Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

If you want a good laugh read this !

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a good laugh read this !

Ok so I also own a 96 explorer (the wifes), anyway I was on a explorer board and came accross a post that made me laugh....

1st time and Couldn't Hang
So I'm 24 and went camping. (1st time for me) WAS A BLAST. But here is what sux! I went up by Eagle Lake in California. We stayed at an awesome campsite that you had to 4x in to. But, my stock 92 2dr sprt couldn't make it in. Most off the stuff I saw were Jeeps and Toyotas.

My buddy had to shuttle me and my g/f in with all our stuff. That sux! He has an 89 4runner. He made it but has big tires and I don't know about his suspension. We had to go through a river bout 1-3 ft deep. Water was everywhere. Another friend made it in his 95+ 4runner that is stock.

So here it is I have a 92 2dr w/ 4wd and need to get what my friend called "more clearance." I'd rather not dump a ton into my car as it is just coming up on 100K mi and it is starting to leak and generally show it's age but what can one do?.........

I gave him an answer that will probably get me kicked off of that board.....
I told him to sell his EX while he could still get something for it, take that money and the money he would spend on mods and buy a 4-runner like his buddies and have a vehicle that won't show its age ever (if your nice to her)

just wanted to share
Old 05-27-2003, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell him to come to this board!
Old 05-27-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Vato Loco
Tell him to come to this board!
Couldn't agree more!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:03 PM

My neighbor was just talking about how he might need a rebuild on his "high mileage" '95 Explorer....92k miles...haha, like that's high mileage....he already had a trans rebuild, as well as replacing basically the whole rear suspension after he snagged a TINY little stump...and when he had that done he found out his truck had previously been involved in an accident and had frame damage! He paid 8k for it like 3 years ago, with undisclosed frame damage and in need of a trans rebuild....he still claims it is a "better vee-hickle" (I swear to god that's how he says it) than ANY Toyota....
Old 05-27-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
My neighbor was just talking about how he might need a rebuild on his "high mileage" '95 Explorer....92k miles...haha, like that's high mileage....he already had a trans rebuild, as well as replacing basically the whole rear suspension after he snagged a TINY little stump...and when he had that done he found out his truck had previously been involved in an accident and had frame damage! He paid 8k for it like 3 years ago, with undisclosed frame damage and in need of a trans rebuild....he still claims it is a "better vee-hickle" (I swear to god that's how he says it) than ANY Toyota....
I swear exploder people are in loser denial. I was actually banned on explorer forum, only place I have ever had that happen. The reason I signed up was to see a thread that my buddy sent me about some dude's booty fab SAS which I turned around and posted the pics on pirate because they were some kinda scarey and worth a laugh or 20.

Well anyone that knows the dude that runs that forum (Rick Horwitz I think is his name) probably knows that he is pretty much a total tool, not to mention a huge prick. He already didn't much care for me because I was responsible for one of his beloved members getting put through the ringer on pirate because of his very unsafe booty fab SAS. Making matters worse, the dude whose truck is was came over to defend himself and Rick was defending him too even though the work was beyond defense, I mean it was scarey. Rick jumps on me on pirate and I tell him he is a moron for standing up for this guy and a prick for bashing me when he should be whoopin his own member's ass for posting those retarded pics on his site.

While I was on the board I saw a post entitled something like "explorer vs. 4runner" and gave it a read. The guy that posted it said that everyone, even the people on that board seemed to like the 4Runner, and he posed the question "Why aren't we all driving 4Runners?"

Well after that 4Runner bashing ensued, but the only thing they could come up with was that the 4Runner was more expensive, seriously, that was it. Well I posted what I knew on the subject, straight facts, nothing else and everyone seemed to jump on me. Not once did I get pissy, I just posted more facts and experiences. Basically about the 4Runner being more reliable, having a much higher resale, blah blah blah. I know many people that own Ex's and ALL of them have had TONS of problems (including my mom who traded her 98 Ex in on a 2001 4runner). So I posted about that. We have owned 3 4Runners and never had one give us any problems.

