Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm new to the board and thought I'd say hey!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 12:24 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to the board and thought I'd say hey!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hi.
The Board looks good. I've been doing a little reading for a little while now, and thought I'd finally register.

I not really new to the 4runners, but I never really did anything much to the ones I've owned. I just bought a nice 95 SR5, and had some questions for you guys.
1st I've decided to buy some Downey Coils for the sag issue, but I was wondering about the spacers. Are these going to cause any troubles that I don't want. I could find any negative feed back from the spacers but I just thought I'd ask.
2nd Where the hect can I buy them. I couldn't find any on the 4wheel parts site, and I can't find any local shops that have them in stock. Are you guys ordering Them from somewhere.
3rd and probably last...how much height can I get from the stock torsion bars. Two inches I'm guessing. My plan is to raise the ride height about 3 inches. I figure with the coils and spacers, plus cranking the torsion bars I can obtain this. I read where people have purchased something for the torsion bars but didn't understand what. Clarification would be much appreciated. I hope to start spending more time here. BTW you guys have some nice rides.
A little about me....This is my third 4runner. I started with a Black 95 and some punk kid thought he'd run a red light and slammed into me doing about 60 mph. My back still hurts from that. Then I moved to a 96 Black SR5 with everything but the limited flares and the power seats. I sold that because the wife said the ride was too rough. I thought the same it was much worse than our 95. Now I have another 95 SR5 Green with tan. It's really clean and rides pretty good if you ask me. It's a little slower than what I'm use to, but I'll manage. Take car guys!
Jeremy
Old 10-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the board Jeremy.
Spacers for the rear Downey or other aftermarket coils are really only if you are going to put 33" or larger tires back there.

I just have the Downey HD coils back there running 31s, and you can see from some of my pics that there is plenty of room to put a 32, or possibly a 33" tire back there.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/8302/61024.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/8302/221024.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/91402/241024.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.net/pics&vids..._2002/bos3.jpg

You can get the Downey coils direct from Downey. I have not added them yet to our vendor section, but I have the tele # and URL on my homepage under the links section in the table of contents.

You can also order them through Central 4WD which is listed in our vendor section here.

You can get a few inches from your stock T bars.
The higher you go, the less down travel you will have, and it will ride a little rough, but very livable.
Do you have the ADD hubs, or manuals installed?
With ADD, you don't want to crank more than 14 to 14.5" from the top of your wheel lip to the bottom of your fender well.
Any more and it puts undue stress on the CV boots & joints.

With manual hubs you can get away with 15" which is what I'm running now, and my CVs also have a very good angle to them and are not stressed.
I also am running aftermarket SAW 25mm T bars though.
They are on to handle the weight of the ARB bumper & winch.

Get some low profile bumpstops from
Energy Suspension and you will gain some down & up travel from your A arms.

There are 3 per side.

I know the feeling about having a Toy ruined.
That is how I ended up getting my 4Runner a month later.

Let us know what you end up getting for your rig.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:07 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

Hey Corey,

Thanks!!!

Your 4runner looks really good. I love the flares! Shoot I love just about everything you've done to it. I told myself I was going to sink a bunch of money into it but I'm getting that bug...ya know.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Old 10-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Jeremy, welcome to the board!

Shoot me an email if you are still interested in the Downey rear shocks, I can get them for you. If I remember correctly though, they were backordered a little while. I run the Downeys as well on my runner. Anyhow, once again, welcome to the board!

Old 10-04-2002, 01:44 PM

Welcome I think that they covered all of your questions, but I just wanted to say hi and welcome. You will enjoy yourself here. Have fun! :fireman:
Old 10-04-2002, 04:05 PM

Hey I also just wanted to welcome you to the board, if you have a question about anything, there's someone here that can help you with it

When I bought my Downey HD 1.5" Rear Coils (I lucked out and my local Toyota Dealer had them) I was debating whether or not to get the rear spacers. I finally decided to just get the coils, because I wouldn't be getting new tires for a while anyway, so I'm probably going to get the spacers just before I get new tires, and hopefully also have manual hubs installed before then, so I can crank my SAW Torsion Bars a bit further so everything evens out.

-Braden
Old 10-04-2002, 06:04 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
I think I might skip the spacers for now as well.
The guy I bought it from just put a new set of 31's on it.
So unless that bug gets to me early I'll just wait it out.
Xtreme I'll definitely check your site out when I get ready go get some. I'm going to take some shot's of it tomorrow. I'm going to give it a little tune up, and wash and wax.
Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be buggin you guys alot.

Jeremy
Old 10-04-2002, 07:18 PM

welcome - even though i am sort of new here myself.

i'd stay away from the spacers if i were you, unless you really need them. they are okay, but i don't really like them, im not going to use them when i lift my truck, unless everything else is too $$$. i've heard they are dangerous, and i kind of agree. go with the downeys - almost everyone here has those and they seem to be good.

i also know about trucks being crashed - mine's in the shop right now. except i am the punk kid, and i hit a tree:pat:

where to get downeys? like corey mentioned, look on the vendor site. if you want something you can find it on one of those sites.

wel, take her easy.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:28 PM

Welcome and Enjoy the board!