Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hi-Lift Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi-Lift Time

OK guys, now that I've got my Surco on I've got a good place to store a Hi-Lift and I am in need of an in/on rig jack because right now I've got nothin'. I will probably end up getting the jack from 4WP this weekend when they run a free shipping deal. My main concern is that the jack won't be able to be kept out in bad weather, the whole point in getting this is to have a jack in case of a flat no matter where I am, on OR off road.

As long as you guys think the Hi-Lift will be able to withstand being out in the elements I'll order it as soon as I can, if not then I am looking for recommendations on a different idea. I'd like to keep the inside of the rig as simple as possible because I've already got my custom built sub box in the back and dont want to risk having a Hi-Lift jack go rolling around or flying out of its brackets or tie-downs or whatever in the back and taking out my subs and what not. If I dont go with a Hi-Lift then whats a good, fairly lightweight compact jack that I could keep in the rig?

Thanks for advice, I am really hoping the Hi-Lift will be able to stay mounted to the Surco fulltime but if not I'll need some help with other options. Thanks again!

Fink
Old 10-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

http://www.4by4connection.com/jackprotector.html

Old 10-05-2004, 05:23 PM

Why not get the accessory bag, like this guy? -

Keep it up top and out of the elements?

Here's a link for the whole page/site - Baja Taco
Old 10-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

It says on 4x4 Connection that its for the 60" version, I was just gonna get the 48"...is this ok?

Fink
Old 10-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
It says on 4x4 Connection that its for the 60" version, I was just gonna get the 48"...is this ok?

Fink
From the link I gave you:

"Protects your Hi-Lift Jack from weather, mud, dirt and sand.

Made of durable vinyl-coated nylon, the Jack Protector is waterproof, as well as mildew and decay resistant. Drawstring closure.

Fits 48" and 60" Hi-Lift Jacks.

Note: All working parts of the 60" jack are protected. However, the foot piece and 5" of steel bar are exposed."

I think the information you need is in there somewhere...

Old 10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When are you going to get sliders? The hi-lift is practically useless without them.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 PM

how are you going to attach it to your surco, ive been pondering the highlift idea also but cant figure out what to use to mount it.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Has anyone had a problem with haveing a highlift stolen off the roof rack?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Banned

there are hilift mounts you can get that have a locking provision... both problems solved
Old 10-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
When are you going to get sliders? The hi-lift is practically useless without them.
I agree. And even with sliderz you may want to get an adapter Fink (Brian sells them). Jacking mine up on the sliderz is an interesting experience to say the least. It just doesn't look very stable, and the "beek" comes way too close to the rocker panel.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

I have the hi-lift bag for my 48" version. I think I picked it up at a 4WP.

The jack should be fine in the weather exposed IF you can find some way to just cover the mechanism area but the hi-lift bag would be a safer bet. then you can just cut, ad stitch if you're so inclined, holes where you will mount it to your rack.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

I'm gonna get the bracket off of Summit Racing that can lock, I'll get the bag and I'm gonna go ahead and get the lift off of Summit Racing cause its like 10 bucks cheaper than the one no 4WP.

Any other suggestions?

Fink
Old 10-06-2004, 11:40 AM

A few people are keeping the 48" version across the rear of their cargo area - right across the width of the tailgate. Seems to fit pretty well... I think they use the tie downs to, well, tie it down. I believe Steve is doing this - check out his site for pics.

As far as the hi-lift out side... carry a can of wd40 or your favorite lubricant (and I don't mean personal lubricant) - you'll need it regardless of where you carry/store your jack.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

True, I just like the idea of keeping it up top to keep it out of the way. I haul a buncha stuff in the back so I would need as much room as possible, I'd have to cut holes in the Husky Liner back there and get tie downs and I dunno how that would look. I searched for pics, if any of you have em go ahead and post em so I can see how it looks.

Fink
Old 10-06-2004, 11:53 AM

like I said ... on steve's site...

Last edited by jacksonpt; 10-06-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:57 AM

I keep mine across the back in the cargo area, To secure i just got a set of "jeep" bumper mounts and screwed them into the floor. It works great for keepin my hi-lift secure. But i do have to agree, sometimes it does get in the way. But for the most part its fine.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, the 60" unit will have some of the jack exposed. The bag they make has a hole in it so part of the jack can stick through. I have this setup, but no camera currently.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:52 PM

What would ya'll do with one on a pickup? I'd probably just throw it in the bed, but I know that's not the best of ideas.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:14 PM

Bag it. That's Phuny! Never thought I'd hear that term with lifted trucks and whatnot.

Mine has been mounted in the elements for years and as jacksonpt said... you just need to keep a can of lube (WD40, PB Blaster, Starrett M1, ect.) widya. I've used mine in the red OK clay and put it up in the bed to later dry in the sun (weather changes every 10 minutes here). It'll be all seized up in sun hardened clay and after a few drops on it's base to the ground and a few quick squirts, it always works for me. It has never let me down and I've never even considered trying to keep it out of the elements. You can't go wrong with a Hi-Lift. Even if your rig outgrows the use of it as a jack, there's so many more uses for it (winching probably being the best) it'll definately pay for itself many times over during it's life.

Since your plan is to keep it in the elements and your not really confined on space, get the 60". You'll use it or wish ya had.

As far as lockin' it down. The Loc-Rac & 4xRac they offer work great if you can mount em somewhere. I just used a bolt long enough to stick through one of the holes in the jack and ground a flat side on it so I could drill a hole in the shank that allows a lock to fit through. I then welded it to my bad bar (the Surco in your case) and the jack fits right over it as it sets in the mounts. Kinda funny really. All a theif would have to do is cary 2-7/16" open/box wrenches (remove 4 bolts) and they can steel my whole bed bar, CB antenna, and hi-lift but so far that lock is enough deterrent to keep em from it.

Last edited by SloPoke; 10-07-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:32 PM

I like your mount Slopoke, but I'd have to lose my dern toolbox. I've used hilift jacks for farm stuff, and I we always left them outside in the rain and stuff. It never seemed to hurt them

Quick Reply: Hi-Lift Time