Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How do I tell if my '00 Tacoma is Cali or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I tell if my '00 Tacoma is Cali or not?

Is there any easy way? It's harder to look up on the internet than you would think. I've been google searching and searching here. I guess most people know. I'm on the east coast, but with all the military moving out here, it's possible my truck was a california truck originally.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 PM

i think they have two cats instead of one...i think
Old 07-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it would tell you in the manual or look on the inside of the drivers door area and it should say on a sticker.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 PM

v.i.n. number should start with a 4 if it is made in cali
Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by fitzman62
That's the info I was looking for. Thanks... I guess I have a Cali truck.

Does this mean I have an anemic version? I've got some CEL codes I'm chasing down and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be changing the O2 sensor. I know that means I'll have to spend more for the California one.

What are the big differences?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Buhundred
IIRC, all Tacos are made in California. He's asking if it's a California emissions model. Take a look underneath and if it has 2 catalytic converters it's CA model.
Haha, I didn't even catch that he said made in California.

Either way, mine's a California emissions truck. I pulled the upstream O2 sensor and it's the higher dollar one like the California emission trucks have. I've got two cats too. I also found a sticker under the hood that says it meets all federal and California emission requirements, I suppose that's a dead giveaway.

What are the substantial differences then? Is there any difference in performance? If so, is there anything I can unCalifornia on it to gain any performance back?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was either 2000 or 2001 that Toyota started making all their vehicles 50 states legal IE Calif compliant

One way to know for sure is to hook up a OBD-II scanner and under one of the options you can ask the ECM if its a FED compliant or CARB compliant.

As far performance losses the only loss is the restriction due to the extra cat converter in line. You can remove that cat but the computer will constantly throw a P0420 Catalyst efficiency low code.

To avoid this you can install a rear O2 sensor simulator from URD.com and it will make the ECM see a perfect reading from the sensor and think it is working at 100% efficiency.

I live in Texas and have a 01 4runner and have been there and done that with dealing with the rear O2 sensor and the P0420 code. Even if your not after better performance, after about 90K miles your cat will get weak enough to throw a P0420 all the time.

You can either throw ALLOT of money at the dealer and get a new OEM cat or you can get a O2 simulator and save allot of money.

Don't waste your money on the high flow aftermarket cats, they are not nearly as efficient as the OEM cats and will give you a P0420 code all the time.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Stop calling it Cali!!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by FogRunner
It was either 2000 or 2001 that Toyota started making all their vehicles 50 states legal IE Calif compliant

One way to know for sure is to hook up a OBD-II scanner and under one of the options you can ask the ECM if its a FED compliant or CARB compliant.

As far performance losses the only loss is the restriction due to the extra cat converter in line. You can remove that cat but the computer will constantly throw a P0420 Catalyst efficiency low code.

To avoid this you can install a rear O2 sensor simulator from URD.com and it will make the ECM see a perfect reading from the sensor and think it is working at 100% efficiency.

I live in Texas and have a 01 4runner and have been there and done that with dealing with the rear O2 sensor and the P0420 code. Even if your not after better performance, after about 90K miles your cat will get weak enough to throw a P0420 all the time.

You can either throw ALLOT of money at the dealer and get a new OEM cat or you can get a O2 simulator and save allot of money.

Don't waste your money on the high flow aftermarket cats, they are not nearly as efficient as the OEM cats and will give you a P0420 code all the time.
I've got enough experiance in the "fast car" world to know better than to use aftermarket cats. I was just curious if there were any particular things to "unlock" on these trucks to get a little more get-up out of them. I've got a supercharged S2000 that's my go-fast toy, I just thought it might be worth it to do a couple little thing to free up the truck a bit. As far as the secondary cat going bad, I've got 241k miles on mine with the original factory cats and all is well for now. I've just got a bad upstream O2 sensor to change, although my gas mileage is still over 20, so I'm not in a rediculous hurry. Thanks for taking the time to answer though, I'm still trying to learn these things.

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Stop calling it Cali!!!!!

Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali.....

Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Why are aftermarket cats bad? I raced in the import scene back in '95 and for 8 years I never saw a problem with good quality aftermarket cats which cost a bit over $100 vs spending 8x that for an OEM cat.

I have a Cali truck but fortunatly no issues with the cats here and performance wise I don't think there's really a measurable difference in performance since when I raced my truck at the truck event here in denver at the strip I was just as slow as the other 4Runners I saw run.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by fitzman62
hmm...my 99 starts with a 4, but has a single cat. Im running URD fuel mods and using the O2 sensor calibrator vs the AFR model, with no issues as well (cali should be the AFR model I believe).
Old 07-20-2009, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look on the sticker under the hood. if it says something like 'approved for 2009 model year federal emissions standards and approved for 2009 model year california standards.' then its a cali.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Please try searching for this topic.
I have a multiple page thread of my troubles with the dual cat CEL codes.

If you a have two cats you have a California emission-spec rig, if you have one you do not.
Simple as that.

Fink
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Please try searching for this topic.
I have a multiple page thread of my troubles with the dual cat CEL codes.

If you a have two cats you have a California emission-spec rig, if you have one you do not.
Simple as that.

Fink
I did search for quite a while. Maybe I'm not up to speed on all the yota lingo, but I couldn't find what I wanted. Care to link me to your thread? I'd like to read it. I'll search for your screen name too, but if it's an easy find for you, please share.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Dual Cat Thread

I usually use the Advanced Search feature.
For example, for this thread search, search for my username and select "Threads started by this user" then search for "Dual Cat" as a keyword.

Hope it helps.

Fink
Old 07-20-2009, 07:13 AM

"dual cat" were the key words I was missing. Thanks.

I'm a moderator on a couple other sites. I'm plenty familiar with how to use the search function, I just don't always know the best key words to look for. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flite
"dual cat" were the key words I was missing. Thanks.

I'm a moderator on a couple other sites. I'm plenty familiar with how to use the search function, I just don't always know the best key words to look for. Thanks for your help.
No problem at all.
Have fun reading...that's a long thread.

Fink
Old 07-20-2009, 07:49 AM

Read it all. I'll order a new A/F sensor here shortly. Thanks again.

How's the O2 simulator treating you if you're still running it. I'm going to ditch at least my rear cat eventually.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flite
Read it all. I'll order a new A/F sensor here shortly. Thanks again.

How's the O2 simulator treating you if you're still running it. I'm going to ditch at least my rear cat eventually.
It was working great up until I sold it, no problems whatsoever.
Very cheap and easy install - highly recommended.

Fink
Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
look on the sticker under the hood. if it says something like 'approved for 2009 model year federal emissions standards and approved for 2009 model year california standards.' then its a cali.
Something tells me a truck older than 2009 wont have that tag...could be wrong though

Originally Posted by Buhundred
The VIN starting with a 4 has nothing to do with it being a CA spec model. The first digit in a VIN tells the place it was manufactered. If it starts with a J (no Taco VIN should begin with that, only 4runners) then it was manufactured in Japan. All Tacos are made in Fremont, California. Your Taco is not CA spec model.
That kind of what I thought, And what Gadget determined as well when we spoke about it (due to the single cat). I guess he was saying it was made in cali, not cali spec. I guess for some reason I though some Tacoma's were made in KY or something like that?

Quick Reply: How do I tell if my '00 Tacoma is Cali or not?