Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So does not having any.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:55 PM

toyo_runner96,

I think you are referring to the "Ding King".....from what I gather this is a cheap imitation of real tools that autobody shops use....the real stuff costing in upwards of $300....the "Ding King" about $30.

I saw a report on our news channel....one of those buyer beware segments that try and do product tests to show you what works and what's just a waste of money. They had the average joe try it and also an autobody repairman....the avg joe had some difficulty....but the repairman was actually surprised w/ the results he was able to get....they gave the product a so-so rating. They said that the instructions weren't the best, the glue gun didn't get hot enough, and that the "suction cups" didn't work on small dings.....Their best results were actually on dings starting from the size of a golf ball to the size of a grapefruit.

Okay Okay....so I decided to try it myself....as $30 isn't too much if you are able to get 1 dent out. I got mine at the local Fred Meyer in the "as seen on tv" section. I was trying to remove a shopping cart ding in front fender of my bro's Avalon. Things I noticed...the cups that were included didn't seem to fit the ding/crease in my bro's car....The glue that was included also didn't seem to be sticky enough. In the end, it didn't work for me.....however I'm pretty sure it would work on rounder dings....I could see it working on those as opposed to my crease....I'm gonna try dremeling one of the cups to a smaller size and giving it another try.

Anyway kinda long report on the "ding king"......hope it helps someone.

My ding story was that.....some reversed into my grille guard......and really dented their trunk....they were pissed enough to leave a note saying that it was unnecessary for me to have a grille guard.....My only thought was how unnecessary was it when it just saved me some dents in my bumper....I guess I'm lucky that the person didn't retaliate against my truck....but seriously there are ppl who suck at parallel parking and then there are ppl who suck at getting out of parallel parking spots......
Learn to drive or just be careful ppl

Last edited by RgrChu; 03-28-2003 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Its not so much that I mind dents and small stuff. Its the fact that people have no respect. Seriously, just be careful with your doors. That's all I ask. Rock chips, dents, and scratches are going to happen. But why should they happen as a direct result of careless people? These door-dingers are the same people that snort, burp, fart and cough really loud in public, you know, the ones that "just dont care." I like to call them slobs. Now if you door ding me, and its a genuine accident, then so be it. Stuff happens. I can let that go. But a flailing door by a rude inconsiderate jerk will make me mad.

I spend a lot of time and money on how my truck looks, so I take blatent careless actions personally.
I could not agree with you more.
I spend a lot of hard hours keeping my rig looking nice, and it shows.

But I get my share of pin stripping on the paint and the fender flares when I go wheeling, as I like to explore tight trails that are overgrown with brush.

But these wax out most of the time with the Porter Cable, and they also just scratch the surface as I keep a healthy dose of wax on the rig to protect it.

It is the blatant ignorant people that throw their doors all the way open and almost knock their own doors off the hinges that get my goat.

Yes, a vehicle to them is nothing more than an appliance.
They may wash it, and even wax it, but to them it is just a mode of transportation.
It will never be modded except for an air freshener, or a waste basket over the transmission hump.
These are the ones to avoid, and park waaaaaaaay away from.

Sometime if you are bored, stop by your local big grocery store and watch the ones who park up front so they don't have to walk very far.
You will see lots of doors getting thrown into other doors for sure.
Heck if you are really bored, you can bring along a friend and take bets as to who will throw their doors wide open or not

The riders who ride with the upstairs neighbor throw the door wide open, and it's only because they give me a wider berth now that my doors are not dented.

As was mentioned earlier, if there is going to be any cosmetic damage to my rig, I want to be the one who did it, not someone else who will not end up paying for it.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Just another reason to get sliderz if you ask me!
Old 03-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Here in Japan, parking, is, well unique.

The people that really piss me off, even if they don't leave a ding, are the ones that park within inches of you when you park a mile away and there is plenty of parking elsewhere.

They also have very basic geometry problems regarding the correct angle of approach to fit straight between the white parking lines.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahh, one of my favorite topics!

The moral of the story...getting your car damaged by someone else is really frustrating but be careful before you retaliate. Sometimes things aren't what they seem.
Very true. If you catch someone in the act, that's something else. One time about 3 months ago at a shopping mall, I was walking back to my vehicle and some In'Sync looking teeny boppers parked so close that the driver could barely get out. He kept hitting my xterra step tubes (thank God I spaced them out an inch--see my write up!) and so i walked up to him and said "Did it occur to you to try to repark your damn car?" He could see I was pissed so he did.

I park like that guy in that VW commercial----miles and miles away or on the top level of any parking structure. Or, I'll try to park on the street.

I've had my share of door dings, bumpers, etc. Its so damn frustrating b/c as someone said, some people have no respect for other people's property.

Well Chris, though this won't offer much solace to you, but I think we've all been there!

Bob
Old 03-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Bob, my parking spot at Safeway
Each time I take this one as it is at the very end, and no one parks by me.

That was taken last April about a month before I got my sliderz.

