Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Couple Coilover suspension install questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple Coilover suspension install questions....

Well I was going to start installing my Donahoe CO today and the first question is I bought the total chaos UCA with the extended hoes....so first off can I run just the coilovers for a few weeks until I get a chance to get the UCA on.....and second....is there any trick to putting these damn things in....On my tacoma it was a breeze but on my 4runner I have pryed stepped on the suspension disconnected the sway bar you name it and I am still 1/2 inch from the bottom hole on the coilover going in and it feels like the suspension cant go down any farther....any help would be awesome...i just want these damn things on!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not familiar with the Donahoes, but to get my SAW's on, we had to put a 3' pry bar in between the upper control arm and the upper coil seat to get leverage. Then, just pry down on the upper control arm and the bottom shock mount should have plenty of room.

You could also use the stock jack to lower the upper control arm as shown in this link:

http://www.sonoransteel.com/saw.html

Good luck!

Last edited by MATT0404; 05-04-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 PM

I'm sure you can run your COs without the new UCAs but you will have to undo everything to get the UCAs in. Do it all at the same time. You will want to get an alignment also. The new UCAs may help with the install problem of the COs, more droop.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya I'd just do them both at the same time, then you wouldn't have problems

But, since you're not:

Get your bottle jack, flip it up side down, slide in the wheel well, fit the smaller diameter side on top of the top ball joint/A-arm, and the "stand side" up against the metal of the wheel well. So you got your jack up side down, inside the wheel well, verticle... Now jack it "up"... well, actually once it mates with the fender metal, its going to push down, and push down your suspension components (a-arms, spindle). Then you'll be able to slide those suckers in there.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:57 PM

What i did when I installed my lift was to lossen off the inner bolts on the lower control arms. The bushings in the arms are captured bushings, so you are fighting against twisting the rubber in the bushing. When you lossen off the bolts, it allows the inner sleeve of the bushing to rotate.....giving you that last little bit that you need.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i used the bottle jack trick
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did the exact intall you are talking about (Donahoe/IVD extended travel coilovers). I've got a set of Camburg UCA's to put on later, but didn't feel like the hassle right now either.

I spoke with the folks at Icon Vehicle Dynamics and they said the only result will be premature wear on the upper ball joints because of the extra droop allowed by the coilovers. And, unless I'm jumping the truck or wheeling it hard, which I won't be until mid-summer, that damage would take a long time.

Like others here, I used a 3' pry bar to make it fit. I measured the original ride height and matched the CO's to stock, which kept me from having to get an alignment for awhile. I've since levelled the truck and had to get an alignment.

These shocks are incredible. I was afraid the heavier spring rate would be too harsh compared to the stock TRD/Bilstein setup. It's light years better than stock. Sucks up the little, meduim and big hits like they're not even there. Cush ride.

Good luck and hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM

Yeah I am excited to put them on...I will give it another go this weekend....luckily its not my DD so it sit in the garage on jacks until I can get at it again...but I will try saturday and see where i end up...thanks for the info
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Come down to SD for a visit and I'll help u!