Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I Painted the Factory Alloys today!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Painted the Factory Alloys today!!

ok well thanks to Christian and all the others. I went out today and got the tires rotated and balanced, and then drove over to Advanced auto and picked up some paint, and got started this evening.

Tip #1: While I was doing the first tire, I didn't realize the garage door wasn't open. So now I'm high, and I can't get my right eye to stop twitching.

Tip #2: Masking tape, scotch tape, electrical tape. None of these three will stick to the rubber on your tires. Duct tape will, but barely. So someone needs to come up with a better tape.

Tip #3: Make sure when your masking off the tire, that you don't forgot to cover the valve stem as well. So now I have a light green colored valve stem.

Ok on to the install. I removed the first tire, and took the acetone to it. then got some sand paper and pretty much just scratched up some brand new rims. Then again with the acetone.

Then I taped off the tire surrounding the rim and then taped newspaper to the rest of the tire. Then I got some self-etching primer and gave it a good coat.

Pulled off the other rim, and did the same. Then went back and put another coat of primer on the first one. and now I will go back and do the second one.

Tomorrow morning before going to work I'll put the first coat of black on and leave it out on the deck to bake in the sun. Then come home for lunch and do a second coat. and then the enamel in the evening. Then start the other side.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:15 PM

Old 04-19-2004, 08:15 PM

Try "gaffers tape" it should stick.

also you think about the s/c?
Old 04-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

coming tomorrow. I just went out and checked it .. it looks really good
Old 04-19-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean some of that "Armor All" off of your tires first..

Use Whitney's Whitewall Cleaner - strips 'em but good...
Old 04-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Clean some of that "Armor All" off of your tires first..

Use Whitney's Whitewall Cleaner - strips 'em but good...

I did. I scrubbed them tires down .. but there is so many layers of that stuff on there it isn't coming off. Good idea on that whitewall stuff, I think I still have some sitting around, I'll use that tomorrow for the other side.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sd:

Doc, you should know better than that! you need a respirator and possibly some goggles too.

I put a little page together with recommendations on what to buy in terms of respirator equipment: http://4runners.org/articles/3m/index.html

Bob
Old 04-20-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

your right Bob I should have wore something. and that package has some good things in it. It was just in my zeal to get this done, I forgot. I don't think the respirator would have been necessary for this. Since there is no chrome, but a simple face mask and some nice lab goggles would have been good though.

That twitch in my eye still hasn't completely gone away. There was something in that etching primer.

UPDATE: I put the black on at 5 this morning. Oh it looks so sweet. I'm so glad I didn't buy steel wheels now. It was actually a pretty funny scene. I'm sitting in the driveway wearing a shirt and tie spray painting my wheels. I'll have pics up this afternoon when I get home for lunch.

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-20-2004 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Cleaning Tires

AJAX - cheaper and works better IMO than the Whitney's Tire White stuff and doesn't make you about pass out (or your eye twitch) from the fumes. AJAX will strip off ALL the junk off the rubber. I use Griot's Wheel Cleaner on the rims as a little dab (spray) does the trick.

Don't diss da steelies until ya tried some!

So now you'll have nice and shiny paint on your rims and the rest of your rig looks like two cats tap danced on it and you didn't want to paint your license plate frame because it would look too new? What gives?

All this indecision makes you sound like a woman

Old 04-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

I forgot to mention. That I used a different paint then Christian did. I got the black paint that has the ceramic finish. So it gives it a more powder coated look, rather then painted.

I have this incredible urge to go spray paint buildings now
Old 04-20-2004, 05:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sd, et al:

the respirator *is* necessary for painting or anytime you use chemicals. a simple face mask is only good for blocking particles, not fumes.

when i was painting my sliders, i used primer, paint, and acetone. for example when I finished a coat and needed to scratch my nose (ok, i picked it once), the fumes were pretty thick. the difference is night and day. and if you guys dabble in fiberglass, definitely use one. the resin fumes are pretty stanky and the fiberglass dust/particles is harmful to your lungs.

once you use a respirator, you'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner (yes, this is one of my glowing recommendations).

bob
Old 04-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Next time will do. They have them sitting at the firehouse. (The ones the toxic chemical team uses to train on.)
Old 04-20-2004, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Ahah!

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I forgot to mention. That I used a different paint then Christian did. I got the black paint that has the ceramic finish. So it gives it a more powder coated look, rather then painted.

I have this incredible urge to go spray paint buildings now
Oh, that makes a difference...

You just keep your itchy spray paint can using trigger finger away from my rig at Tellico...or I'll help your other eye have a twitch

So where are those ?????

Spray paint buildings...

Old 04-20-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

I cant wait to see the rims. We will start a fund for your (and Brian's) future "black lung" treatment.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=waskillywabbit]Oh, that makes a difference...

You just keep your itchy spray paint can using trigger finger away from my rig at Tellico...or I'll help your other eye have a twitch

So where are those ?????

QUOTE]

pics in a few hours once I finish up some paperwork. If I can ever get off of yotatech.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I cant wait to see the rims. We will start a fund for your (and Brian's) future "black lung" treatment.
no black lungs .. well just have very large calcified granulomas on our lungs. But you guys can start making donations now, well put them to good use.

But Bob is definitely right, I should have used a mask. I'll at least take home one of the simple masks before I start the other side today.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Who am I to talk? All I did was hold my breath while spraying, then make a mad dash around the house (upwind) to take in a deep breath. Never really injested anything that I am aware of.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:28 AM

wow, this is making me wanna paint mine too.......this sucks!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toyo_Runner96
wow, this is making me wanna paint mine too.......this sucks!!!
You better paint them! Because when you come back this summer and we go wheeling I am going to bug you until you do it.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

wwwoooohhhooo I had my mom send me a picture ... hold on let me see if I can get it up

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-20-2004 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: I Painted the Factory Alloys today!!