Man, I would have been pretty PO'd had I seen that guy keep hitting your nerfs.
That's when it's time to put one of your tires up on their hood.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

by my place, there's this place called DENT WIZARD. There's a LEXUS dealership where we're friends with the manager and they hire these guys to come and take care of the customer's dings. They're great, they worked on my runner a while back and u can't even tell there was ever a ding on it. I wouldn't know the price though cuz manager took care of it. well, yea i'm in college too and seeing all these ppl just pushing the door open without even looking, scares the heck outta me. So I park on the very end of a parking area where they have those zebra lines where no one's supposed to park and that gives me a whole lotta space and enough for the next guy to open his/her door as much as they want.
pat
Old 03-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Here in South Florida the valrt business is pretty big, it is everywhere you go. I worked valet for about 3 and a half years, and at very busy places. I have seen my share of damage from careless people. Door dings, chipped paint, water damage from sprinklers/rain, and everyhting in between. One guy pulled one of those Chevy conversion vans into a parking garage and severly damaged the roof. I've also seen valet managers fix hanging ground effects with duct tape and Duco Cement. All of this can be avoided if people are just a little more careful. That's what makes me mad, it seems that everytime I was my truck I find a new scratch. I almost got fired one time because I yelled at a lady who parked in one of my valet spots and then proceeded to fling her Escalade door open and ding a brand new SL 500. Of course the story she told the manager inside was a different one... Mr T. Pity's the fool who is careless.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Man i feel for all u guys and know exactly how you feel. Some people are so freaking inconsiderate and stupid with their cars. One particular experience of mine comes to mind. With my accord, i was waiting at a red light one day and the damn car in front of me reverses and rams right into me for no apparant reason then shifts back into drive and takes off! The car was a brand new benz too!! Luckily for me (and the driver) there was no damage as far as I could see. But yea, I live in the bay area too where there is little to no parking so you gotta park where you can. That leaves your ride wide open to careless aholes to ding up your car. Oh and I have a question for you guys since we are on the subject of inconsiderate people. You ever given rides to people and they pretty much disrespect your car?? I mean when someone gives me a ride, I try to take care and not swing their doors open or screw up their ˟˟˟˟ and expect the same when I help out by giving somebody else a ride. Yet some people think its ok cuz it aint their car or they just treat their stuff like ˟˟˟˟ so they do that to other peoples stuff too. Most people are cool and all but for some people I gotta remind them and stuff which makes me look so anal (which i am though when it comes to my car) Inconsiderate people just piss me off. haha this was a great thread to vent.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

Back when I had a Camry, I parked on a street to go to class. I remember the spacing worked out so that I had about 2 ft. maneuvering space in front and a lot behind. I dunno, maybe comfortable for another Camry or something.

A few hours later I walk out and find that some dumb oaf in an F-150 had parked in that space! I remember walking towards my car at an angle and thinking "DANG, that guy is REALLY close!"

I get to my car and his bumper is STILL compressing mine! I look at the car behind his and sure enough the bumper had the tell tale markings of the 150s rear.

I didn't do much, I just left a note for the other poor sucker and one for the jerk. I'm not too much into revenge. As rikwil61 said, you never know the whole story...

I dunno, maybe the guy went to the bank to pull out some cash to reimburse us
Old 03-29-2003, 05:37 AM

hehe

what about this one my mom has a 97 jaguar I guess someone wanted to hood elblem. SO they continued to twiste, turn and yank on it. Its bolted to the hood, should be welded. Anyway there was some major damage to the hood and they never even got the jaguar off the car. Morons.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:16 AM

I am sorry to hear that.That sucks
Old 03-29-2003, 10:46 AM

Repair methods

The dry ice is legit -- things contract in the cold, and with dry ice being in the ballpark of -109.3°F or -78.5°C, the metal contracts enough to spring back into shape. By chilllin' that one spot, only that area will contract. Like it was said, this works on small dings and on thinner areas.

Another new technique for doorside dings is something called paintless dent removal or something like that. what happens is that instead of taking your door off, pulling the panel and then going to work with the hammer and tongs, the repair person drills two or three 1/4" holes on the side of your door -- the part where the door latch is -- and inserts the rod-like tools to slowly rub the dent out from the inside. the drilled holes are cosmetically covered with rubber plugs when the process is complete.

As for that suction cup puller - it's bull˟˟˟˟. It will pop out a watermelon sized dent in your door, but don't think that it'll be anywhere close to being smooth. Take a look at the commercials: even after they pull a big dent, the body is still wavy. Auto body stores use stuff like this, but they bondo over the area and reshape it before a respray.

I empathize for all of the people with a parking horror story. the best preserved vehicles I've seen are old 4x4 toyotas -- like '86 and older models that are lifted!
You cant ding what you can't touch... Bring your rig up 4-6" and the only thing that will get hit by their doors is your Nerf Bars/running board/sliders.

If all hell breaks loose, I'm gonna raise up high enough to give minivans roof dings.