My write up is better.

http://www.4runners.org/articles/clutchbush

Bob
Old 06-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Clutch Noises

Originally posted by chiefroqqa
What I don't look forward to is getting halfway into the job and finding I don't have the right tool, can't get something out/off etc...part of the fun I guess, and a good way to build up the tool selection!
I had that happen to me when I did the rear axle seal the first time. it was saturday at about 4pm and I realized, oh crap, I forgot to by retainers! Well #@#$@% and wouldn't you know it, the toyota parts places close at 1pm on saturdays around here. had to leave it sit until monday after work. that's what sucks.

Originally posted by Bob
[B] [\B]
hey, I have to agree. I didn't have a write-up to go by when I did mine so I winged it. I didn't have to take all that stuff out though. I took the drivers seat out and laid on my back and was able to just disconnect the linkage and let the pedal go as far as it wanted to. then I squeezed the two ends of the springs to pop them out of the white bushings and pulled the spring out, lubed up the slot, put the new bushing in and lubed it too and then inserted the middle of the spring into the slot/bushing and squeezed the two ends back into the white bushings. then reconnected the linkage and adjusted the play. voila! is there a certain reason you took everything out, like taking care of some other things while you were at it or something? I have to admit it took me a while to figure out but once I saw there was almost no load on the spring at the certain point, bing, and I had it.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

I too have the squealy clutch and the clutch shop I had it replaced at (Stock one lasted 115,000) has taken it out and replaced the T/O bearing three times now and the clutch fork the last time( all for free) Still squeals like crazy. It is more annoying than anything!
Old 06-04-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a certain reason you took everything out, like taking care of some other things while you were at it or something?
Keisur,

Can you take a pic of your hands so I can see what a GI Joe Kung Fu grip looks like in real life? Seriously, I was more concerned about ripping wires out (you know what I'm talking about) than anything else. My mistake was not doing what you did and removing the driver's seat for more room and leverage.

I removed the evap box (at least thats what I think it is) b/c I didn't have an extension that was able to fit and remove the master cylinder nuts.

Anyways, yes, sounds like you did it much more efficiently than I did, but I think most people wouldnt have the cojones to do it Keisur-style either.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 06-04-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Keisur,

Can you take a pic of your hands so I can see what a GI Joe Kung Fu grip looks like in real life? Seriously, I was more concerned about ripping wires out (you know what I'm talking about) than anything else. My mistake was not doing what you did and removing the driver's seat for more room and leverage.

I removed the evap box (at least thats what I think it is) b/c I didn't have an extension that was able to fit and remove the master cylinder nuts.

Anyways, yes, sounds like you did it much more efficiently than I did, but I think most people wouldnt have the cojones to do it Keisur-style either.