Well i ended up getting banned. According to Rick he had sent me a message (that I never got) telling me to stop "bashing" explorers. I think it is funny that they can't take the truth over there. I think the funniest part was that pior to my getting banned I had said that I wasn't trying to start anything and that I felt like I had said my peace and I was out and for them to take it easy. Maybe Rick isn't much for intelligent debate...

Last edited by 44Runner; 05-27-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

188K on my 95 4Runner.
No rebuild.
Still gets out, gets muddy, gets dusty, drags it' s bumper hitch, but ALWAYS gets me back. And that's with open diffs, 31" tires, no lift, no replacement rear coils, nada.

I owe my wife a BIG thanks for making me test drive a Corolla 14 years ago, and a 4Runner 5 years ago.

Now I can't even imagine owning any other make.

Let them love Explorers. It keeps them on the pavement.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

People always seem surprised when they ask questions like "but replacing all that stuff, you know, maintenence all the time after 80k miles is *normal* for a car right?" and I say, "no". They always ask how many times my "high mileage vehicle" goes into the shop (85k and counting). Never. If it needs anything I do it myself, and have yet to see a thing break on it. I had a 90 Camry for a few years too and ran it up to 140k, with nothing more than a tuneup. I sold it and the guy who bought it even commented on how well it ran.

People just don't get it... It's not a good thing to replace an engine at 90k. It's not good to have everything fluid-related start leaking like a sieve at 90k. It's just not right! Sure a 'yota is more expensive up front, but you know with the thousands in repair bills I'm saving, this thing is costing me a lot less than an Exploder or Cherokee POS. Even my Pathfinder, which are supposed to be reliable, was crap. I averaged out my payments of $360 with the repairs I had to keep doing, and it was over $500/mo WITH an extended warranty!

Why do I drive a 4runner? Because I don't like wondering what that fluid is dripping all over my driveway, and I don't like wondering if it will get me home. Because they're nice vehicles to boot, and don't suffer from the multitude of other problems that damn near every other manufacturer seems plagued with. Hell at 85k this thing still looks and runs like new with nothing more than periodic maintenence on my part (I bought it at 60k)... That just says something forum bashing can't overcome!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

well guys, i know people that work at FORD, and one of my real good friends ( ex-racing buddy), worked there for about 3 years before he broke down and bought a F-150, he said that was the worst thing he ever did, what a waste of money, he owned it for about 9 months, he had possesion of it for about only 3 months, the other 6 months it was in the shop, needles to say he made FORD buy it back and kept driving his nissan, FORD people just dont understand the facts...
Old 05-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

me and my taco have run shuttle for guys and their g/f's on numerous occations!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

The Explorer that I traded in for the 4Runner was pretty much on it's last leg at 120k. I never really had any major problems with it, just a battery and belt. Oh, and free tires. I put 70k on it in just about 3 years, but I guess I was lucky. Some people I know have one problem after another with those things, repair history a mile long. I took a 97 4Runner with 81k over a 99 Explorer with half that mileage last July. I made the right decision. The only Ford worth a ˟˟˟˟˟, in my opinion, is the Super Duty. Those things are tight.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:15 PM

100K miles and leaking what is that try so if people are toyotas then fords are dogs so one ford year is 7 toyota years. Oh i always knew explorers sucked
Old 05-27-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by 44Runner
I swear exploder people are in loser denial. I was actually banned on explorer forum, only place I have ever had that happen. The reason I signed up was to see a thread that my buddy sent me about some dude's booty fab SAS which I turned around and posted the pics on pirate because they were some kinda scarey and worth a laugh or 20.

Well anyone that knows the dude that runs that forum (Rick Horwitz I think is his name) probably knows that he is pretty much a total tool, not to mention a huge prick. He already didn't much care for me because I was responsible for one of his beloved members getting put through the ringer on pirate because of his very unsafe booty fab SAS. Making matters worse, the dude whose truck is was came over to defend himself and Rick was defending him too even though the work was beyond defense, I mean it was scarey. Rick jumps on me on pirate and I tell him he is a moron for standing up for this guy and a prick for bashing me when he should be whoopin his own member's ass for posting those retarded pics on his site.

