Finally In New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
P.M. sent!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner

I will take a look at the holders, not too sure just exactly what you are specifically referring to, but I will check it out. The plates here are longer and narrower then ours. I have managed to squirrel away a couple of the current plates and one chap let me have the lone one off the yards old and I mean OLD Suzuki samari, it is the previous black and white one. So I guess what I am asking you is it for a 3rd gen or 2nd gen rear holder? Swing-a-way spare tire carrier or standard rear liftgate? either way I plan on getting out to take a few more truck pics over the next few days. More as it happens.
I'm referring to the black part in this pic that says Hilux Surf, and the 2 little black clips below it that hold up the license plate. It is attached to the lift gate, but I am unsure how.

Maybe this part is different for New Zealand, since the license plates are different?

Those Samurai's are awesome little vehicles, I think in different parts of the world they are still being sold. I wouldn't be surprised if you said you saw a few 2012 models rolling passed you at some point down there.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I found a 96 today and it has the type of holder you mentioned and showed. The upper part is attached to the lift gate but as it is similar to the how the second gen holds it license plate. There are 2 black clips like in the photo above but the plates here are attached at the top with screws. They also have holders that clip around the plate to secure them. I took a few picks of the 96 I found today. I dpn't anticipate getting back to a yard before I leave in 3 days though.

As for the black holder above that says HiLux Surf that also holds the plate light, I'm pretty sure that it is bolted through the lift gate into the inside of the liftgate.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 AM

AFAIK those black clip is just to "catch" the plate if It falls,not attach it.

Nick
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Hey ritzy... I was going to suggest you get in touch with falcon... how goes it nick?...
there's another recent new member joined up from the north Island near auckland a few mos. ago...
I would speak up for that non sun roof fmu when you get back but cash is tight just now lol...
did you bring your own tools down with you or borrow from the family when you were there?

my cousin is going down to nz for a yr beginning in April... I may have to arrange to send her and her bf to the yards for me lol...
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 AM

I was wondering about those clips but here in NZ they may justy be that, to catch the plate but I'm thinkin that the plates in alot of other places may be like ours. Those clips would be to hold the lower edge of a larger plate with screws to attach at the top. The real thing is the light holder across the top of the plate. That has to be physically bolted to the lift gate.

Aviator, if you have a real desire for the non-sunroof FMU, shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.

I wish I had more time as well and could have spent some time a bit farther north but I am now two days away from leaving to come home. While I did find some great items there are others now that I wish I could havesnagged like that rear wing with mirror ... next time. I did bring a few of my onw tools, 8,10,12,14 mm combo both phillips and flat tip screw drivers and a pair of lineman pliers. needle nose would be better as a small set of diagonals. I will keep looking for different Toyota's in my last few days and will sort out the pics for posting later but , yeah I'm having a blast!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Ritzy...

Gotta love a man who takes his own tools on vacation to the other side of the planet... and a woman who lets him get away with it...

...wonder what TSA thought when they screened your bags?...
Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Thanks Ritzy...

Gotta love a man who takes his own tools on vacation to the other side of the planet... and a woman who lets him get away with it...

...wonder what TSA thought when they screened your bags?...
Yeah, she was very tolerate of my having to stop at a couple of yards. But she is known to talk to strange men about drivng trains. You think they had some fun when they screened it leaving ... wait til tomorrow when I come back through Customs!

Went to a Steam Festival and it was a great thing I did. Met a chap who has a love of steam tools and engines but guess what he was driving? Yep, a Yota. 1999 HiLux Surf SSR-X a.k.a. 4runner in millium silver, turbo diesel, has the fender trim like a limited but he has what would have been an SR5 interior. Being he had an intercooler diesel he had the scooped hood! He says she can really swallow the air! This guy swears this is the best truck Toyota has ever built, says it is way better and more powerful the the petrol version. He then told me, "wish you had been here earlier and I didn't have the trailer hooked, we'd take her for a spin!" Great chap and took some gr8 photos of his truck along with the mirror on the wing and he showed me how it operates and how it can be like a bit like having an orgasm, "you don't know what its like till ya have one!" I was on the ground in tears I was laughing so hard. There was also a gr8 fender mirror too which is actually a double mirror as you can not only see the side of the truck and rearward but across the front bumper. I will load up pics of that truck too. I will be heading back home tomorrow so hopefully within a week I will have things to share and I hope I don't have too much over weight in my bag!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 03-25-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

ahh so she's a "railfan"... does she do models?... I used to have a business that made detail parts...

love those steam shows myself the old steam tractors etc... I want to build a nice little fantail steam launch one day...

have a safe flight home

Last edited by aviator; 03-25-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
ahh so she's a "railfan"... does she do models?... I used to have a business that made detail parts...

love those steam shows myself the old steam tractors etc... I want to build a nice little fantail steam launch one day...

have a safe flight home
anks Aviator, yes she has been a rail fan since her teenage days. She used to "sneak" out and knew some of the engineers on the local New Zealand Rail trains that went through her home town of Dannevirke and learnd how to drive the old diesels! She wanted to get into that but then there were no women in the railroad service. We had a gr8 time too. I got my stuff back home through customs without issue so that was great. I will attempt to check the FMU's out but as far as I could tell they are both complete less the one mirror cover, all the pigtails and the sensors. Almost want to keep them, but anyway I have those and two sets of 1st gen cab covers. Will start to sort out my pics and post them up as well. Will have to probably ask how to post them here in the phot album section. Great to be back home
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome Home... I had an open invite to spend the night anytime with one of the local switching crews and learn how to run the loco [EMD SW1200 CNR version] but could'nt get sched. freed up before they closed that yard and moved ops up to the main yard which has no public access... RATS!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM
JFW

Hey Ritzy, this thread is more than a bit dusty but is there any way you could upload some pics of those 1st gen Hilux Surf b-pillar and rear emblems? I've been trying to find pictures, but nothing comes up.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:24 PM

I will have to check my archive photos from the trip. I also took a lot of Toyota truck pics too with quite a few variations. Unfortunately my girl friend broke up with me about 8 months ago and I may not get back down there for awhile, but let me see what I can find
Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 PM
JFW

That would be much appreciated. Sorry to hear about your break up. If you find them, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my email address. Thanks man!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 PM
JFW

Hey, just checking back in. Any luck finding those pics? Hope all is well.