Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

footwell lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
footwell lights?

I read the Burtman instructions for the footwell light but I want to know what kind of light is used. Is there another way to wire them w/o passing the wires under the headliner? I've seen many people on the forum have these and I like them a lot. If anyone could elaborate on the install a little more, I would appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:40 AM

Hey momo. I found some nice chrome housings with white frosted glass units at Checker Auto. They were about 3 bucks each. They use the 194 'corner' bulb, so I put some hyper-white wedgies in. Give a nice blue-white glow...matches my dome lights too. I screwed them to the kick panels. My Runner does'nt have door 'pin-switches' to activate the dome like my old Datsun. Running the wires up one side and under the headliner is'nt too hard. I used a hanger through the dome hole in the headliner and taped the wires to the end. Just pull the hanger back out and the wires are there. EZ hook up. Good luck.
butnut
Old 10-10-2002, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I really like that mod idea as well. Now here I go sounding stupid again but what exactly are you talking about when your talking about wiring it, I dunno maybe it's some of the words your using, I really don't know but I'm having a hard time getting a visual of things, and how to even doing this mod.. If anyone doesn't mind talking dumb for me and making any more since please do. Thanks for putting up w/ my ignorance at times.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:13 AM
CTB

In order for the footwell lights to light up, they will have to get some voltage from somewhere. So, the guys who have done this mod had to tap into a wire with voltage (I get the impression that they used the dome light wire) so that they could get the footwell lights to light up.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:38 AM

Hey Mr Butnut: What year is your Runner?? They all have door pin switches. They are at the bottom of the "B" post and have a rubber cover on it. Check it out. Probably easier to tap into there. The only thing is that you have more control if you wire it to the dome since you can turn them on manually....

Old 10-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

The ground to the dome light is switched to turn the light on. I tapped in at the dome light and used a relay. I know, this is overkill. Anyway, it works fine and fishing the wire over the headliner is not too bad. You need to remove the trim at the edge of the headliner to grab the wire. If you do it this way the dome light switch controls the footwell lights. I also put some lights under the front seats to light up the floor in the backseat area.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Butnut,
Where can I get some footwell lights like that online? The ones that I am using suck and I want to replace them with something better and that I can change the bulb in to match my new dome and map light bulbs. Anyone know where to get these things online? Later.

Matt
Old 10-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

speaking of lights, anybody know what type of bulb is in my map light? I thought it was the double ended bulb that's in the cargo and regular dome light but it's not it's a regular looking bulb. Also what type of bulbs are the reverse lights?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, i have done this mod as well. I want to find better lights to put in though b/c mine are really ghetto looking, and one of them burned out after a couple months It wasn't too bad getting through the head liner. It took me a bit to figure out it was the ground which turned it on. How did u guys secure the wire to the switch?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by pfdaxe
Hey Mr Butnut: What year is your Runner?? They all have door pin switches. They are at the bottom of the "B" post and have a rubber cover on it. Check it out. Probably easier to tap into there. The only thing is that you have more control if you wire it to the dome since you can turn them on manually....

DOUH! Never bothered to look there. I tapped into the dome as I work out of my truck and usually have a door open so I need to shut it off. Hey David. I think Jason had some instructions on his site. I just made the wire ends long enough to go through the holes in the bulb tabs and twist it. The bulb ends kinda hold it in place. I put a little solder on it too.
Matt, I don't know who sells those online...does Checker have an online store? Don't remember the brand...generic I guess. The quality is good, chrome steel (not plastic) and real glass. Perfect size and they look kool...most American cars I've seen just have a bare bulb hanging under the dash...cheezeball.
Sleepy, your rev. bulb is the same as your turn sigs (front or rear). Single filament. The hyper-whites (which I have) look great at night. The blue bulb color sure looks illegal by day, turns my lens blue...you know the cops here. I painted the top half of the bulb silver. It took away some of the brightness, but still looks better than the stock 'yellow' bulbs. Clueless on the map light...us guys don't need no stinkin' maps.
Stump, check Jason's site (I know he had something on there)...go Radio Shack and get some spools of wire (2 colors or the 3 pack). Fairly straightforward install. As Hbum sez, some side trim panels (by the seatbelt) need to be popped off to hide the 2 long wires coming out of the headliner. Run it under the door sills (4 screws), remove the kick panels and hookup. My panel clip cut through one of my wires when I pushed it back..don't leave too much slack, you'll need some, but be careful. Good luck all...
butnut
Old 10-11-2002, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks alot butnut, I think I finally get it. I think I'll go run into a few shops today and get the parts while my baby is in the shop getting all lifted an pretty, I'm like a little boy on Christmas Eve waiting for my cell to ring, and it be the shop tell'n me she's all done.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:06 AM

do any of you have a red light in the doors that come on when they are opened? it might be a silly question but i have them on my hilux and was just curoius?
Old 10-11-2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by mark from uk
do any of you have a red light in the doors that come on when they are opened? it might be a silly question but i have them on my hilux and was just curoius?
I think the older models had that.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Sleepy,
The only bulb that I was able to find for our map lights was this one http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/rayr1platwhi1.html
They look really good! I replaced my two dome lights (http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/pixtremsupwh.html) and my two map lights and it really has a nice look now. Really, really white light with a very, very slight bluish tinge from a distance. In the car, it just looks really white. Give em a shot. They are cheap. Now if I can just find some replacement footwell lights and add these bulbs in them also. Butnut I sent you an email. Later.

Matt
Old 10-12-2002, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by mark from uk
My friends 2nd gen had those...only he made his green. Bent some green plexi...looked kool. he's a mod nut like me. Changed/modded lot of small stuff.
Probably a safety feature...should be easy to do something similar for the 3rd gens.
butnut
Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM

I just added footwell lights (6 inch blue neon) to my 4Runner by snaking the footwell light wires over the headliner to the dome light. The left neon works as desired. However, the right neon doesn't. When I connect only one of the R side neon wires to the dome, the neon lights up and stays on even if the dome light is set to "OFF". If I connect the other R side neon wire, the dome light stays on no matter setting it is in, even "OFF".

Last edited by wiseguymmiv; 03-22-2008 at 12:12 AM.