Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Exhaust Opinion Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Opinion Question

OK guys, on my X-Mas list is a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler.

I was wondering what you guys would do. Re-route the pipes to do a dual out the back or just keep the stock route out the side.

If I were to do dual outlet and single muffler versus single muffler single outlet what would the sound difference be? Would there be a big difference in tone/roar? I just really want something deep sounding while cruising around town or school. I don't want anything extremely loud or obnoxious.

Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 12-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Exhaust Opinion Question

Originally posted by 4x4Fink

I was wondering what you guys would do. Re-route the pipes to do a dual out the back or just keep the stock route out the side.

If I were to do dual outlet and single muffler versus single muffler single outlet what would the sound difference be? Would there be a big difference in tone/roar? I just really want something deep sounding while cruising around town or school. I don't want anything extremely loud or obnoxious.

Thanks guys!

Fink
if you wheel, don't go out the back, you'll only drag them real bad. I just put in a magnaflow 11255 about two weeks ago, I kept the stock pipe and just cut the old muffler out and stuck the new one in it's place. Pipe is pipe in my opinion unless you are doing the whole system, headers and all.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

I'll probably just have them use the stock route and just cut the pipe off after the cat, and use all new piping from there on. And I'll go ahead and spend the money to get a nice tip...how much do you think it will cost all in all?

I have decided to go with a Dynomax muffler per the suggestions of Doink and others who have them and/or heard them.

The muffler will run ~45-50 bucks all I need now is the labor cost and piping from the back of the cat to the tip.

Thanks for replying keisur!

Fink
Old 12-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Exhaust Opinion Question

Thanks guys!

Fink
Fink,

Out the back, there has got to be a gay joke there somewhere, you will get exhaust in the cab with the back window down. Not to mention what keisur said. Just stick with the side and if you must go dual, go out the other side.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:38 AM

Keisur, How do you like the sound/tone of you magnaflow. I am trying to get one installed over christmas.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I will just go stock route...

Yes I was thinking the same thing as you Brian...take it out the back, but wouldn't it have to be in...

Fink
Old 12-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by runnerboy97
Keisur, How do you like the sound/tone of you magnaflow. I am trying to get one installed over christmas.
I like it. when I first put it in I cranked up the car in the garage and it was extremely loud. then I took it for a test and it burned in, smelly, keep the windows up for the first couple of miles. After a couple days the tone and sound sort of mellowed to a nice purr and roar when I first fire it up. now I can hear the drone while cruising between about 1000 and 2000 rpm's. can't really hear it after that because the mud tires take over after that.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

I was thinking of going with Magnaflow but I think the Dynomax sounds better...what do you all think? Magnaflow or Dynomax and why?

I just mainly want a deep roar when I start it up and at cruising speeds.

Fink
Old 12-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

I got my dynomax and install at the shop because I didnt want to wait for delivery and i couldnt weld. Total for muffler, install, and tip was 130. Its a bit more expensive than if you buy it online and have a shop install it, which I tihnk would cost about 100 total if you did that but i cuoldnt wait . I used stock piping and had them add the 18" tip and move the hanger towards the back so you dont see any of the old piping or the hanger and jsut the stainless tip. Looks good that way. Oh and if you are thinking about duals, I was thinking the same too but besides the fumes thing someone mentioned before, the shop guy told me that its louder. Also, not sure bout the 2nd gen, but for 3rd gens, theres the spare to worry about so not much room and you might have to do a dummy pipe like some have done. Duals are more expensive too
Old 12-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

No more duals for me...if I were to go duals I was going to take off my spare and put the pipes through there. But then I remember that I may be hauling a boat here soon and that if I were to unload it I would have to back into the water a good ways and the pipes would be sunk...so...bad idea!

I am hoping it will cost 100 or less. That is my price range...

Thanks for all the replies guys, this is great!

NEW THREAD TOPIC!!!!

Magnaflow or Dynomax and WHY?!?!?!

