Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

does there exist a "built" 3.4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does there exist a "built" 3.4?

Besides gadget that is. People are always building up the usual small blocks and stuff, has anybody done much to our 3.4 or is it just too trusty? I'm at 135,000 right now and my day will come to replace or rebuild, I'd rather rebuild it better than new. Bored out, aftermarket pistons, maybe rods, sounds like the bottom end is solid but bearings would be replaced... These days any car/truck/SUV sporting 3.4 liters or better (especially with dual overhead cams) are putting out well over 200 hp while we're sitting at 180. Granted, torque is a more important number to us, but I always scratch my head when I see the stats of current or recent V6's. Cripes, Kia's little SUV numbers put us to shame. Any links or info regarding "building" the 3.4? That Toy 4.0 looks more in line btw....
Old 10-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

yes several people on here have done some mods to their rnine
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimabena74
yes several people on here have done some mods to their rnine

not sure what that means, but i dont know of anyone with a bored 3.4 with aftermarket pistons (unless gadgets done that)....

the 'high performance' 3.4 engines on here are those with deckplates and isrs, lol. theres some people with TRD exhaust/headers, and the s/c is a big one. i dont know if that's what you're looking for though...
Old 10-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Banned

looks to be all for the 3.0...
Old 10-13-2005, 09:29 PM

I'm looking for somebody who has took what Toyota gave us (very solid btw) and made it better for the purpose of horsepower and torque. They could have ported and polished the heads, put in larger valves, put in cams (4) with a different grind, put in oversized pistons and performance rods, and on an on to lifters and blah blah blah... Basically we hear about air intake (cold air, ISR, deckplate, supercharger, Amsoil) and exhaust (headers, catback, muffler). We also hear about fuel mods with the supercharger (pump, injectors, pressure regulator). There's a lot of internals that can be changed (especially during a rebuild). That's the kind of info I'm looking for.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
I'm looking for somebody who has took what Toyota gave us (very solid btw) and made it better for the purpose of horsepower and torque. They could have ported and polished the heads, put in larger valves, put in cams (4) with a different grind, put in oversized pistons and performance rods, and on an on to lifters and blah blah blah... Basically we hear about air intake (cold air, ISR, deckplate, supercharger, Amsoil) and exhaust (headers, catback, muffler). We also hear about fuel mods with the supercharger (pump, injectors, pressure regulator). There's a lot of internals that can be changed (especially during a rebuild). That's the kind of info I'm looking for.
i dont think that anyone makes internals for the 3.4 yet, i know that LCE makes stuff for the 2.7, but i haven't seen anything for the 5vzfe yet
Old 10-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

It's a lot easier to just add a SC and a piggyback to control the timing. Then you are running about 250hp (I think). The engine can take it in stride. I don't see any point in making something harder than it has to be.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 PM

You're missing my point here: there comes a time when your cylinder walls are shot and you need to bore them out and put in oversized pistons and may have other worn out parts at that point. "i don't think that anyone makes internals yet"... any of the piston/rod companies will make pistons and rods to the specs you need, they're out there, trust me. Please don't attempt to answer if you don't know.... I also wonder how much the stock block can take as far as boring, some recent walls are pretty think from the get go....
Old 10-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Contributing Member

please let me know of your findings.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

I'd check out
http://www.urdusa.com/ I believe Gadget is one of the co-owners
http://www.f2uning.com/pages/10/index.htm - they've built a a couple boosted 4runners, seems like they'd be able to help you with any questions
Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are very few people that have gotten to that level of engine modification on the 3.4L motor. The links HOJU provided above should allow you to contact people who have done stuff like that and can hopefully give you the info you are looking for.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
any of the piston/rod companies will make pistons and rods to the specs you need, they're out there, trust me. Please don't attempt to answer if you don't know.... I also wonder how much the stock block can take as far as boring, some recent walls are pretty think from the get go....
I've seen in print people stating that the stock block could handle upwards of 800hp. Like you say, it's quite a piece of work.

Ditto what Jamie said, the links that HOJU posted are the places to start looking for real info. One of the links there is Gadget's online biz (URDUSA), and I know his latest project is still "external" in the sense that he's pushing about 26psi of boost through turbos. I don't think he's gone inside yet.

The real no-limit players for the 3.4L are the F2uning guys. They'll be the ones to talk at the level you're looking for. Not to say that Gadget can't (he certainly can) but they've got more hands-on with stripping motors than he does.

97% of the folks here are doing bolt-ons (s/c, methanol spraying, exhaust, igntions) and those that are doing more are having too much fun to spend time posting. The standard bolt-on crowd is pushing about 310hp at the wheels - that just about double from stock. But yeah, there's more power to be had from this engine.

Have fun!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

I would be very interested in what you find out. Keep us posted on what you find. I think the 3.4l is one of the better designed blocks that Toyota has done. It seems to be very solid and reliable. I am surprise that more has not been done to test its' limits.

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:07 PM

I'm interested as well.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:12 PM

Do you guys think that the IS300 boards would have some info on the build up of the 3.4? Don't we share the same motor?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

I think he wants to know if there's anybody's 3.4 that handles 500+ horsepower which is far from stock.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2000t4r
Do you guys think that the IS300 boards would have some info on the build up of the 3.4? Don't we share the same motor?

the is300 has a 2jz-ge engine.
inline 6 engine. basically the non-turbo version of the supra.

same engine as the Gen 2 GS300
Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM

Ahhhhh alright well forget that idea then

I don't ahve a clue then
Old 10-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Well,
It seems like your heading (or wanting to head) into uncharted waters. Like you said, there are companies out there that will custom build you anything you need/want. But, when its custom... its not going to be cheap. There is no way you will not spend a ton of money and it will be a lot more than you anticipated. Then, if your going through all the trouble of building the engine, you might as well over build it a bit and put some forged pieces in so you can boost the piss out of it and get some crazy numbers. Basicly, if you want more than 300hp, which can be attained with bolt-ons, you might as well go crazy with it because your going to spend an arm and a leg either way. If you are worried about your engine failing, then you might as well just start a savings account with all the money you would use and then by the time it does die, you will be able to make one hell of an engine and do it right. One thing though, no matter how fast it is... it will never run like it did from the factory. Thats the only thing about custom tuning, it will never be as perfect as the program designed by Toyota.

That said,
I can't wait for someone to take the plunge!!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:28 PM

From LCEngineering's October Newsletter:

>>For those who have the 3.4L (5VZFE) Toyota V-6 engine, we expect to complete our new product line within the next two months. It's been a long time coming! Forged pistons, over-sized valves, camshafts as well as the major engine components just to name a few things. Stay tuned and we look forward to this new product line.<<

Quick Reply: does there exist a "built" 3.4?