned all it life reguardless of 4wd engagement.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

How about, you buy the junk yard Tacoma: Hubs, Spindles and Axle Shafts. Send me those and I will rebuild the axles and press out the ADD spindles in your castings and press in the Tacoma spindles.

Typically the Junk will run you: 400

I sell you Toyota parts: 2 bearings, 4 hub gaskets, 2 ball joint boots, 4 seals & 2 Tacoma axle boot kits.

Around 300, the seals can be re-used if they are in good shape but it's usally better to replace them. My original number was re-useing the seals

Plus labor. (150 to 200, I'm thinking)

So that way the better deal you get from the junker, the better off you are. I'll ship it back in your box and you pay shipping both ways.

Really if we can get the junk number down to like 200 or 250 this would be ideal.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

The seals are around 120 for 4. Pricey buggers.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Ok after eating lunch and thinking about it, I really am not looking to re-sell stuff, I want to make stuff.

So how about I tell you exacly what you need from the junk yard and exaclty what you need new from the dealer and if you have trouble installing it, you could send the stuff to me to get you past the hard part.

So......................................

You like?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Ok after eating lunch and thinking about it, I really am not looking to re-sell stuff, I want to make stuff.

So how about I tell you exacly what you need from the junk yard and exaclty what you need new from the dealer and if you have trouble installing it, you could send the stuff to me to get you past the hard part.

So......................................

You like?
Yes!
Old 04-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Away

Yeah Steve, good idea.

G

'sup Jayson?

Quick Reply: Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???