Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Injector Rebuild and O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local MotorVacs

lookin for local input here. I found a few shops that have the MotorVac. Anybody heard of these or had any problems?

www.allaboutautomotive.net
www.allaroundautomotive.com/str2.html
Zee Germans!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
I was out of town for the last day or so. But, I wasn't needed in this thread anyway.

Good Luck Moss!
Dr. Z
Yes you were! See my post a little bit earlier in the thread about ultrasonic cleaning.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Im not sure, but I think that the factory manual has a fuel injector inspection/testing portion!
I dont have the factory manual, I just got the haynes and will be looking into that. Still looking around for local MotorVac Shops
Old 02-11-2003, 01:43 PM

First off, I would like to let every body knows that this is a great forum. Whoever started this forum is a genius.

Now, I can feel the pain Moss is feeling right now. Moss do you have the original owner's manual when you bought that rig? If you do, then you need to flip that manual to page 166, Oxygen Sensor. On that page it says " Your Toyota dealer will make this replacement (parts and labor) at no cost to you". Show that to the Toyota guys you went to and they should honor that, you don't need to pay them $206.00, it is free.

As far as the fuel injectors, which one is cost effective, to replace them or just get them rebuilt? As for me, I would just replace them.

I have the same year of 4Runner and it has 88k miles and every 3 months, I always add Castrol 4x4 formula fuel injector cleaner to a 93 octane gas at fill up.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

too bad my runner did not come with the manual. Are you serious, for free, even if its not under warranty?? Thats a good deal. Anybody know where I can get a manual, orginal that is. otherwise I'll just do it myself. Do you really think I should get new injectors? If I do I'm going for something better then stock.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local injector cleaning shop in Seattle area is called Dr. Injector. It is a franchise so there may be one near you. They use the ASNU ultrasonic cleaner, which works very well.
The injectors are cleaned ultrasonicly (SP?) while they are cycling. They check the flow, pattern, coil resistance, replace all external seals, and install new pintle caps. I think it was like 30-35 per injector. One injector in our set was for a 24 valve Camry (Toyota had recently done the head gaskets and must have damaged an injector, put in whatever they had) He exchanged it for the correct one, and since they had recently been cleaned, only charged $10 each for test and new seals.

But pulling them out was a PITA!!!!! Top of intake had to come off (Buddies 91 4Runner w/3.0)

I had my injectors for a 22RE cleaned with an ASNU machine at the local VoTech autoshop.....I think $10 each with new seals, screen ect.

Last edited by Yoda; 02-11-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:43 PM

Moss, my 94 Runner has 88k miles and it is no longer under warranty and I have owned this since new. In accordance with the owner's manual, the scheduled initial replacement for the O2 sensor is 80k miles. Since new I have never replace my O2 sensor and I called the service department where I bought this rig. The manager told me that the only way they will replace the O2 sensor if the check engine light comes on and they will replace if for me regardless of mileage. Hey, that was the service manager who told me, so I'll be darn if they charge me if my engine light comes on. Now, if you think that O2 sensor that you have on your rig is still original and never been initially replaced then you need to talk to the Toyota guys to settle the problem. Find out and see what they can do for you without costing an arm and a leg.

Now, where to get an owner's manual? Don't confuse yourself between owner's manual (one that sits on glove compartment) and maintenance (shop) manual. Try ebay or the dealer.

And for your injectors, man if you live closer to me, I will help you clean them with our portable ultrasonic cleaner using PD-680 (solvent). If it is cheaper to replace them all than rebuild them, I'll replace them if I were on your shoe.

Let me know if this info helps you in anyway

Noel
Old 02-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

and another thing, who do I go to for new fuel injectors if i want to go that route. Toyota for stock or some after market place for a little better fuel delivery?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:07 AM

Question o2 sensor location

I need to replace my front o2 sensor. I ordered the part - put it in last weekend, but in the WRONG bung! I put it in the air/fuel ratio bung. Anyway, now I'm looking for the "02 sensor". Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should be looking for it? Under the hood...under the truck....help..thanks
Old 10-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

If I remember right, injectors run something like $200 a piece. That's a little out of the sane category for me.

Upon changing my plugs, I noticed that two were white while the others had carbon build-up plus a shade of yellow on the insulator. I was told the yellow was from the high sulfur content in the premium gas. I'll try to get a post with pics up this weekend only because I think these plugs look somewhat unique.

Anyways, I've been researching pulling my injectors and having them cleaned. If the Motorvac system does just as good of a job of cleaning them or better, than I think I will go that route first. It just seems like too much work to pull the injectors.

Thanks for all the useful info guys. I'm just going to have to comment that I think this thread could use some stars too.

Keep up the good work.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:25 PM

Re: o2 sensor location

Originally posted by heholaday
I need to replace my front o2 sensor. I ordered the part - put it in last weekend, but in the WRONG bung! I put it in the air/fuel ratio bung. Anyway, now I'm looking for the "02 sensor". Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should be looking for it? Under the hood...under the truck....help..thanks
There is a sensor before and after the cat(s) mounted in the exhaust pipe.

Does that help in anyway?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Cool Woot!

Well this thread just keeps on trucking. Here's an update,
replaced the O2 myself, no problem.
Putting in techron cleaner every now and then, havent had any trouble since the I started the thread.
Now for the kicker. I went to the dealership to get the plugs replaced. I could have done it myself but holy crap, put some more stuff next to #6 why dont ya. Anyway, while at work, I get a call saying the wires need replacing too because they were coming apart (the techs broke one) so I spring for new wires too. Hey, its only money. At the end of the day I get the call saying its ready. The guy also says that a fuel injector rebuild would help the rough idle. I say whatever, not today. I really had no idea what he was talking about cause it was running fine. Then I picked up my truck. When I stated it up it starts shaking like a mother. Its running but barely. hmm I think, these guys are professionals right. They wouldnt cross wires. I go talk to the service manager who takes a listen and a look and sure enough 4 and 6 were switched. I dont think I'll be going back there again
Old 10-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mossback74
I go talk to the service manager who takes a listen and a look and sure enough 4 and 6 were switched. I dont think I'll be going back there again
Wow, those guys are real winners. Either they are too stupid to realize that they crossed the wires (which is pretty hard to do because the #4 wire probably barely reached the #6 plug) or they did it on purpose to try to screw you over. You should have raised hell for that one.

Its so hard to get good service these days.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:48 PM

I mean, like how could they not know something was wrong??

The fact they tried to pass it off back to you like nothing was wrong. In my world that goof would have to be fired. That is why a lot of shops require a second person to look things over and do the test drive just to keep crap like this from happening.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs down

Well, I will just keep assuming that it was an accident and advise anyone else to stay away from there. After all its so hard to find good help these days. The main reason I didnt get all pissy about it was I had just finished a long ass shift and really really wanted to go to bed. Now if the f-up had resulted in a long delay I may have just tested how strong those new toyota wires are by wraping them around the grease monkey's neck. In any case I have decided to get the motorvac done and have started looking for some shops. It would be nice if the group buy for the magna flows goes through. I need a new muffler too.

Last edited by Mossback74; 10-28-2003 at 01:14 AM.