Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just found a 90 SR5 4 runner and I need some opinions...thanx!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF?? how did i make "pass this one up" into "SAPP this one up"?? god i need sleep...

g'night yall!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Figit090
i'm beginning to think i like trucks better now...cause the newer i go the less i like the runner...especially when they threw the tire under the chassis in 95 didn't they?? wouldn't that raise the floorboards and reduse clearance?
I think the spare was moved underneath in '92...Someone will correct me if it's wrong. As for the floorboard being raised...Nope. Not as far as I can tell. They just tucked the spare up between the frame rails as they do in the pickup.

Pickup vs. 4Runner...

Lock more gear safely out of the weather.
Haul a few friends more safely.
Other than that, it's personal preference.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:13 AM

Talk to your dad and see if he will let you get it you can get it for $2500.

As for the insurance cost, I have heard that if you have wild graphics that would be expensive to replace that they can charge a little more because of that.

Flamed4x4- any experiance with that?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:40 AM

Definitely. Get risky w/buying. Unless your dad doesn't like this car because of the car and not the cost, try and convince him to make a crazy offer. You're ready to pass it up anyways so it might be good to just throw him a line just in case. What I did with my truck, the 1st truck I found that was my exact specifications (brush guard, white, power everything, 5-sp, V6, 4WD, sunroof, tan interior) which was almost the first truck I looked at, I called the owner up. She told me the price was 6000 and that I could go and pick it up that weekend. (It was in New Jersey, like three hours away). I told her that I'd be up there the next day to take it off her hands if she sold it to me for 4900. She said, "NO, thats not a fair price, blah blah blah, my son's trying to get a new car, I need the cash, blah blah blah, and thats not a fair price for a 4Runner. I would know, thats definitely not fair at all. I'll tell my son but I doubt it." And she stopped emailing me for a week. I told her thanks for the cooperation, for letting me have a mechanic look at it and all and said my goodbyes. Then, a week and a half later I get an email with this exactly, "My son's lowered the price to 5000. Take it or leave it." I was up there the nezt day picking up my baby and she hasn't failed me ever since. Go crazy when you know that you have options cause usually the sellers don't. Its a buyers market right now and unless he advertises nationwide or statewide, noones gonna find that car for a good bit of time I'd say.

But if that fails, look for trucks on Autotrader.com. Thats where I found mine, I'd recommend that site to anyone just because you can choose (under Advanced) to search for 5 spds, V6, 4WD, etc as opposed to most sites with limited options.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:06 AM

allrighty!! i am just a bit weary about the valge job, but that is a question i could ask. if it's the same guy, he's a salesman, and he'd be dumb to not have a good presentation...i mean heck, the guy found ME!!! and my dad....the same day...and didn't know either of us to be connected.

But my dad says we're not quite in the market right now, and i've asked him about a lot of cars. If i don't do it the right time he'd probably just get pissed and tell me to drop it until further notice :O. I was originally looking for 89 or older, but under 3k for one dosen't seem bad, the ride will be better and quieter, more weatherproof, and now that i think of it i would be a bit too lazy to remove a top all the time... so this seems like a great first truck and i can always sell it, which would work better for me, as i'm in a more populated area, he lives about 50 miles from me, and in a little "town" where not many would think to look at 4runners IMO...

I'll give it a try, i'll ask my dad if we could afford to make a 2500 dollar purchase, cause i'm sure that it would be possible, with rear end sag, maybe the rear window is failing, and the joint popping.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:56 PM

Well thanx a lot for all of your help everyone, this thread will come in handy for a long time and i greatly appriciate all the help from all of you.

Sadly, the truck has been soled to someone OTHER than me. This came as a big dissapointment to me because my dad actually made the call without me asking, wich i find is way cool cause he first said no. but then he found the ad by the computer i guess and called them, only to realize it was too late .

we were going to the town because i was going to stay at a cabin with my girlfriend for a while and i needed to do some driving, and it would ahve been a cool edition to my vacation but oh well.

now theres one for 3200 in the paper with a blown head gasket. should i investigate that one??? or just wait for somthin else. i think it's a 1993...and i don't know much about the recalls yet, or what would be free to fix.