Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

cut headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Churnd
Well, Downey has their own catalog with their own prices. I think they want to sell their products directly out their door rather than supply them through other resalers. Most of their products, such as their suspension lifts, can only be purchased directly through them (as far as I know). I think resalers just buy the products at the same cost as Downey sells to everyone, and marks it up a little (or a lot). Downey doesn't seem to put a lot of effort into advertising or marketing. If they advertised a little more and upgraded their website to where people could place orders with them through it, I guarantee other resalers would stop carrying their products, as nobody would buy from them anymore.
Yeah, the marketing seems a bit short. I only knew of them by word-of mouth from the forum here in older discussions about the topic.

btw, I just got off the phone with Downey. Their direct pricing is $364.79 for ceramic coated headers for the 3.4L V6; plus $135 for the crossover pipe. I'm breathing easier now. fwiw, Downey has non in stock locally, the headers are in production. They're looking at 3-4 week delivery time. Looks like I got lucky and caught the end of TP's stock.

Like I said above, I'll have mine tomorrow, but it'll be a bit before I get them installed. I want to try to get some horsepower and time trial runs done beforehand so that I can do comparisons.

...and I have to get myself fit into a local shop's schedule for an install. There's no way I'm gonna try this myself!

Last edited by midiwall; 09-29-2003 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall
I want to try to get some horsepower and time trial runs done beforehand so that I can do comparisons.
Is that gonna be on the Auterra software?
You gotta tell me how well it works!
Old 09-29-2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Is that gonna be on the Auterra software?
You gotta tell me how well it works!
{shhhhhhhh...}
Old 09-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW

My headers we're in "***2-4 week production time***" for over two months.

Direct quotes:

"Yep. We should get them in by mid to late March"

"Yeah it looks like mid April"

"We're expecting them to come in at the end of April"

...you get the picture

...they arrived in early May
---worth the wait though
Old 09-29-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by ksurfer
BTW

My headers we're in "***2-4 week production time***" for over two months.
Ouch...

---worth the wait though
YAY! That's what I like to hear!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall
{shhhhhhhh...}
Sorry, didn't mean to spill the beans!
Old 10-01-2003, 08:59 AM

Cutting the header flange is a fairly common thing to do. Some headers come that way, many are cut prior to installation. On rare instances, the header bolt can actually be sheared off due to differences in expansion rates of header and head. There is no durability or longevity downsides to cut flanges that I am aware of. If you don't leak, great. If you do, it's worth a try.
Cutting headers that have been coated will only allow the cut part to be exposed to the elements. No other problems. Coatings are bonded to the parent metal so there's no real worry of any further damage.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since there seem to be a lot of posts on headers right now, I thought I'd bump this thread back up... with an update. Still no leaks to this day. I'll try to get that pic re-hosted sometime soon.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Churnd
Since there seem to be a lot of posts on headers right now, I thought I'd bump this thread back up... with an update. Still no leaks to this day. I'll try to get that pic re-hosted sometime soon.
Hey Churnd could you give us another update on the cutting the header flange mod and re-host the pic. If you can't re-host the pic maybe you can describe the cutting. Thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 05:43 PM

How about some before and after performance thoughts? 0-60 times and such.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Churnd
Did you try to mount the headers on the stock manifold studs instead of taking them out and replacing them with the bolts Downey provided? I've been wondering if that would actually work.
Just to answer your question and maybe help someone else out on the swap, I used the existing studs rather than the Downey bolts for the reason of stripping the aluminum threads when trying to tighten the bolts. It went rather well. The drivers side gave no problems but the passenger side was a little difficult but not a big problem. They say that the passenger side is a PITA anyway. I didn't have the plenium installed at the time since I was in the midst of changing engines. I did fit the headers prior to installing engine and ended up grinding the power steering pump brkt rather than the header flange. I have read where some has used the shorter crossover and exhaust flange studs rather than the longer exhaust manifold ones. You would just have to purchase three more to make the complete change over but I couldn't really see any advantage to the shorter studs except maybe looks. Might have made a little difference in installing the passenger side though!! The studs do allow you a lot more torque on the flange studs without fear of stripping threads in the heads!! Also have read of trimming the Toyota exhaust gaskets and using them rather than the Downey supplied ones.
I personally cannot see a big loss or increase of low end torque but as said you can feel the difference at 3,000 RPM and above. Custom 2 1/2" Y-pipe around the rear of the transfer and no cat with a DeltaForce single in dual out muffler and dual tailpipes with the 3" stainless steel angle flange behind the rear wheel well. With the auto tranny low end torque was no real loss to notice anyway!! Hope that helps answer some of the questions I've read on this and other post!! Looks nice and sounds pretty nice also!! "Not ricey"
Old 03-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Churnd could you give us another update on the cutting the header flange mod and re-host the pic. If you can't re-host the pic maybe you can describe the cutting. Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Has anyone else tried cutting the header flange?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Chris sent me the picture of his cut headers and I've got it here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69352074WnAXiX

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-05-2005 at 01:52 PM.