Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Crankshaft pulley removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft pulley removal

I'm trying to replace the water pump on my 2000 4runner. I've been looking on the web site, and have seen some good writeups. But the crankshaft pulley won't come off.

I used a chain wrench around the pulley (using one of the old belts to keep from buggering up the grooves) and was able to get the bolt off. But I'm having a fit trying to get the pulley off. And I need some advice.

I've tried to use some soft hammer taps on the front to loosen it. I've tried to use some pry bars behind to to pop it off. Nothing is working.

Does anyone have additional thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A shot of a penetrate like PBlaster can help

and something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piec...set-37824.html
Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Make up this tool for holding the crank....especially helpful when re-torquing the crank bolt:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l-tool-186081/
Old 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM

I used the starter with breaker bar running to the frame. Just need to figure which side to put the breaker bar on. A quick hit of the started pops em right loose.
Be carefull!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MLiebal
I used the starter with breaker bar running to the frame. Just need to figure which side to put the breaker bar on. A quick hit of the started pops em right loose.
Be carefull!
OP said he has the bolt off already.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM

All right. Right before I posted originally, I hit it with quite a bit of PB blaster. Read about tapping it on either side, and decided to do it. So I gently tapped for about 2 min, and I couldn't pull it off. I got my pry bar, put it on the left side, and off it popped with little effort. Yeah, it's off...

Noooooo!!!!!! It's fallen onto the garage floor!!!! I pick it up, and it's buggered a little. So, there are three sets of grooves for the belts. Two of the four belt dividers have some chunks out of it. The chunks DO NOT dig into the belts. So I'm hoping that the pulley won't have to be replaced. I don't want to spend $400 on a new pulley (although I bet I could find it cheaper).
Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Mine's had a missing chunk on one of the inner dividers for a while now with no issues over thousands of miles so I'd call it worth a try.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah mine has some missing too from a similar even but on the outside instead. mine has been fine too.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
rent a jaw type puller
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM

yupp this is a pain. Harbor freight pulley puller, 10 bucks, two screws into pulley. Tighten center guide bolt and off she comes. I first tried tapping 1 st pulley but broke off some material. Luckily my spare motor had pulley.

Are you going to use snapon tool or remove tensioner?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM

I am going to remove and replace the tensioner. Bought a kit on eBay with everything. So I'm replacing the belts, tensioner pulley, as well as the other pulleys. Once I take the #1 cover off, I get to try and take off the ac compressor and bracket. Not going to be fun I don't think. It's awfully tight on that right side.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Wait, what did I miss? Why are you taking the a/c compressor off??? No tensioner tool?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not undersanding if you are replacing the pulley with the chunks in it. If you still use it, I would go over it with a file, but if it is to bad, I would hit the bone yard.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Hab: I bought an ebay kit with all the belts, a new tensioner, and some other pieces. So I was just going to replace everything since I had the parts. But looking through the information I have available, I need to pull off the A/C compressor to access the tensioner (at least from the way I'm reading them all).

Terry: I was thinking about replacing the pulley. But if others are using theirs with chunks out of it with no issues, I will think about re-using it. I like the idea of filing it down some though.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

There's a tool that'll keep you from having to mess with the compressor....
are you using this for your info... http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/ ?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ive done two t belt jobs and yet to remove the a/c pump
Old 09-27-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flightguy
I am going to remove and replace the tensioner. Bought a kit on eBay with everything. So I'm replacing the belts, tensioner pulley, as well as the other pulleys. Once I take the #1 cover off, I get to try and take off the ac compressor and bracket. Not going to be fun I don't think. It's awfully tight on that right side.
it is tight, 14mm 6 side socket and a big wrench. dont disconnect AC lines though. just remove and support off to side out of way with bungees. a friend said to me, if you disconnect ac lines you may have to recharge AC.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
ive done two t belt jobs and yet to remove the a/c pump
Have you replaced the tensioner with it? Unless someone is able tell me otherwise, the literature, and the view from below, looks like I have to detach the ac. I would love for someone to tell me there's another way though.

Originally Posted by sdsurfer
it is tight, 14mm 6 side socket and a big wrench. dont disconnect AC lines though. just remove and support off to side out of way with bungees. a friend said to me, if you disconnect ac lines you may have to recharge AC.
Definitely wasn't going to remove the lines. I was trying to figure out a good way to support it. I like bungies. And I have plenty of those.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Have you replaced the tensioner with it? Unless someone is able tell me otherwise, the literature, and the view from below, looks like I have to detach the ac. I would love for someone to tell me there's another way though.
yes here is one like snapon tool only not snapon. LoL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Schle...item3a5f30d10e

cool bungees are good. i used cable. LoL

also, how many miles? how much was kit on EBAY?

keep in mind, these are supposed to be redone at 90K. (with toyota oem)

i am unsure of ebay parts, but i am sure that toyota OEM is ideal since this is a job where a lot has to be removed. also, do you need to remove tension-er? I hear the toyota ones last like 3-4 hundred thousand miles. so the NEW ebay parts may be better in the box. good luck and search google for 3.4 snapon tool. if you use this tool you can compress tensioner, place pin in tensioner and remove belt without removing ac and bracket.

good luck let us know and take some pics

Last edited by sdsurfer; 09-27-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Have you replaced the tensioner with it?
Same as Elton. I didn't have the tool the first time so I had to remove the tensioner to compress it and get the 3mm allen in to hold it, then reinstalled it. Tight fit but doable. Second time I had the tool- what a difference in time and effort. The tensioner's hydraulic so take your time compressing it if you do use the tool. I did end up installing a new tensioner the second time. Do it either way you want but yeah, don't mess with the a/c lines.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pulley removal