Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Four Wheeler magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Wheeler magazine

Hi everyone.

I stopped at a newstand to have a look at the latest edition of Four Wheeler magazine. They have a first look article on the 2003 4Runner.

The 4Runner featured in the article is the one from PaulS pictures (Blue with the license plate 797). But the pictures are from another perspective.

In 2 of the pictures the truck was dirty (shots are taken in a 4X4 path). So it is not a shinny pic like marketing likes to throw at us (waterfall). From the fron the 4Runner looks VERY like a large Rav4 but I would say from the previous gen (98-2000).

The rear angle shot shows that the 4Runner is now a large vehicule, more round and it also shows that the design team were unsure how to finish off that section of the truck. The blend of old and new is very odd at best.

The article also shows a shinny Silver Limited. This is by very far the worst picture I've seen from the Runner. Simply awful. Weird looking at best. Or maybe it's me ??? No it is very ugly.... or simply weird.

They have shots from the interior. Pretty similar to the GX 470 we got to see from the Lexus web site. Nothing to write home about.

If I was only to make my decision from this article and from the pics I've seen lately I would go right now to get my deposit back and go buy something else.....

Next step is Motorweek. I hope seeing an animated version of the 4Runner will give us another perspective.

But I don't know how I could be completely turned around now. Lately I was wishing that all the pics we had seen were fake shots pushed by Toyota to throw us off and surprise us with an incredibly cool truck.

Unless Four Wheeler magazine test drives fake trucks...
Old 09-19-2002, 12:06 PM

I saw "Modern Marvels" on the History
channel last night on pick-ups.

The new prototypes from all the major
manufacturers are following suite. Very strange looking vehicles. This is the direction they think consumers want them to go. They feel the big market is with young trendy drivers.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:23 PM

I looked at the 4wheeler also. I hope now the people that thought the pictures were fake can see that they were not. I just hope I did not mess it up for 4wheeler taking the pictures of the 4runners. I have more pictures but I did not post them all. I am also taking my pictures off webshots. The pictures were taken in Oregon at the coast.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:43 PM

PaulS

Do not worry.... I do not think you messed up their shoot... really. I do not think that the FW people really care. The article is not positioned as a major unveiling. Only a two pager first test burried somewhere in the magazine....

What do you think of the Silver Limited they have in there ?

It looks very odd ??? Is it the angle they used for the shot? It looks kind of stretched and the fender flares do not look like they fit. Like an early prototype.

Was the silver there when you shot the pictures ?
Old 09-19-2002, 06:49 PM

I must have got there on the last day. I think that the silver one looks good. It was not there. The only other pictures I have are of the inside, not very clear. I bet the other pictures were for the 4wheeler shoot out next Feb. My wife likes the look of the 03 and they are growing on me. Check out the Tacoma in 4wheeler you can win,looks good.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:58 PM

PaulS

I'm just looking at Corey/Ckonarske pics.

I'm not sure yet, the look will still have to grow on me.

But it is a relief to be able to look at great shots from all angles

The sport Edition does not look bad at all considering the two-tone colors. I think I'm getting used to the flares.

Mmmm I'll see