Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installing a CB and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem installing my CB in my '98 Tacoma. Even with the 90 degree fitting, it was sticking out too far. So, I ended up having to pull the case apart, and relocate the antenna jack to the bottom of the CB. It was easy to do. It was just a matter of snipping the solder connection to the back of the antenna jack, unthreading the jack fitting (it comes apart in 2 pieces similar to a toggle or rocker switch), then I drilled a new hole for it in the bottom of the case, re-installed the fitting, and then used a short jumper wire with some solder to reconnect it. It worked like a charm (although I probably voided my warranty ).

Regarding trimming the face plate, I found a dremel tool and some fine sand paper to be very effective for this.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BajaTaco
I had a similar problem installing my CB in my '98 Tacoma. Even with the 90 degree fitting, it was sticking out too far. So, I ended up having to pull the case apart, and relocate the antenna jack to the bottom of the CB. It was easy to do. It was just a matter of snipping the solder connection to the back of the antenna jack, unthreading the jack fitting (it comes apart in 2 pieces similar to a toggle or rocker switch), then I drilled a new hole for it in the bottom of the case, re-installed the fitting, and then used a short jumper wire with some solder to reconnect it. It worked like a charm (although I probably voided my warranty ).

Regarding trimming the face plate, I found a dremel tool and some fine sand paper to be very effective for this.
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. What kinda wire did you use? Kinda scary to be drilling and cutting like that. I'll pull it appart thursday and see what it look like. Like the idea though.

I need a dremel. I keep on hearing about things I could use one for.

Thanks all,
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

One more thing...

I forgot to mention something...

since you are "hard mounting" your CB into the dash, I would recommend installing a 3' jumper coax into the back of your CB. This will then be connected to your antenna coax (which will need to be shortened by 3' to compensate for the jumper cable) via an RG-58 male x male coupler. If you do this, you can easily disconnect the antenna cable at the coupler, and hook a SWR meter up to the CB without having to take your dash apart.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Re: One more thing...

Originally posted by BajaTaco
I forgot to mention something...

since you are "hard mounting" your CB into the dash, I would recommend installing a 3' jumper coax into the back of your CB. This will then be connected to your antenna coax (which will need to be shortened by 3' to compensate for the jumper cable) via an RG-58 male x male coupler. If you do this, you can easily disconnect the antenna cable at the coupler, and hook a SWR meter up to the CB without having to take your dash apart.
That's a geat idea. Didn't even think about how to hook the SWR up to it. I'm just curious, but why would I need to cut the coax shorter? Does it do something with the signal if it's too long? Instead of buying a 3' coax, could I just cut the one I have and put a couple of connectors on it? Is this easy to do?

Thanks again. Have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DH6twinotter
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. What kinda wire did you use? Kinda scary to be drilling and cutting like that. I'll pull it appart thursday and see what it look like. Like the idea though.

I need a dremel. I keep on hearing about things I could use one for.

Thanks all,
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Hang on... I'll get a coupla pics for ya. I just used a piece of scrap wire, probably 18 gauge copper.

Just ask around, I'm sure you have a neighbor or someone you know at work that would be willing to help you trim your dash with a dremel, or lend you the tool for a day - they are pretty common. That way you can put off buying one for awhile, and spend the money on more mods
Old 03-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

OK, here we go...

Here is a pic of the opening on the back of the chassis with the jack removed. The red arrow points to the tip of the solder wire that was connected to the back of the jack (I snipped it).

http://www.bajataco.com/temporary/CB01.jpg

Here is a pic of the jack relocated to the bottom of the case. The red arrow points to the jack, and the green arrow points to the old opening.

http://www.bajataco.com/temporary/CB02.jpg

The jack installed in the bottom of the case (The CB is turned upside down)

http://www.bajataco.com/temporary/CB04.jpg

As far as the 3' jumper wire - yes, you can cut your existing coax cable to make it into 2 pieces if you already have the cable. If not, you can purchase the 3' RG-58 jumper as a ready-made item with the ends already on it to save you some time. If/when you cut the coax cable, you need to process the ends with an RG-58 connector. There are a few different kinds - some require solder, some don't. You can see how to process them here:

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Coax_Procg.htm

If you don't want to process them, alot of shops that sell the coax will do it for you, sometimes for a fee. It's really easy to do though.

The reason for the proper length coax is described here (scroll down the page to the section titled "About the length"):

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/coaxtalk.htm

There is also some good info regarding antennas in this thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=4188

I hope this helps
Old 03-12-2003, 08:02 AM

Dont know if this will help because I like things very simple. My CB is a uniden that is too large to mount anywhere except under the glove box. I didnt like that so I just stick it between the drivers seat and the consol. I put a cigarette lighter plug onto the the power cord and just plug it into the lighter. No wiring to fool with and no worries about draining power if I forget to turn it off. I solved the antenna problem by using a 5.5 inch magnet with a Firestik. When I leave the vehicle I just pull off the antenna and stick it inside. If I happen to be in a high theft area, I leave the whole works at home.
I have heard from a friend that any easy way to get through the grommet is by using a brazing rod. He sharpened the end then let the coarse material on the rod enlarge the opening.