Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hypothetical? Why hasn't this been done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=rockota]Not to sound argumentative, but my first 86 DLX came with a window sticker - <$12K. i think your numbers are pretty high.

I bought a new 85 SR5 4x4 with every option in late 84 - sticker was $15,500. I bought a new 85 SR5 4Runner with every option in late 85 - sticker was $19,100. My father was a sales manager at a big Yota dealership for many years (while I was 22 to about 30 years old - in those years I was Keenly interested.) I looked at em and test drove em all the time. In those days money was tighter than it is now, of course, and I nearly didn't buy a Toyota, I was gonna buy a Cherokee - for a LOT less money. The D50 (Mitsubishi built) was my other choice. Ford and Chevy were never even considered, even though they were cheap.

But you are right, just in the last few years the trucks have gotten much more competitive in price.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
[QUOTE=kyle_22r]

i'm willing to bet that most guys that wish toyota would offer a straight axle truck have never even owned one.QUOTE]

Excellent point. Another thing I was thinking earlier - everyone reveres the FJ40. Ever drive one? I almost bought one of the last of em - a shiny new baby-crap-yellowish color... Anyway, I took it home for the day, picked up the wife at work in it and we drove it around for a while. Then we took it back. Rode like a tank, harsh ride, bouncy, hobby horse, rattled, noisy, steering like a farm wagon, vinyl covered boards for seats. No way we said. A year or so later bought the 85 SR5 4x4 and never regretted it. What a huge difference!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i think i was quoted $400 labor when i first bought my straight axle truck
i am just going by what they told me, but that isn't the price for a straight axle truck, its for the LC axles w/lockers, and it includes bearing replacement on axle and diff after axle has leaked out most of its oil. could be they are crooked too, but we have been looking into those trucks, and so trying to find out what we are getting into
Old 04-17-2006, 06:49 PM

Ran across this thread while searching for something else and it reminded me of the following I had read on the Toysport site maybe a year or so ago. It seems to have alot of truth to it, thought I'd share

The first link creates the picture, the second link continues and really frames it up IMO.

http://www.toysport.com/webpages/NewsInfo/Info/1985.htm

http://www.toysport.com/webpages/NewsInfo/News/2005.htm
Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
[[[Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Toyota has forgotten what made them in the USA. Sporty cars with real sport (all gone now) and rock-reliable trucks that could take astounding punishment, go damn near anywhere, and take you to work on Monday. They have lost touch. But they do have lots of cupholders now... ]]]

[[This is kinda funny as Toyota starts passing Ford and GM on sales. Toyota, including Lexus, will be the number one car company in the world w/ in the next five years.]]

No, that doesn't contridict my points. I said Toyota's sales are fine. I also said that what originally MADE Toyota a big seller in the USA is gone now. They just build stuff for the sales department spreadsheets like everyone else - they have forgotten the "enthusiast." ("There are more "soccer-mom's out there than off-roader's, so let's not build off-roaders any more, there's not as much profit in it.")

I did not say their corporate bottom line was suffering. It is us, the last of the loyal, who are suffering. "To us and those like us, damn few left! Hooah!"
Toyota's philosophy for selling vehicles has changed, but I wouldn't go as far to equate Toyota with every other manufacturer. The 4Runner is still a far more capable SUV than a Tahoe or an Explorer. The sporty edge that brought Toyota where it is in the American market has diminished only because the American market doesn't have a need for it any longer.

We are the enthusiasts who desire sporty, rock-solid, off-pavement capable trucks; Toyota still delivers these things to some degree. Like you, I wish Toyota trucks were still the way they used to be (with some improvements of course), but I still think they're still a hell of a lot better than most others.

Plus, I can't say that I wouldn't rather have a nearly 300-horse V8 in my Runner over the old 3.0.

Last edited by kev7706; 04-18-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they were really serious, they would either equip TRD package vehicles with serious tires (like the Rubicon Wrangler) or offer an upsell offroading package featuring better tires...some MTR's or something.