Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I need EMERGENCY help with my 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL! Yup, mine's going to run like it has a brand new engine, too!!

Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor a spare vehicle available so that I can swap the engine myself. Not that I wouldn't love to do it. It would be great to really get my hands into my truck. But not this time. Maybe once I buy a new ride and can just "learn" on my 4Runner.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:29 PM

Thumbs up a suggestion here for parts

i've read the whole thread, however, i've seen no mention of "www.engnbldr.com" for parts.
i happen to know that they've got a "master engine kit" for $358.00 + $22 s&h
that includes pistons, rings, a full bearing kit, oil pump a full gasket kit & timing belt by year of application...! that's everything that you'll be needing, stump, & all for under $4oo.oo!!!
dude, you could do this yourself, at home, without removing the engine (as it is all bottom end damage) & get yourself in on the ins of your engine & probally a huge self esteem boost from knowing that you did it yourself & at a fraction of the costs quoted to you...talk about a brag!!...i'd be happy to help you through it if you want to.
believe me, it's not as dauntiong as everyone makes it seem, remember, the stealerships & such are in it for the money, so the more unfeasible/impossible that they can make a job look or sound, the better it is for them.
let me know what you want to do, now that you have all of your options in front of you.
frankenrunner
Old 03-29-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stump,

I just read this thread and wanted to say this really sucks. Sometimes I wise there was a way to make companies pay for putting such stupid and useless products on the market.

I helped a friend rebuild a 22r-e motor and it was not really that hard. My point is if you don’t have the cash to pay someone to do the work I think with time and patience you could probably do the work yourself. Renting a car for a couple of weeks would be more cost affective than paying someone to do the work and with you doing it you’d know it was done right.

I hope it all works out.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stump
About halfway home, the engine started knocking something fierce. I mean a LOUD, LOUD knock. I made it home and parked it for the night. I got up this morning and checked all the work I did. I can't find anything wrong. But now the knock is so loud, you can barely talk to another person while standing next to the truck. Everything else is fine. Oil pressure, engine temp, I haven't lost any fluids. Nothing.

.)

sounds like a spun rod bearing

edit: I guess I should have read the thread before responding...

I bought a motor on ebay a few months back becuase mine sounded exacly the same, I did mine in by lugging it up a hill @55 is, with probably low oil

Last edited by Eric; 03-29-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:36 AM

Check to see if it qualifies for the hg gasket recall from Toyota and get another estimate.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
Check out this place:

http://www.orientengine.com

$1800 shipped.

I's running Auto-Rx right now and so far it's running better and mileage is up a tad.

I ordered an Orient engine last July while on vacation - changed it in my wifes uncles driveway in 90 degree heat - it took the whole week.
Engine came with a 3 year warranty - just a long block with the gasket kit, timing belt, new idler pulley. Orient refunds the core charge once they recieve your old block - all they look for is no holes in the block.

Looking back - I probably just blew a head gasket - no compression on the #1 cylinder - It was blowing oil because the crankcase was presurizing and the oil was shooting out of the dipstick. With 210,000 miles and me being 450 miles from home - i ordered a new engine. Things that I did not consider - Electrical plugs on the engine were heat soaked and brittle - sensors snapped before the plug released. Required new sensors that Toyota had to order. Knock sensor was $200.00 - it was also cracked.

Fuel injectors looked questionable - so I replaced them with new ones.

All total - I spent $2400.00 and I did all the work. This was not a piece of cake !!!!!! 4 wheel drive is right in the damn way !
Old 03-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Banned

HEY STUMP!!!!

I Just saw you are in Houston. Wish I woulda seen this yesterday.... From the beginning of your thread I knew what was wrong, I just did my rebuild last summer and could really help you out with parts and advice. I might even offer to help you with some of the labour if you are game for saving money. I'll PM you too. Get back with me if you are interested, there are a couple of us here in Houston that know the 3VZE like the back of our hands.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 AM

After reading all of your responses, I'm beginning to think I can do this myself. I have a few problems, though. I live in a condo and don't have a garage. Also, I doubt I have all the tools necessary to do this job. And I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to major engine work. I've got the transportation issue handled for the next few weeks so that's not a problem.

OK, so what do I need now to make this happen?

Originally Posted by Slowrunner
Check to see if it qualifies for the hg gasket recall from Toyota and get another estimate.
I checked a couple of weeks ago. My 4Runner was built in late October 95 and does not qualify for the HG gasket recall.

TRunner, check your PM. I just messaged you back.

Last edited by Stump; 03-30-2005 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading all of your responses, I'm beginning to think I can do this myself. I have a few problems, though. I live in a condo and don't have a garage. Also, I doubt I have all the tools necessary to do this job. And I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to major engine work. I've got the transportation issue handled for the next few weeks so that's not a problem.
Well that complicates things. They will probably frown upon you working in the parking lot.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:53 AM

I live in a small building with only 8 units and we're all owners. I've done plenty of work on the truck in the carport and the other owners are cool with it. But yeah, I think there would be a problem with having half my engine out and trying to rebuild it in my assigned parking space. Someone would definitely give me some grief about it.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:15 AM

i replaced my engine, you can get a long block from most junkyards for like 500 bucks. mine had 76000 miles and it was clean as a whistle inside, no sludge. add in a clutch if your truck is a manual, and a few gaskets and seals and your total if you did it yourself would come in under 900. i would suggest this route to anybody. of course, you have to put it in yourself, but its easier than rebuilding a motor if you dont know what youre doing.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:04 PM

