Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

First off-roading trip..with the wife!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off-roading trip..with the wife!

I was going to put this over in off-road reports, but since it short with no pictures and really 4runner centric...

Yesterday (yes yesterday) wife and I picked up the "Guide to Colorado backroads and 4-wheel drive trails" from BN. On page 226 you will find the trails around Rampart. Sure, everyone has been there...but...we had not. So we chose Dakan Road as our entry point. Now let me first say the wife has never been "off-roading". I have done a bit. Anyhow, I wanted to choose the easy roads to break her in and not break anything. Anyhow, those who know this road will know there is a Fork halfway up where you are supposed to take a left-we took a right....

Well, being that I "knew" where we were going, as the road became quite rutted, required changing sides as there was a major erosion rut down the center and trees threatened to take out both doors...we figured something was wrong. Our road was rated as "easy" yet this was becoming difficult.

So we found a little turn off to check things out. My wife was looking pale and I realized we were quickly supassing the 4runners capability. I got out to check things out and quickly almost fell on my butt-the road was that steep. At that point I knew if we continued, certaintly it meant a long hike out...

I aired the rear tires down to 20PSI (left the front normal as they had 1500lbs of engine over them), backed up and headed up. Wow was it steep! Now we had to dodge gullies and keep moving. The latter was easier as were going downhill. At one point the truck stoppped as two wheels were off the ground. No matter, magic button is here. I locked in the rear axle (standard equipment on my rig). Up she when like there was no stopping her. Wow, I love this machine. If you don't have a locker, stay home.

By the way, if you are interested where all this fun could be, here is the link. No OHV sticker required.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...wloc=addr&om=1

Anyhow, were able to return back to Dakan road. Nice easy run up into rampart range. The only issue was yielding to motorcycles. I was surprised that today there was a total of three bikes. Anyone who knows this road will tell you not much is exciting except for two obstacles. One on a turn and the large rock outcropping. Funny thing though was that my wife got out to walk the outcropping.

As far as the 4runner goes, it is bone stock except for OME springs in the rear. I used the locker three times. I don't like to leave it in as it can cause more problems than it solves. I have running boards, a spare tire and monster hitch. It has no engine mods (not even the deckplate).

Out of the box with OME springs, this thing rocks. If I had a partner, I might even try even more challenging runs. Looking at it now, with relatively few mods, the 4runner is more than capable on most roads. Certainly better than a exloder or Pathloser. Even better than a Jeep loser. But hey, what do I know. I drive a 4runner.

I had a blast. Of course, I am going back with the dirt bike to show Rampart who is boss.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the little adventure-hope Dakan Road was not all washboarded for the descent, I have come down it a few times as slowly as possible and still watched the rear end want to come around and lead.

That's a good entry point to that area and a little less congested than entering from the north-or just to the west of Sedalia-

Stay safe