Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Has anyone ever seen these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever seen these?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...hox/index.html

Talking about a simplistic, and space saving setup. I'm emailing a few folks that have them hoping that they will work for my rear suspension when I start my 4-link rear. The only problem is the weight capacity is supposably only 5K lbs. What do our rigs weigh anyway?

Chris
Old 03-10-2004, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are starting to ask questions and wonder about things that are way beyond bolt on. If you are serious, you need to know things like what you rear end is and about how much the rig weighs.

The next step is ponying up for a star and heading to the land of fabrication. If you are serious, that is the only way to fly.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would have to relocated your gas tank and cut out the whole factory suspension setup. And there is more to it than copying this guys plans. Theres all kinds of formulas involved to get it right.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:54 AM

Yeah, I wasn't asking really about the suspension design, but rather just pointing out the coolness factor of these shocks. I know there's a lot involved in doing a custom 4-link, and to be honest, I've got a lot more reading to do before I attack it. But, nevertheless, I thought these shocks were pretty cool.

Chris
Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 AM

My friend runs them and loves them. the adjustability is nice. He has them on a buggy so I have no idea about street performance.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Adam F
You would have to relocated your gas tank and cut out the whole factory suspension setup. And there is more to it than copying this guys plans. Theres all kinds of formulas involved to get it right.
There is a three link set-up (in kit form) now offered so gas tank relocation is not necessary. It is designed for use with coils, not coilovers and costs about $900. There is a post on it in the fab section.

Personally, I think the tank location on 4runners really sucks anyway and if you are serious then you'll probably move the tank anyway....then there's room for a 4-link. I will be moving mine soon. It hold about 2-3 gal less because of all the dents. I'm suprised it doesn't leak yet.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not even sure if they would fit.
That is a TON of travel and airshocks can be tough on upkeep.
It is an expensive setup but would be very cool indeed.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I am not even sure if they would fit.
That is a TON of travel and airshocks can be tough on upkeep.
It is an expensive setup but would be very cool indeed.
My gas tank is already designed and I'm just waiting on the funds to make it. It's going to be in the spare tire location and hold about 3 gallons more than stock. As far as the shocks, they actually aren't that expensive at all when you factor in springs and shocks together, because that's what they replace. As far as travel and length, they multiple sizes available. I'd love to be able to use them in conjunction with a customer rear 4-link because the room they free up is awesome. I've got a lot research and time to figure it all out though.

Chris