95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i hate some mechanics!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate some mechanics!!!!!!!!!!!

hey all, i finally got my head off with much help from all of you guys

thanks alot by the way!
so when i first bought my runner there was a big confusion about where my coolant was going soooo. i took it to tom walshes in dublin california (never go here this a-hole is a crook) and he gave me a long list of things wrong with it (probably all BS) so i take it upon myself for experience reasons to remove my own head just for the fun of it.

WELLLLL today i got the head off at 11:30 and what do i FIND but a RIPPED apart #2 and #4 cylinder ring and PUDDLES of coolant in those cylinders. so my first question is this. do i have grounds to get my money back from the mechanic because he said he did a compression test. and obviously didnt becuase he said the engine was fine?

and also what kind of damage am i looking at here?
should i just mill the head and replace the HG and be done or do i need to do anything else like clean out the coolant (whats best way to do so with out taking the block out?)

thanks alot for all your help with this project
Old 03-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

but a RIPPED apart #2 and #4 cylinder ring
I assume you mean the ring around the headgasket, not the piston rings. I would visually check the bores for cracks, and look to see if there still is a nice crosshatch pattern in the bores,and that part should be fine. About the head.....Its your call to send it out and have it tested for cracks if you overheated the truck. It's probably fine thou, but check really close between the intake and exhaust valves for a crack. It prolly doesn't need milled unless their is alot of pitting on the mating surface or warped(happenes when overheated pretty good). If everything visually looks fine I would just do the headgasket. IT's all a mater of how much you want to spend at the machine shop to get head work down. There should be a plug on the block(driver side) to drain the block. Hope some of this helps
Old 03-14-2004, 03:48 PM

yea every thing looks good, the truck never overheated and i drove it for 3 days with a bhg (just kept drinking coolant) and never overheated (good truck) so its all good. i plan on doing alot to the head. probably a rebuild with a p&p all through out the head, intake manifold, and air chamber. cleaning fuel injectors and getting arp head bolts becuase when i took them off some were alot tighter than others were, one actually just needed its "seal" broken and was almost hand tight from there (scary thought). overall a pretty easy process taking the head off. only thing i needed the manual for was the torquing sequence of hb's
if anyone needs any help with their 22-re hg replacement shoot me a pm.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:22 PM

Coolant leaking into the cylinders won't always show up on a compression test. The best way to find a coolant/combustion chamber leak situation is to use a combustion leak detector in the coolant or to use a bore scope.