While I was on the board I saw a post entitled something like "explorer vs. 4runner" and gave it a read. The guy that posted it said that everyone, even the people on that board seemed to like the 4Runner, and he posed the question "Why aren't we all driving 4Runners?"

Well after that 4Runner bashing ensued, but the only thing they could come up with was that the 4Runner was more expensive, seriously, that was it. Well I posted what I knew on the subject, straight facts, nothing else and everyone seemed to jump on me. Not once did I get pissy, I just posted more facts and experiences. Basically about the 4Runner being more reliable, having a much higher resale, blah blah blah. I know many people that own Ex's and ALL of them have had TONS of problems (including my mom who traded her 98 Ex in on a 2001 4runner). So I posted about that. We have owned 3 4Runners and never had one give us any problems.

Well i ended up getting banned. According to Rick he had sent me a message (that I never got) telling me to stop "bashing" explorers. I think it is funny that they can't take the truth over there. I think the funniest part was that pior to my getting banned I had said that I wasn't trying to start anything and that I felt like I had said my peace and I was out and for them to take it easy. Maybe Rick isn't much for intelligent debate...

Do you know where these explore pics are now? or what the name of the site is, maybe I can get banned, getting banned is cool.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the only good suv that ford ever made were the big and classic broncos. i the 300 I6 and 302 V8 were good engines, but still wouldn't compare to a toyota

i just wish you could buy an older toyota(pre 86) with a v6 in it. now that would be sweet

Last edited by kyle_22r; 05-27-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:29 AM

Ok, I really didn't want this to turn into a bash session. Especially since I sit on both sides of the fence, being a Toy truck & a Explorer owner. God's honest truth my explorer has not had one problem outside of routine maintenance (fluids, brakes, tires-not the firestone debacle I had gdyrs) and I have 130k on a 96 x. Maybe I got lucky and in my defence I did look at all of the suv types before I bought the explorer, including a Runner. But at the time the explorer was larger inside than any of the other simmilar sized suvs. So that is why I own one it has been good to me and that is why we all keep vehicles.
Just my $.02
Old 05-28-2003, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

This is good stuff. It would make my trip to get to haul in someone in a 4 wheel drive SUV because they couldn't make it..haha
Old 05-28-2003, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
You're missing a VERY important point here.... that IS a HIGH MILEAGE Explorer!!!!
My inlaws have a 97 Explorer. What a P.O.S.!!! They give em away here.... no one wants them.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by PirateFins
Ok, I really didn't want this to turn into a bash session. Especially since I sit on both sides of the fence, being a Toy truck & a Explorer owner. God's honest truth my explorer has not had one problem outside of routine maintenance (fluids, brakes, tires-not the firestone debacle I had gdyrs) and I have 130k on a 96 x. Maybe I got lucky and in my defence I did look at all of the suv types before I bought the explorer, including a Runner. But at the time the explorer was larger inside than any of the other simmilar sized suvs. So that is why I own one it has been good to me and that is why we all keep vehicles.
Just my $.02
Consider yourself VERY lucky. Go to Vegas...
Old 05-28-2003, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

They are roomy inside, that's just about the only thing I miss about mine. That, and the V8.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

I have to admit, I looked at explorers before getting my 4-runner- part of that was guilt at even considering buying a foreign vehicle (I was the first in my family not to buy american). After owning my 4-runner for a year, the whole being faithful to American brands doesn't make sense to me anymore. I recently took a trip to Michigan, and you should have heard the debates going on about Ford versus Chevy! I just sat there quietly, knowing that my 'runner will still be kicking a** long after their vehicles are driving in crap vehicle heaven! I take a walk through my parking lot and almost every explorer parking space has huge oil puddles underneath- the only fluids in my spot are the ones that leaked off the skid plate after changing my oil!
Old 05-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ChitRod
100K miles and leaking what is that try so if people are toyotas then fords are dogs so one ford year is 7 toyota years. Oh i always knew explorers sucked
Um. ... k.

in english this time?

ok wait I just figured out what you were talking about. heh.

Quick Reply: If you want a good laugh read this !