I live in a small building with only 8 units and we're all owners. I've done plenty of work on the truck in the carport and the other owners are cool with it. But yeah, I think there would be a problem with having half my engine out and trying to rebuild it in my assigned parking space. Someone would definitely give me some grief about it.
stump,

you really should have no grief from your neighbors as the only things that you'll be removing are the oil pan, the baffle plate, the oil strianer (all to make some room for you to get in there at the problem) & whatever associated bearing(s) that you'll be replacing.
actually, the most unsightful thing about your rig is that it will have a higher front stance from it's being up on jack stands &, hey, you can set it off of them @ night &/or whenever your not working on it if you want to.

as for what you need to do this: a jack & stands (in case you have'nt already guessed);
a torque wrench, a 3/8" drive ratchet & a selection of metric sockets ranging from 8mm-15mm, plus one for the spark plugs (it has been a while, so bear w/me as it's always better to have it & not need it than it is to need it & not have it) & an extension or two may prove useful;
some "plastigauge" for checking the bearing(s) clearance to help determine what size you will need to replace the old one(s) & to determine if the crankshaft journal needs to be refinished.

once you've collected these items, drain the oil completely & remove the oil pan, oil pan baffle plate & the oil pick up tube, all of which will be in clear view during removal.
follow this up w/the removal of the spark plugs, taking care to pay attention to whether or not their electrodes are smashed( especially the #6 plug), as this will help in determining the extent of the damage & allow for movement of the piston(s) in their cylinders for removal & installation of the bearings.

all of this will get you started off in the right direction & help you to determine what-all it is that you will need to do the job so you'll know what to order from "engnbldr.com".

it's late now, but i'll be back tomorrow (earlier) to find out where you're at & where to go from here.
later, & welcome to a new adventure
frankenrunner
Old 03-31-2005, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the info frankenrunner.

I have a lot of questions about this whole process if you guys can bear with me. The guy at the shop said my other option besides replacing the engine is what he called a "crank kit". It is the crankshaft, connecting rod, rod bearings, and main bearings. He described this as a "band-aid" for the problem. By that, I'm thinking he means a temporary solution. Is this the same as what you are describing? Basically just replacing the damaged parts? The guy also said the piston was hitting the head, that was the knock that I was hearing. How do I know my piston or cylinder head is or isn't damaged without taking the head off and inspecting it? How do I know if my crankshaft is or isn't damaged?

I know nothing about engine rebuilding. I'm assuming I won't have to remove the crankshaft in following the procedure frankenrunner outlined?

Right now, my truck is still sitting at the shop I had it towed to on Tuesday. I really need to get started with getting it repaired and back on the road.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

I checked a couple of weeks ago. My 4Runner was built in late October 95 and does not qualify for the HG gasket recall.
How long have you owned your 4Runner? Maybe the previous owner had some type of work done at a Toyota dealer, related to your engine problem, and it may have a warranty? I know it is a long shot. But it would not cost anything to find out.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:46 AM
Banned

How do I know my piston or cylinder head is or isn't damaged without taking the head off and inspecting it? How do I know if my crankshaft is or isn't damaged?
That is exactly the problem... You don't know until you have it apart and checked. Also, if your truck ran for any period of time with even a slightly bad bearing, you will most likely have that cylinder out of round and will need to get that fixed. In order to fix that they must get all new pistons and bore out your cylinders to make a true round again.

I will try and PM you or call you latter today. I am also going to get ahold of the guy in Pearland and let him know your situation.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bluto
How long have you owned your 4Runner? Maybe the previous owner had some type of work done at a Toyota dealer, related to your engine problem, and it may have a warranty? I know it is a long shot. But it would not cost anything to find out.
I have owned it about 2 1/2 years. I bought it from a guy who bought it at auction. Fortunately, I have quite a bit a paperwork from the original owner. I will have to check my documentation but I don't recall any major engine work being done before I bought the truck.

Thanks, TRunner. I will be at the office all day. You can call me there.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:43 AM

I got your email Ted.

Stump,

I don't want to mess with rebuilding the 3.0 but I have the facilities and equipment to remove the motor so that it can be brought somewhere to get a rebuild and then reinstall it.

if you are looking to do a 3.4 swap I can do that for you. or if you want to buy a 3.0 from a salvage yard, I can swap it out for you too.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TeamShiftPoint
I don't want to mess with rebuilding the 3.0 but I have the facilities and equipment to remove the motor so that it can be brought somewhere to get a rebuild and then reinstall it.
Maybe we could work some sort of joint venture on this... I could easily get it broken down and to the machine shop if I was just working with the block. I would be glad to get everything cleaned up and powder coated as well. then reassemble the block and hand it back over to you. That alone could still take me 1.5-2 weeks, though. Machine shops aren't the fastest unless you have something they really want to work on or are spending a lot of cash. None the less, I'll get with Stump a little later today with some possible scenarios and see what he would like to do.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 AM

sounds good.

also have an account with champion toyota, so if oem parts are needed, I can get those.

I also have a car trailer, so transporting your 4runner from where ever you have it, is no problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:28 PM

Thanks, guys.

Ted, try to get with me as soon as you can. I need to get started on this ASAP, really by tomorrow at the latest, and also need to know what kind of $$$ we're talking about. I've got a decent price (a lot less than the $3500 originally quoted) from another shop, but if I can do it for even less and learn something at the same time I'm all for that.

Last edited by Stump; 03-31-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: I need EMERGENCY help with my 3VZE