Fink
Old 12-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

I just mainly want a deep roar when I start it up and at cruising speeds.

Fink
That's how my magnaflow sounds.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Magnaflow or Dynomax and WHY?!?!?!

Fink
Did you rule out the flowmaster? I got mine shipped to my door for $60 then paid a shop $100 to weld up 2 1/2" cat back pipe. I've been very happy with the investment and I get lots of good comments about it.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:20 PM

I like my magnaflow.

It's got a little bit of drone cuz I stay around 1.8-2k rpm, and that's pretty much the loudest part

So I guess you've changed ur mind about the flowmaster?

My friend just got a flowmaster 40 series put on, and I thought my muffler was loud, but his is a lot louder.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Magnaflow, I like how it sounds and it seems to sound better the longer that I have had it. Still sounds pretty good with a couple of good dingers in it too.

Duals will get toasted, but sound super cool.

My tail pipe was tucked up basically on the rear vumper right behind the tire and I still toasted it. If you are concerned about that, have it cut just before the tire so it dumps just near the edge of the body, but up where the tip will be safe.

I would just scuff up those covers with some sand paper and shoot them with gloss black. Not sure you can do more than that.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 PM

This doesn't necessarily apply to you since im a four banger but ill tell ya anyway. The pic shows what Im having installed on Monday (I cant wait ) Its a 4x9 Magnaflow 2-1/2 in and 2-1/2 out($50 bucks ebay). That body bracket is a magnaflow peice($40 bucks Yikes!). It'll work with the factory mounts which is super cool. The tip is Borla (square intercooled slash cut)($35, $65 retail) That pipe its on is the intermediate peice between the cat and the muffler, Im gonna have them extend that so the muffler and bracket will line up where the original mount is. Im think about having them bend the pipe so it runs through the leaf spring and the frame right behind the tire. I dont really want to have to use the drop bracket setup if I dont have to (the exhuast hangs to low with it) It should look good and hopefully sound good when done.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Now I don't know...I have heard good things about puttin a Flowmaster on a 3.slow and I've heard bad things.

What do you think will be the deepest? I don't want loud, just something that sounds cool at low RPM's...I don't want a rice sounding pipe that knocks your socks off.

Now I am leaning more towards a Magnaflow...where is the best place to order from?

Thanks for all the replies, gettin' some good feedback I LIKE IT!

Fink
Old 12-09-2003, 08:09 PM

Heres where I got mine, basically order one up and tell him what style and size. $53 bucks shipped. Cant really beat that, atleast I couldn't. The magnaflow designs are straight through I dont know about the dynamax, I think it depends on which one. The magnaflows are prolly gonna be one of the louder ones of the bunch but I dunno.

Ebay
Old 12-09-2003, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search for Magnaflow on the net.

Use the dealer locator and find someone local.

Go to their place and have them install one. These sorts of places look more highly upon installing their own stuff although I doubt they will turn down other things.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Fink, the Magnaflow is deeper and louder.

You have been to my exhaust page?
Vids there of sound bytes of mine and others.

As Adrain stated, the Magnaflow gets better sounding too as it ages.
Kind of like Wisconsin cheese
Old 12-10-2003, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Exhaust Opinion Question

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Fink,

Out the back, there has got to be a gay joke there somewhere, you will get exhaust in the cab with the back window down. Not to mention what keisur said. Just stick with the side and if you must go dual, go out the other side.

I have a Magnaflow 1-in-2-out to dual exhaust pipes that exit alongside the trailer hitch bar. They look great, sound OK. (see pic)

I've had NO problems with exhaust coming in through the rear window, and I have it down a lot. It just doesn't happen.

As for dragging offroad, that might happen. I wouldn't know -- have yet to be offroad. However, if the pipes drag, so will the trailer hitch, since it hangs lower than the pipes.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Opinion Question-exhaust.jpg  

Quick Reply: Exhaust Opinion Question