Bob
yeah, I guess I was risking a little safety there. I was wearing my safety glasses I lifted from the lab at work though. hehe. I was surprise there really wasn't much potential energy stored up once the pedal slammed up against the steering stuff, haha. it was actually kind of loose in that position. the spring will actually bend easily when you squeeze the ends toward eachother, that is how I figured out how to get it back in. I first tried to put the ends in and then use a prybar to snap the middle support into the pedal slot but a few things slipped, first: the prybar, 2nd: the spring, 3rd: a cussword or two, then I nearly schidt my pants when my knuckles hit something hard and sharp up under the steering junk. I got so pizzed that I threw the spring across the garage and then the prybar behind it. with the spring sitting on the floor and the prybar sticking out of the drywall about 3 feet above the floor I reallized that I could put one end in, then put the middle in the pedal slot, and then squeeze the other end and pop it into the white bushing really easy with one hand basically. As for my grip, well, I do have to admit since I windsurf almost every weekend day that my grip is stronger than most guys my size since I have to hang onto that boom and muscle the sail around on really high wind days. great sport it is! but I don't think that was a factor. I was stupid I should have replaced the two white end bushing since I had it apart, they weren't worn but you know. that is something to think about, Chiefrogga, get those two parts too since you'll have the spring out.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by keisur
I was stupid I should have replaced the two white end bushing since I had it apart, they weren't worn but you know. that is something to think about, Chiefrogga, get those two parts too since you'll have the spring out.
I will, I'm gonna go and get the parts on my lunch break. So, your method of replacing that bushing, do you think it's doable for the rest of us? I have kinda big hands, is there room to work in there? Could you give a little more detail on how you did it? What all did you disconnect first? The linkage and the harnesses? When you mentioned pedal slamming, how did this happen? While releasing the spring? Will it screw anything up?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by instntset
I too have the squealy clutch and the clutch shop I had it replaced at (Stock one lasted 115,000) has taken it out and replaced the T/O bearing three times now and the clutch fork the last time( all for free) Still squeals like crazy. It is more annoying than anything!
I wonder if there is anything that can be done? After they replaced the T/O bearing ( did they do the pilot as well? ) did the squeal go away and then return? I wonder if they are just crappy bearings Toyota's using in there? Maybe its not a bearing causing it? I'd imagine there's got to be a way to make that noise go away! Maybe when I do mine, I'll go with a different bearing than from Toyota, I'm scared to do this because overall Toyota parts seem to be the best quality, but maybe these bearings suck?
Old 06-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by chiefroqqa
I will, I'm gonna go and get the parts on my lunch break. So, your method of replacing that bushing, do you think it's doable for the rest of us? I have kinda big hands, is there room to work in there? Could you give a little more detail on how you did it? What all did you disconnect first? The linkage and the harnesses? When you mentioned pedal slamming, how did this happen? While releasing the spring? Will it screw anything up?

Thanks!
I'll have to go out and look at it. I'll post later in the afternoon about it. It was about a year or year and a half ago that I did it so I only remember the specifics on the really dramatic things during the process offhand. it took a while but of course I was figuring it out as I went so that probably why. I think it is doable by anybody with a will to do it really. the pedal didn't actually slam but I had it in my hand and I could feel the spring trying to pull it after I disconnected a few things so I let it up slowly until it rested against something. I think I may have removed what it rested on so I could lower the energy built up in the torsion spring but again I'm foggy right now, like a good buzz1. once I get a chance I'll go check it out and try to send you some picks with arrows of what I did. maybe I'll just get a wild hair and get the two white bushings and replace those for the hell of it so I can do a good write-up on it and make my mark in the forum, haha.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:35 AM

Chief,

If you have big hands, you may need to do what I did---move some stuff outta the way. My hands are normal size but even so, I moved stuff out of the way b/c I was more afraid of damaging things if I didn't move things outta the way.

Read my write up and if you have anymore questions, post or PM me.

Bob
Old 06-05-2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Chief,

If you have big hands, you may need to do what I did---move some stuff outta the way. My hands are normal size but even so, I moved stuff out of the way b/c I was more afraid of damaging things if I didn't move things outta the way.

Read my write up and if you have anymore questions, post or PM me.

Bob
I did read your article, very well done I must say. I was planning on doing it your way, making sure I have all the tools I need, until Keisur's post got me thinkin ( thats dangerous, shouldn't do so much of it)....if his way is quicker/easier I'm all for it, *BUT* I don't want to break anything else in the process, so that's why I'm asking so many dumb questions. Not that this job won't be a pain to begin with, but if I ended up breaking something while I was at it....lets say that would suck!! I'm gonna do it this weekend. If Keisur posts his method, I might try it, or at least give it a shot, and if I think its not gonna work for me or take too long, I'll probably use your method...so I'll let you all know which way I go with it....

What all do you have on your site? I noticed its a register site..got more tech articles?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:07 PM

Chief,

Though Keisur's method requires less work, again, I did not want to take the risk of tearing any wires or breaking anything down there. You won't have much room to manuever and working on removing the spring is a bit difficult, esp if you have large hands as you say. Not saying that it can't be done, but for me, the added steps of removing the stuff made it easier (though time consuming).

As for my other articles, they're all in the Tech section. Corey hasn't had time to include the clutch bushing one that I posted here. I just write articles as I do those repairs/mods. My website is about 75% done. Its just a matter of finding the time to finish.

Bob